• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Stock? n00b content inside

gimmefuel

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
Duluth MN
Looking @ replacing the Houge overmold on my 700SPS Tactical(.308). I like the look and feel of it but not so impressed by the "flexy-ness" of it.
The gun is goint to be used @ the range most of the time and probaly during the cpl weeks of deer season.
I was looking @ the Choate stuff and for the price these 2 seem really nice for the money (yes, I do have a budget)

Choate Ultimate Sniper:
159220101.jpg

Specs

Choate Ultimate Varmit:
159225700.jpg

Specs

Thoughts?
Thanks
J

Re: Which Stock? n00b content inside

Do you have the Houge stock with just the pillars? I have one with the full length beding block and its stiff.

IMHO I dont like either stock because you cant get any verticle adjustment by moving the rear sandbag.

Eric

Those are some pretty heavy stocks to be lugging around during deer season and they are not the best fit ergononically.

IMO if I were you I'd stick with the Hogue until I could afford something better, at the minimum a B&C or H-S Precision with the aluminum bedding block. You can generally pick up a good-condition used one here for just a bit over $200. It will be worth it.

Ch0ates are to heavy I have a b&c medalist on mine about the same wieght as the hogue but with full bedding block.Midway has them new for about $250.00

I looked at the Choate SS and the grip was like holding a fistful of razorblades. unless you shoot with a glove, there is no way you could avoid drawing blood after a few rounds. Way too aggressive grip IMHO

I would look at the new choate tactical. Second choice would be the ultimate varmint. I had one for a savage 112 I used to have in 22-250 and it made it a tack driver.

Have you seen this Choate stock:

tacstockwithblock.jpg

I have a few in route to me as we speak.

The stock that Soul Assassin is displaying is the new choate tactical stocks I was talking about. Its like getting a Mcmillan clone with the HS-Precision bedding block technology.

Just go to Soul Assassin's website. It looks like it is currently selling for $245 before tax or shipping.

Has anyone had any experience with the choate stock soul assassin posted? I'm guessing its pretty new.

I'm am also in the market for a SPS tactical replacement stock.

The Choates arent any more rigid that what you're trying to replace. Get a used PSS. They may not look cool, but they work.

The Choate Stock is way more rigid than the Hogue stock. They are just as rigid as the PSS or LTR stock. I have all three here, and I cannot tell a difference in rigidity between the three.

The Hogue stock only has aluminum around the action. If you would look at the picture above you can see the Choate stock has aluminum all the way to the front end of it.

I now have the Remington 700 model Choate stocks in stock, but I only have a few left.

The model available are for either the Savage (detach mag and center feed model) and the Rem 700 BDL.