• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official Accuracy International AT First Look

So..... I own an AE MkIII and am super happy now that I've tweaked the trigger a bit, modified my Spuhr rings to fit and gotten the chassis torqued properly to eliminate cold bore issues. I know the dimensions of the UK barrel that came on it. Is it unreasonable to ask the dimensions of a product that I wish to buy? I guess I can avoid the veil of secrecy by simply measuring what I have and turning a barrel sourced elsewhere as I wish. I didn't think it would be a big deal to ask but even here it seems vague. Thanks for any input those in the know are allowed to divulge.

Your compulsion to flame threads with generic, assenine comments is even more lame than I thought...just sayin'.

This thing weighs as much of a tank, has quick change barrel system that you need to thread in? This is innovative? Wow the gun industry is even more lame that I already thought of it.

Hey Tom,

Is AI still seriously considering a left handed version of the AXMC series com the 3rd quarter? I want to have some idea of whether I should by an AX now or just wait.

Since AI is setting a new standard, I suggest they come out with the left handed version first. That will generate some buzz. We left handers deserve a break for once.

So..... I own an AE MkIII and am super happy now that I've tweaked the trigger a bit, modified my Spuhr rings to fit and gotten the chassis torqued properly to eliminate cold bore issues. I know the dimensions of the UK barrel that came on it. Is it unreasonable to ask the dimensions of a product that I wish to buy? I guess I can avoid the veil of secrecy by simply measuring what I have and turning a barrel sourced elsewhere as I wish. I didn't think it would be a big deal to ask but even here it seems vague. Thanks for any input those in the know are allowed to divulge.

Sorry about the secrecy but I signed an NDA and value my relationship with AINA. So all I can say is ask an AI distributor or AINA for technical details.

Understood. Thank you! Bartlein likely is in the same boat. One well respected dealer told me the contour on the NA barrels is different than the UK barrels. Another told me 24" and under, NA and UK are the same but over 24", the NA barrels are similar to a Palma barrel......fwiw....

Honestly I don't get why a contour matters in this context.

Contours for a hunting rifle are different than contours for a tactical rifle.

Contours for an AI are pretty specific and it's not like you can order one with a different contour, you get what they give you.

If you want a different contour you can order a barrel from someone else like GAP... then you can specify it, but from AI... no.

What do you think you would gain by knowing if the barrel is a Medium Palma or a Remington Varmint variation ?

Proprietary information, also known as a trade secret, is information that a company wishes to keep confidential or protect from those outside the company.

Just saying.

Your saying the barrels are proprietary for their contour? Remind me how that works once I've got a barrel and can ask a smith or bartlien to send me another one.....

Since AI is setting a new standard, I suggest they come out with the left handed version first. That will generate some buzz. We left handers deserve a break for once.

AINA won't commit to actual production of newer lefty rifles.

It's going to be a very long wait, if they ever make them at all.

I'm currently designing my own switch barrel system. Just need to get a custom action maker to build to my specs. It will all me made in the USA and total rifle weight should be around 12lbs all done up with mag, bipod, and Nightforce 5-22x50.

Your saying the barrels are proprietary for their contour? Remind me how that works once I've got a barrel and can ask a smith or bartlien to send me another one.....

I'm not saying you can't do that but really. Any and all technical drawings I have are covered by the NDA. I can't pick and choose what to share. Seems like pretty simple concept to me.

As with any new products there is information and disinformation that seems to get out. As of right now, we are being told that the AT's will come with both UK and Bartlein bbls. For those customers that ordered a Bartlein, we will insure that they get a Bartlein.. one way or another!

So the .308 barrels are UK, and the .264 barrels are Bartlein/Tooley?

I'm not saying you can't do that but really. Any and all technical drawings I have are covered by the NDA. I can't pick and choose what to share. Seems like pretty simple concept to me.

I just find it weird that barrel contours are covered by a NDA.

I'm currently designing my own switch barrel system. Just need to get a custom action maker to build to my specs. It will all me made in the USA and total rifle weight should be around 12lbs all done up with mag, bipod, and Nightforce 5-22x50.

How nice but this thread is about an AI rifle.

As my old instructor at Quantico would say to my lefty buddy, you're either right handed or wrong handed... :D

who cares who makes the barrel? they both shoot really frickin good. LW, Borders, or Bartleins. I had an ae mkiii myself with a lw barrel and it was an absolute laser with any 308 match ammo.

I can't wait for the AT!!!

As my old instructor at Quantico would say to my lefty buddy, you're either right handed or wrong handed... :D

We're the only ones in our right minds :D

I watched this comedian a long time ago, forget the name, and he had this to say:

- You show up at a party and nobody is there....they all left
- You feel excluded because you're left out
- You're late for dinner and there's nothing left

We're the only ones in our right minds :D

I watched this comedian a long time ago, forget the name, and he had this to say:

- You show up at a party and nobody is there....they all left
- You feel excluded because you're left out
- You're late for dinner and there's nothing left

Ha ha!

This thing weighs as much of a tank, has quick change barrel system that you need to thread in? This is innovative? Wow the gun industry is even more lame that I already thought of it.

The weight is nothing new, AIs have always been a little heavy. They are built a certain way to serve a specific purpose.

I'm another one of the weirdos that prefer the thumb hole stock versus the pistol grip. I noticed there's a conversion kit, how much is that going to run?

Probably not the right place for this question, and if so I apologize. My question is how headspace is maintained, not only on the AT but on any of the AI "quick change" barrels. I'm used to my DTA where the headspace is basically set by having the bolt lock into the barrel extension, you could lock a headspace gage in it outside of the chassis. I know that a Remmy 700 is a production rifle, held to a RANGE of specs...I assume that this fluctuation is responsible for the fact that I can't just screw on a pre-chambered Remmy barrel and go shooting. Is the "magic" of the AI system just that its held to tighter tolerances? I'm just wondering about an action like a Surgeon...way tighter tolerances than a stock Remington 700, with a capable machinist like Tooley, why couldn't those actions not considered to be interchangeable? What am I missing about the AI? Is it just the adherence to specs or is there some internal locking mechanism that I don't know about? I've never handled a REAL AI, had a few clones in their chassis, so I'm strongly considering this new AT...just want to know more about how the headspace is maintained...and whether it needs checked after barrel swaps. Thanks.

Probably not the right place for this question, and if so I apologize. My question is how headspace is maintained, not only on the AT but on any of the AI "quick change" barrels. I'm used to my DTA where the headspace is basically set by having the bolt lock into the barrel extension, you could lock a headspace gage in it outside of the chassis. I know that a Remmy 700 is a production rifle, held to a RANGE of specs...I assume that this fluctuation is responsible for the fact that I can't just screw on a pre-chambered Remmy barrel and go shooting. Is the "magic" of the AI system just that its held to tighter tolerances? I'm just wondering about an action like a Surgeon...way tighter tolerances than a stock Remington 700, with a capable machinist like Tooley, why couldn't those actions not considered to be interchangeable? What am I missing about the AI? Is it just the adherence to specs or is there some internal locking mechanism that I don't know about? I've never handled a REAL AI, had a few clones in their chassis, so I'm strongly considering this new AT...just want to know more about how the headspace is maintained...and whether it needs checked after barrel swaps. Thanks.[/QUOT

The barrel screws on until the two shoulders(action and barrel) come together. That's it. Nothing has changed. Headspace will stay the same.

Yes there is some magic involved. It's called paying attention to details.

Last edited:
Understood. Thank you! Bartlein likely is in the same boat. One well respected dealer told me the contour on the NA barrels is different than the UK barrels. Another told me 24" and under, NA and UK are the same but over 24", the NA barrels are similar to a Palma barrel......fwiw....

Ive asked the same thing and never got any specifics, but per Mr Frank from Bartlein, mostly theyre a kind of modified Palma contour, 1.4" at the breech end. Not sure of diameter at muzzle.

Yes a 24" and under is an AI step contour, comes out an inch and necks down within an inch to almost a straight contour. The 24" and over is a modified medium palma. The two contours have the same weight at the same length (I had two 24's, one of each contour). The medium palma was about .050" smaller OD at the muzzle than the AI 24" and less contour. The medium palma had slightly more taper across its length also. I sold the 24+" contour and now only have the nearly straight contour 24" and less barrels.

At lengths over 24" the modified palma would definitely be lighter due to its rate of taper.

Hi,
I just read this thread and wanted to clarify something.

Earlier a statement was made "As with any new products there is information and disinformation that seems to get out. As of right now, we are being told that the AT's will come with both UK and Bartlein bbls. For those customers that ordered a Bartlein, we will insure that they get a Bartlein.. one way or another!"

ALL AT308's will be shipped from the UK with UK barrels made by Lowther Walther and rifles being final tested in the UK. If anyone wants a Bartlein or a different caliber barrel they will have to order it as an aftermarket accessory. We will not be shipping any AT's with Barlein barrels. All USA AX rifles will come with Bartlein barrels and final testing will be done in Fredericksburg, VA. If someone wants a UK barrel then they can order it as an accessory.
One of our objectives with the new products is to standardize on factory rifles in order to increase supply and reduce lead time. By having a Quickloc barrel system it is easy to have the barrel you want when you want it.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Hi,

Earlier a statement was made "As with any new products there is information and disinformation that seems to get out. As of right now, we are being told that the AT's will come with both UK and Bartlein bbls. For those customers that ordered a Bartlein, we will insure that they get a Bartlein.. one way or another!"

ALL AT308's will be shipped from the UK with UK barrels made by Lowther Walther and rifles being final tested in the UK. If anyone wants a Bartlein or a different caliber barrel they will have to order it as an aftermarket accessory. We will not be shipping any AT's with Barlein barrels. All USA AX rifles will come with Bartlein barrels and final testing will be done in Fredericksburg, VA. If someone wants a UK barrel then they can order it as an accessory.
One of our objectives with the new products is to standardize on factory rifles in order to increase supply and reduce lead time. By having a Quickloc barrel system it is easy to have the barrel you want when you want it.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

That was how I understood it too be...

Thanks for clarifying this Tom !

Hi,

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

We received this information yesterday from AI as well. We have notified all of our customers who have preordered an AT, and as Tom stated above, all AT's will be coming with the UK barrels. We will have Bartlein's available in addition to the factory UK barrels.
Thanks Tom.

-Dave-

Whatever barrel AI chooses to use is good enough for me, even if it was some new thing I've never heard of, I have enough faith in AI that I'd be ok with it

Lothar Walther makes some amazing barrels!!! I had a couple on my AR-10's and they were unbelievable!

I was hoping they would be using Border bbls like the AW's which are cut rifled vs LW which are button rifled.

Can't believe it'll still be two or three months before these arrive, oh well, it's fucking cold in Colorado anyhow right now

Can't believe it'll still be two or three months before these arrive, oh well, it's fucking cold in Colorado anyhow right now

Where did you hear that? Last I was told the new rifles are expected late Feb. to early March.

Who all is going to be spinning aftermarket barrels for the AT/AX's then? Mile High, any one else? Trying to decide if an AT would be in on time to get a 6.5 CM barrel done and ready to shoot for the SH Cup (with time for load development.) In other words who could I call now to have a 6.5 CM barrel done for an AT by maybe early April?

Last edited:
Who all is going to be spinning aftermarket barrels for the AT/AX's then? Mile High, any one else? Trying to decide if an AT would be in on time to get a 6.5 CM barrel done and ready to shoot for the SH Cup (with time for load development.) In other words who could I call now to have a 6.5 CM barrel done for an AT by maybe early April?
Call Melissa at Mile High, you may have to wait longer though, they were estimating May for my AT Bartlein/Tooley 6.5 CM.

Last I heard from Milehigh it was looking like May also on the AX 308MC's. Hopefully sooner!
I have an AX308 MC preordered,I hope I see it before May. If not then I guess I'll keep burning the barrels on my AW and AX.

Yeah, I was told that they would begin shipping Feb/March from AI and would arrive end of April or May. This was also from Mile High when I ordered my AXMC. Sounded to me like they were trying to be conservative, so hopefully a little sooner?

I have an AX308 MC preordered,I hope I see it before May. If not then I guess I'll keep burning the barrels on my AW and AX.

Nice. I'm also on the pre-order list for a pale brown AX308MC 20". Have my fingers crossed for April. lol

I'm kind of bummed there asking over $4600 for the AT, I thought I heard people say it was going to be sub 4K?

I can build a barreled action, with the action, barrel maker/contour, color and trigger of my choice, and drop it in there cooler AIAX chassis and be right around 4K or under, so why buy their gun?

Mile high lists the 308 AT non folding for just over $3800 and another $400 and change for the folder. Where is $4600 coming from?

I'm kind of bummed there asking over $4600 for the AT, I thought I heard people say it was going to be sub 4K?

I can build a barreled action, with the action, barrel maker/contour, color and trigger of my choice, and drop it in there cooler AIAX chassis and be right around 4K or under, so why buy their gun?

I understand that, Im sure they can justify their prices. I just think I could build the same gun through a smith and have more of my own choices for less money.. may even be more accurate.

Clearly you have no idea what you are getting...

No custom gun will have the quick lock where you can change the barrel by hand.

As far as accuracy, how many AIs have you shot lately ?