• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

PCS to Camp Pendleton, advise on housing etc.

Backwoods44

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
Any Clime and Place
Hey all,
Aside from the fact that I have never really been to pendleton longer then two months (Las Pulgas) I could really use any and all info regarding the place...I am going to be with 1st Intel ( dunno if its mainside or northside) and was looking into homes in the Temecula / Fallbrook area, leaning towards temecula for the rise in population business and just overall "feel" ( if you can call it that since its photos from google) anyways I know theres some good info floating around about any and all subjects. I heard the commute is about 30-40 min just to hit the gate from there and trying to justify getting housing off-base instead of giving them my BAH monthly to live in gov housing...as nice as it looks I cant justify paying rent right back to the government when it could pay a mortgage...housing is my main concern ATM and any info as far as dealing with a VA home loan would also be a huge help...

Thanks,
BW

Re: PCS to Camp Pendleton, advise on housing etc.

Don't purchase a home now. Especially in California right now. Unfortunately, the housing market has not hit bottom, yet. There are a ton of foreclosures that will be entering the market for the next few years driving home prices down farther, especially in California. If owning a home is important to you and you decide to purchase now you will probably need to live in it for a least ten years before the market starts an up swing. BTW I own a home in CA and nobody is will to pay fair market value right now because they believe the market has more room to go down. Good luck and there are some nice places in San Clemente, CA ( north of Camp Pendleton) and OC isn't that bad either for being a military town.

Jamie

Well, I was never stationed at Pendleton but, I was stationed in Hemet on recruiting and had to make that drive south a lot around the same time period in the morning you will.

Temecula is going to mean a lot of time driving at the worst possible times. The 5 and 15 is absolute crap at those times.

Look for something closer.

Besides, If you live in Temecula you are still 45 minutes to the beach on a good day of little to no traffic.

I came to the conclusion long ago that living in California is best done near the beach. Anything else- you are getting all the crap and none of the bennies of being here.

Living farther south would also put you into shooting areas with a shorter drive. Temecula/Hemet area is too built up and privatized.

No point in buying a home that I can see.

Those discussions are best had with a financial adviser.

Jaimes advice is spot on. San Clemente is a great place with easy access to lots of good things in SoCal. In Fallbrook you'll always be hearing the guns and artillery and whatever else it was that went boom in the night.

If you really want to buy (advise against it) then this is a good site

www.ziprealty.com

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the input/suggestions and I might have to check out the areas, I have been down to Clemente to throw back a couple beers (I think it was called "One more, thats it !" ) hell of a nice little spot..anyways let me be a little more clear.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a long term source of income so its not that I want to turn around at the end of my 3/4 year tour and sell the place, but end up having it managed whenever I PCS to another duty station. I agree its more of a financial thing to be dealt with by someone who gets paid to do it but I see this as an opportunity while the market is in a downturn to make those gains in 10-15 years once I retire and am ready to settle down. I think the basic idea is good just need to get the fine tuning done, along with location and market trends etc...

If you want to know the ins and outs of renting an owned house out while you are PCS'ed somewhere else, send McCrazy a PM. He did/does that and it cost him a bunch of time and money when he had bad renters.

Why are you wanting to trust the people of California?

12.4% unemployment rate, etc...

Seems like a bad idea.

If you can get into Carlsbad that would be my first choice, same price as San Clemente or cheaper. Oceanside is closest town to w gate but not as nice. I was born and raised in SoCal, spent most of my life in North San Diego county, and worked as a cop in SoCal, so I speak with 4 decades of experience. I commuted that 45min drive on a m/c for 2 years from inland empire to the coast, it will wear you out. Inland is also 10 deg hotter than the coast. Try your best to stay near the coast if living off base.... If the prices are too high on coast, then Fallbrook or East Oceanside near the back gate would do in a pinch, there are actually some nice areas out there, zoned for horses etc. Good luck! Mark

My friend was stationed at Pendleton and now works there as a civie. He lives in Fallbrook. Its a nice place. It is true just about every time I stop by to visit you hear booms out in the distance but its not too bad. Fallbrook isn't too far from a great range,Pala.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to know the ins and outs of renting an owned house out while you are PCS'ed somewhere else, send McCrazy a PM. He did/does that and it cost him a bunch of time and money when he had bad renters.

Why are you wanting to trust the people of California?

12.4% unemployment rate, etc...

Seems like a bad idea.

</div></div>

Not to mention the state income tax.