• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Opinions on dog not feeling well

BruteNasty

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Just wanted to get some opinions. My dog (boxer/pit) has been sneezing a lot the last few days. It seems to be only we she has been sitting still or Laying, then starts moving. After she's moving around for a few minutes she stops. Her nose is runny also. Vets booked until next week and I leave town Thursday. Any ideas? Think I should find someone to see her before I leave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like humans, dogs can have allergies. Laying down the dog is not stirring up dust/pollen. Moving stirs up these things. This is a bad time of year as everything is starting to bloom (depending on where you are).

I am the same way. Fine at night, but getting up in the morning starts me sneezing for about 30 minutes and runny nose, same with going outside. After that, my system "resets" and I am good to go.

You can always tell your wife to keep a cleaner house for the sake of the dog......good luck with that! Please post photos of the bruises she will leave upside your head.

I've dealt with some canine food allergies and there are things you can try but more info needed.

Age?
Type of food you use? Commodity food, high grade, etc. look at ingredient list and see if corn shows up early in the list?
If you think it can be food, try a mix of rice and boiled burger for a few days and see if there is a change. Remember when going back onto regular food, phase it in over a few days.

Pollen, dust are all possibilities.

HTH

My girlfriend was a vet tech for a few years and said "Benadryl 1mg per lb if not better could need antibiotics, if it's not allergies it could be an upper respiratory infection.

Her boxer had the same symptoms a while back and had to be put on doxycycline for upper respiratory infection. Try the Benadryl first. She gives it to her little dog for skin irritation and allergies every now and then.

She's 5 1/2 weighs 68lbs. She's on science diet advanced fitness, which she's been on for 3 years. I've never noticed any kind of allergies previously. Thanks for any help.

Redirt ill try that out thanks

I'm not one to go see the doctor for a cough or a fever - until it's obvious I'm not getting better after I've given my body a solid chance to handle things itself.

It has been my experience this is NOT an acceptable approach for dogs. I don't know if it's because dogs have a higher tolerance for pain, or because canine immune systems are stronger than humans - so when something is wrong, it's REALLY wrong, or what...

But when my dogs show symptoms of being sick, I've learned they need to go the vet. Now.

But when my dogs show symptoms of being sick, I've learned they need to go the vet. Now.

Yep.^^^^^. The sooner the better

If the nasal discharge is clear it is likely some allergy or she may have sucked something up her nose. In our area Foxtails send a ton of dogs to the vet for removal of those hateful things.
If the nasal discharge is not clear then its likely an infection.

If its an infection we use SMZ's on the horses and dogs. Effective, easy on their stomachs and not expensive.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking her today. Doc said he thinks its sinuses but she has a little it of a fever also, so he sent me home with sinus medicine for her as well as an antibiotic. Thanks again!

Kennel cough and other diseases are also a possibility. I know you said your dog is sneezing, but symptoms can vary for different dogs and diseases. I wouldn't hesitate to take my dog to the vet. In fact, I took one in about 2 weeks ago when he was picky about eating for 1.5 days. It turned out to be nothing more than an upset stomach, but if it would have been an intestinal blockage, it could have killed him if I had waited any longer.

Dogs are predisposed to not show weakness (it's a pack animal thing). Dogs will "hide" horrible sickness and injuries as long as they possibly can. If your dog is showing outward signs of not feeling well get it checked out immediately. By the time you notice it's a big deal.