• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thunder Valley Precision 2014 Schedule

Breeze260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
We shoot as a team if you don't have a partner we will pair you up with someone. Typically we shoot prone but if you have a bench and can set it up in a timely manner you can use it, shooting sticks(tripods) are welcome also. Some matches will be different but will be post as such.

Head Hunter (One shot One kill, no team)
Pos 1) 342,370,403,526,566
Pos 2) 360,349,329,512,521
Pos 3) 330,373,418,435,440
Pos 4) 423,514,557,600,560

Intimidator
Pos 1) 563,950,1165,938, Bonus 1650
Pos 2) 552,892,674,795
Pos 3) 276,366,587,1048
Pos 4) 570,499,704,586

Short Course
Pos 1) 228,391,561,346
Pos 2) 283,415,366,552
Pos 3) 160,268,499,484

Start-10:00(Unless posted differently) if you need to zero be early 8:00 (Not on Open Range Days) Range is cold from 9-10 for registration and safety meeting
Members Match Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $20.00
Non Members Fees (regular) and Range Practice Days $30.00
Membership info at the bottom

March

15th - Closed
16th - Modified (200-1167yds 50rds max)
22nd - Open Range
23rd - Open Range
29th - HeadHunter
30th - Intimidator

April

5th - Intimidator
6th - Open Range
12th - Open Range
13th - HeadHunter
19th - Short Course
20th - Closed
26th - Open Range
27th - Open Range

May

3rd - Open Range
4th - HeadHunter
10th - Open Range
11th - Closed
17th - HeadHunter Day & night (night suppressed only)
18th - Intimidator
24th - Open Range
25th - Open Range
31st - Multi-Course Match - $50 per person $100 a team We will be shooting the Short Course, Head Hunter and Intimidator.... Pre Register at [email protected]
June

1st - HeadHunter
7th - Ohio 1000
8th - Intimidator
14th - Newbie Shoot------Details post below 6/3
15th - Short Course
21st - Open Range
22nd - Open Range
28th - Intimidator
29th - Open Range

July

5th - HeadHunter
6th - Intimidator
12th - Intimidator
13th - HeadHunter
19th - HeadHunter
20th - Short Course
26th - Open Range
27th - Open Range

August

2nd - Ohio 1000
3rd - Short Course
9th - HeadHunter
10th - Intimidator
16th - HeadHunter
17th - HeadHunter
23rd - Open Range
24th - Open Range
30th - Intimidator
31st - HeadHunter

September

6th open range
7th HH
13th closed
14th Short course
20th open range
21st open range
27th open range till 3pm
28th open range till 3pm

As always dates are subject to change so check back

New TVP Memberships Available
As many of you know, a few years ago the building that housed the benches and shooting area at Thunder Valley Precision was destroyed by a summer tornado.
There are plans to build a new and improved shooting complex at Thunder Valley Precision in 2014.
Please consider becoming member and supporter so we can grow and improve TVP. Your membership will help us rebuild and create a world class shooting facility for all to enjoy.

$2500 Lifetime Unlimited Supporter
$1500 Lifetime Supporter
$100 Annual Member and Supporter
Corporate memberships are also available.
For more information please visit Thunder Valley Precision » Specialized long range shooting facility or to become a member please contact Tom Sarver by phone at 740.502.6530 or email at [email protected]

Last edited:
That's what I get for copy n paste from an old thread.....

Last edited:
I deleted my thread for the schedule so nobody gets confused. We will use this one for the rest of the year.

Good to see a definitive schedule. Hopefully I am home enough to take advantage of it.

On another note has Tom been away? I called him twice and left 2 messages, But he has yet to return my calls. Maybe best to email him?

It's a combination of position from the other courses, round count and max yardage is posted.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

What exactly is the "modified course" for the 16th?

In the spring when the course is soggy we make up a "modified course" utilizing parts of the short course and parts of the intimidator at the front of the property. This way things don't get turfed up too bad.

I will do some asking and see if I can put together the positions and ranges for everyone, so we all have our ranges and dope ready before we get there.

Short course 3 & 1
HH 1
Intimidator 1
In that order....

I'm in for Sunday, I haven't shot the modified course yet, should be fun.

Breeze
Will we need a partner for Sunday? Mine may not be able to make it?
Thanks
Sean

You will need a partner for everything but the head hunter. There will be someone else who will need a partner that we will pair you up with. Or if there is an odd number of shooters we can put three on the line at a time.

Not a problem at all. See you there Sunday.

Here's the ranges you will be shooting Sunday so you can get your dope written down ahead of time.
Short course #3, 160-268-499-484
Short course #1, 228-391-561-346
Head Hunter #1, 342-370-403-526-566
Intimidator#1, 563-950-1165-938-1650

Be prepared to possibly have to hike the hill up to the intimidator if the hill is too slick to drive up there. There will be two stops up the hill at the short course and the head hunter so it won't be too bad.

Last edited:
Are you ready for the first match of 2014 at Thunder Valley Precision on Sunday?

The weather is going to be decent and we are going to shoot a modified course of fire which will be a hybrid of all three matches at TVP.

Who is going to come out and join us for a great day of shooting on Sunday?

Ok folks. Never shot past 300 yards. I would love to join you guys. Would I be better off showing up to learn and observe or come ready to shoot. My current setup is in my signature. Definitely looking to upgrade optics. Im Available the 22 & 23 as well as for the head hunter on the 29. Thanks for any input.

Come ready to shoot, we are very friendly here and someone will always lend a hand.

If you have data book, rear bag, bino's, food water, shooting mat, all is a good start but not necessary. Come out we'll help you out...

Ok folks. Never shot past 300 yards. I would love to join you guys. Would I be better off showing up to learn and observe or come ready to shoot. My current setup is in my signature. Definitely looking to upgrade optics. Im Available the 22 & 23 as well as for the head hunter on the 29. Thanks for any input.
Seeing as both days are open range get there early an introduce yourself to people as they arrive explain your new to this and I will assure you there will be someone to get you squared away if it's the 23 rd I'm bringing at least one new shooter maybe 2 and would be happy to help you as much as I can.
And as breeze says come to shoot bring ammo, shooting mat, ammo, rear bag, ammo, something for lunch, ammo, something to drink, ammo,oh and did I mention ammo.
Hope to see you there.

We had the first match of the year today at TVP. We lost a lot of good men out there today to the 20+ MPH ice cold winds, but a few brave souls stuck it out.

We could hardly believe it ourselves but our 243's spitting out 115 DTAC's at 3K needed 3.5 Mills of wind to connect with the 1165 yard target today!

If my shooter program is right that is about 11 feet to the left of the target then getting blown back to the target.

Congratulations to our high scorers Brian and Jeff.

Short course Position #3
photo-L.jpg

Short course Position #1
photo-L.jpg

Intimidator position #1
photo-L.jpg

The score sheet for the short course and Intimidator portions of the modified course. Please excuse the bad writing, It's hard to write when your shivering!
photo-L.jpg

The Head Hunter portion of the match.
photo-L.jpg

Last edited:
Those were some tough weather conditions, but it was still a lot of fun.

I've been watching some of the videos on YouTube. You guys are Great! Wonderful shooting. But more importantly the way you help each other. It's really encouraging for newbies like myself.

Glad you liked what you saw on YouTube, let me know when your coming out and I will try to make sure I'm there to help you out.

Last edited:
My real issue right now is ammo. I'd like something with better ballistics than Remington soft points.
But any factory ammo is hard to come by for the ole 243 nowadays.

My real issue right now is ammo. I'd like something with better ballistics than Remington soft points.
But any factory ammo is hard to come by for the ole 243 nowadays.

If your 243 is a factory 9-1/8 twist, try looking up some factory ammo that utilizes the 95 grain Berger bullet. I think HSM makes that combo. You could also contact some of the custom reloaders here on the hide to see if they can brew something up for you. I think Hornadys 105 AMAX works well in factory twists.

I'm assuming that you do not reload yet.

I've been watching some of the videos on YouTube. You guys are Great! Wonderful shooting. But more importantly the way you help each other. It's really encouraging for newbies like myself.

You will find that everyone is more than willing to help and share info. Everyone was a newbie once, it's a fun sport.

If your 243 is a factory 9-1/8 twist, try looking up some factory ammo that utilizes the 95 grain Berger bullet. I think HSM makes that combo. You could also contact some of the custom reloaders here on the hide to see if they can brew something up for you. I think Hornadys 105 AMAX works well in factory twists.

You're correct on both accounts. Factory 26 Inch varmint barrel. And not a reloader yet. I would love to get out and play this weekend for some practice because after watching the videos, I'm itching to try my hand at the head hunter on the 29th!

Glad you liked what you saw on YouTube, let me know when your coming out and I will make sure I'm there to help you out.

thats pretty nice of ya, the last time you help me out it got kind of scary:(!
don't worry LR sponge I'm a special case and breeze260 is a good helper,he won't steer you wrong!
and the sooner you come out the happier you will be.

You're correct on both accounts. Factory 26 Inch varmint barrel. And not a reloader yet. I would love to get out and play this weekend for some practice because after watching the videos, I'm itching to try my hand at the head hunter on the 29th!

My buddy has a factory 9-1/8" twist 243 Remington 700, the Hsm 95 vld's shot horribly. He had 4 and 5" groups at 100 yards, your luck may vary, but I wouldn't buy and factory loaded vld's, they are too sensitive on seating depth. The 95 vld's do work great for him with handloads though. I would recommend going to an open range first, you will gain a better understanding of how things work, and people will have plenty of time to help you and give you pointers. But, even if you go to a Head Hunter first, you will still learn a lot, and have a lot of fun.

thats pretty nice of ya, the last time you help me out it got kind of scary:(!
don't worry LR sponge I'm a special case and breeze260 is a good helper,he won't steer you wrong!
and the sooner you come out the happier you will be.

One thing is for sure sakobob..... You are a special case, see ya at the range.

How would I contact reloaders on here? Which section? Also, as Stukpedal mentioned, I've seen mixed results on the Hsm ammo. Although in looking, Hornady American Whitetail 100 Gr Interlocks BTSP have a BC similar to the Bergers. (.405 I believe)

Do a google search for: Dallas reloads, copper creek, I know there are more but they slip my mind right now. Someone else will chime in a give you a couple more.

Edited to add, Southwest ammo.

Last edited:
long range sponge just bring your setup out to the range and shoot, there is always people who will help. I shoot a .243 and will help you if I'm there. Usually there is someone that is shooting a .243 or that have in the past that have loads that worked well for them. I think there is a guy that comes out that is shooting a gun pretty similar to yours with the factory barrel that is shooting the 95gn Berger VLD's,

long range sponge what part of Ohio are you from ? You could start gathering up components to have some reloads done. Lapua and Winchester make good brass, Berger Bullets are very good the 95 gn. Vld's should shoot. Primers wise I have used Federal and CCI both work well, and with powder you have a few choices but H4350 and H4831SC work good.

I currently reside in Springfield. I'd definitely provide the components if I knew someone that reloaded. Just from what I've read 105 A-max over H4350 Or H1000 really works in these rifles.

Sooooo, a lil snag in the plans. Having a time justifying the trip to the wife. She says "You shoot around here all the time." And before you say it shooting is shooting to her, no matter the distance/caliber/target/etc. Was thinking it may help my case if I bring her dad & bro. just wondering what the shortest shots are out there because I'm not sure how thrilled they are about poking at 400+. I definitely want to come out this weekend to get a feel & sight in for the head hunter. It will be Sunday if I manage...

Sooooo, a lil snag in the plans. Having a time justifying the trip to the wife. She says "You shoot around here all the time." And before you say it shooting is shooting to her, no matter the distance/caliber/target/etc. Was thinking it may help my case if I bring her dad & bro. just wondering what the shortest shots are out there because I'm not sure how thrilled they are about poking at 400+. I definitely want to come out this weekend to get a feel & sight in for the head hunter. It will be Sunday if I manage...

What you really need to do is to bring her and get her hooked on the long range shooting. It worked for me, now I have to buy two of everything. But then you run the risk of her becoming better at this then you. Ask me how I know that. Lol.

If that's not an option, there are 12x12 steel targets every 100 yards starting at 200, so they should be able to plink at those.

I'm in Saturday for sure, Wayde. Rain gear ready.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Where can I find the ranges for this up coming head hunter match on the 29th?

We had a total of 21 shooters today that came from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Virginia and Indiana to shoot the Intimidator match today.

The day started off with frozen snow covered hills and ended with most of the snow being melted and lots of mud, take a look at Tom's truck in the first picture. Unfortunately we had to walk the last three stages because of the muddy slippery hills.

The high individual score went to Bill M. from Indiana with a 108.
Second place for individual score was a tie between Mike from Virginia and John from Michigan with a 106.
First place as a team went to Mike and Bryan with a 190
Second place team was Bill and Don with a 172
Third place team was John and Margaret with a 167

photo%204-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

photo%202-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

Last edited: