• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official Accuracy International AT First Look

Ok I just got off the phone again with Mile High and the guy said that the factory AI barrels are (or are similar to) a Palma Heavy countour and their Bartlein Barrels are equivalent to a Normal Palma contour and roughly 1 pound lighter than the AI factory barrel.

That's odd because my AI Bartlein barrels are significantly heavier than my UK barrels. At least a pound heavier for the Bartlein 260 over the UK 308 barrels in 26" length and the profile difference is noticeable. I prefer the lighter UK barrel profile due to better balance as well. I don't know why the barrel profiles are speced differently.

RedneckBMXer is bringing me up to speed. The barrels machined for mile high may not be the same as the Bartlein Barrels you can buy from AINA

Tom,
I'd be interested in either an AX or AXMC.
Thanks,
Brian

I may be wrong but isn't the 308 AX technically an AXMC as well as they both have quick change capability...? If so wouldn't it be best to specify AXMC 308 or AXMC 338/300 instead of AX vs AXMC?

Sorry I'm not trying to call you out I've just seen a lot of miss information out there that the base 308 is just an AX and is not quick change even though Frank clearly posted about two different versions of the AXMC in long and short action.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but isn't the 308 AX technically an AXMC as well as they both have quick change capability...? If so wouldn't it be best to specify AXMC 308 or AXMC 338/300 instead of AX vs AXMC?

Sorry I'm not trying to call you out I've just seen a lot of miss information out there that the base 308 is just an AX and is not quick change even though Frank clearly posted about two different versions of the AXMC in long and short action.

While PM'ing Tom about the rifles he corrected me on this, his quote.

"FYI the AXMC is a multi-caliber rifle convertible from .338 to .300 and .308. The AX308 is only .308 and not referred to as an AX308MC."

While PM'ing Tom about the rifles he corrected me on this, his quote.

"FYI the AXMC is a multi-caliber rifle convertible from .338 to .300 and .308. The AX308 is only .308 and not referred to as an AX308MC."

I guess I was wrong. There seems to be a lot of information floating around that is not correct about all these rifles. Thanks for clearing that bit of misinformation up!

I wish that right now I could pre-order one as a 260 folder rather than having to order the AT as a 308 and then purchase a new barrel or have a smith spin me one up.

Since i'm from Europe, AI's are deliverd with UK barrels. How does the LW or Border barrels compare with the US Bartlein?
Would it be worth the additional cost for the Bartlein? And can you order the rifle with a longer barrel than 27"?

I would like to clarify that the base price of an AT is $3,550 excluding tax. That is FET and not applicable to law enforcement
The base model is fixed stock with 24 inch plain barrel. The options at time of order are fixed v folding, 20,24 or 26 inch barrel with or without a muzzle break, and stock side color, black, olive or pale brown. It also includes a Harris and AI bipod mount.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy international

You are correct that the FET is not applicable to LAW ENFORCEMENT DEPARTMENTS, AGENCIES, however INDIVIDUAL OFFICERS MUST PAY the FET when they purchase one.

Waiting for some guitars to sell so can order my AT!! The wait is killing me! Have these started to ship yet to those who ordered back in January?

Optional bolt

Will a secondary bolt be offered to accommodate for diff. Short action bolt face diameters. (Saum, etc.)?

Twist rate?

If I understand it correctly the AT comes with a LW barrel and is not available with an optional Bartlein unless you buy the Bartlein as a second barrel? Please correct me if wrong. Also, what is the Twist on the 20 inch barrel?

Thanks

If I understand it correctly the AT comes with a LW barrel and is not available with an optional Bartlein unless you buy the Bartlein as a second barrel? Please correct me if wrong. Also, what is the Twist on the 20 inch barrel?

Thanks

When I ordered mine I was told it only comes with the UK 308 barrel for now. Both the 20" and 24" are 1:12 twist. If the pricing is the same as it has been for the other rifles the "upgrade" price for the bartlien in whatever caliber is basically the cost of a bartlein separately so you're money ahead to buy the rifle with the UK barrel and order the bartlein separate.

why the 1 in 12 twist? when 1 in 10 clearly makes more sense with todays ammo availability and subsonic loads....getting rid of surplus barrels sitting in inventory??

why the 1 in 12 twist? when 1 in 10 clearly makes more sense with todays ammo availability and subsonic loads....getting rid of surplus barrels sitting in inventory??

Makes sense to who? The US market? Thats why Bartlein barrels with 1 in 10 rate of twist are available to US customers. Although available to civilian shooters who take them to the range or to compete with, AI rifles are first and foremost duty wpns and for that purpose 1 in 12 more than suffices in a .308 platform. I don't think it has anything to do with getting rid of surplus barrels in their inventory. You should consider yourself lucky that you have the option here in the US. Canadians north of the border for example are shit out of luck and only have access to the UK barrels, not the variety offered in the US even though there is a market for it and guys are crying for the opportunity to have the options for other calibers. Maybe AINA could expand these barrels to Canada, after all Canada is in North America the last time I checked.

Makes sense to who? The US market? Thats why Bartlein barrels with 1 in 10 rate of twist are available to US customers. Although available to civilian shooters who take them to the range or to compete with, AI rifles are first and foremost duty wpns and for that purpose 1 in 12 more than suffices in a .308 platform. I don't think it has anything to do with getting rid of surplus barrels in their inventory. You should consider yourself lucky that you have the option here in the US. Canadians north of the border for example are shit out of luck and only have access to the UK barrels, not the variety offered in the US even though there is a market for it and guys are crying for the opportunity to have the options for other calibers. Maybe AINA could expand these barrels to Canada, after all Canada is in North America the last time I checked.

You're right, i'm sure all the custom shops agree with your insight, a 1 in 12 for this type of platform is the cat's ass! thanks for the schooling, another Capt Obvious moment for S4D!!

I don't get your point. So in US AND Canada there is an obvious preference for 1/10 or 1/11.25 vs 1/12 and you concede that and then go after the guy advocating they ship that way?

For a $4k rifle or more it would be nice to get the barrel you want. Pretty simple really. Lot's of people would prefer to buy in non-vanilla 308 too and not have to drop $800 on an extra barrel just to start shooting in the caliber they want. Not complaining, the AT is a homerun, but AI shouldn't be afraid of customer feedback and preference and neither should you bro.

Unless you're shooting subsonics a 1:10 twist on a 308 is as useless as a dick nuckle. 1:12 will stabilize everything up to 210gr at supersonic speed which is way heavy for the capabilities of a 308. The 308 shines with 155-190gr bullets which 1:12 twist is absolutely perfect for.

If you want to run subsonic then the 1:10 has an advantage, but that's it's only advantage. Even then a 1:8 would be better.

I don't get your point. So in US AND Canada there is an obvious preference for 1/10 or 1/11.25 vs 1/12 and you concede that and then go after the guy advocating they ship that way?

For a $4k rifle or more it would be nice to get the barrel you want. Pretty simple really. Lot's of people would prefer to buy in non-vanilla 308 too and not have to drop $800 on an extra barrel just to start shooting in the caliber they want. Not complaining, the AT is a homerun, but AI shouldn't be afraid of customer feedback and preference and neither should you bro.

What I meant was that in Canada they do not have the option of getting barrels from AINA chambered in calibers such as .260, 6.5 CM, .243. I was not referring to the twist rates in .308.

I know the standard version of the AT will be the tactical pistol grip and the folder is an upgrade. Thumb hole rear stock can be purchased separately.

Can someone please confirm the standard version is the tactical pistol grip without thumb hole rear stock?

I don't want folder or thumb hole.

I was at AINA Thursday and the AT and new AX rifles they have were from SHOT. The new rifles had not landed yet. To all those AT and AXMC buyers, I can say 100% they are worth the wait!

I know the standard version of the AT will be the tactical pistol grip and the folder is an upgrade. Thumb hole rear stock can be purchased separately.

Can someone please confirm the standard version is the tactical pistol grip without thumb hole rear stock?

I don't want folder or thumb hole.

It is my understanding that they come standard with the pistol grip, and you buy the parts to turn the stock into a thumb hole if that is what you want.

But just to be sure why not call Dave at Mile High, I have talked to him several times, and found him to be very knowledgeable concerning the new AT, and AX rifles.

aika, based on all info available from SHOT and other various sources, they pistol grip is the current standard production version with the thumbhole sides being offered as an add on available from AI. You could definitely call an AI dealer to confirm, but if you look at all of the press releases and their brochure everything has been featured with the pistol grip.

I pm'd Mr. Irwin on question I had above regarding a bolt option for AI-AT. Response was 300wm later this year.

I talked about this in January. They will be making a LONG action AT. Mile High said this was not true, but it is.

If the AT becomes available in a large action that I can stuff a 338 into then I will be buying a second AT to go with the one I have on order. That'd be awesome.

Sounds better and better every day. I may have to buy one short action and one long action. I was never excited about the AX rifles. I played with the AX chassis and hated it so I am glad AI is producing this rifle. Anyone know if the adjustable thumb wheel on the butt pad of the legacy chassis will be available on the AT?

I talked about this in January. They will be making a LONG action AT. Mile High said this was not true, but it is.

Can anyone legitimately confirm this? It sounds too good to be true, and im thinking its just everybodies wishful thinking. Everything we'd been told up to this point has been 'no'. No new bolts, no new actions. Why would they kill the sales of the MC's by producing a long action AT? New bolt-maybe, long action-doubtful.

Edit: just received an email from the UK. Its being talked about and there are possibly plans, but we're looking at late 2015 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Hmmm 2015...long action AT? That would be perfect. May knock me out if doing a long action Remington style rifle in a magnum caliber. Does anybody have a link or post from an insider or somebody in the know they would be willing to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legit confirm?? the AI representative that visits the site sent info in pm, if you doubt it, ask him directly.

Re: AI-AT Bolt option

Quote Originally Posted by Defuzer

Sir,

I would like to know if AI will be offering a different bolt set up with the AT for use with other Short Action calibers that have a different bolt face diameter from the .308 line (.473)?

Thanks for your time and any response is appreciated.

xxxxxx

xxxx,
We will be offering a .300 WinMag later in the year.
Tom

x'd out my name..

The email i received when i asked about a long action.

Hi XXXXX

Yes there has been some speak of it but there is nothing set in stone. There are plans to make an AT long action rile but that's all there is at the moment and if it is made It will not be available until 2015/2016

Kind regards

Jake XXXX
Sales Administrator
Sporting Services

Personally I'll just be extremely happy to get my AT that I ordered, and the extra Bartlein barrel.

Update I now have the extra Bartiein .260 Remington Barrel. Only need the rifle now.

Last edited: