• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Another "which scope" question!

kmose73

kmose73
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Greeley, CO
I've got a 96 Mauser that has become such a money pit that I hate to sell it. I've got it shooting pretty good. So I want to take it hunting but be able to occasionally stretch out and find its LR potential. To my knowledge they don't make a slanted base for these. So my requirements are low end around 3x, lots of adjustment, FFP and as light as possible. $1000 or less. I'm thinking swfa 3-9, or PST 3-10x32.

Thanks in advance!!!

Another consideration would be the SS 3-15x42 - it comes in under your budget also. Reviews have been generally positive and a good value for the money.

There actually are 20 and 30 moa bases available for the Mauser 96.
Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Mauser 96 in Steel Black Matte - 20 MOA
These are known to be very high quality and I'm sure would work great for a lifetime. Most 30mm scopes you will be looking at under the $1000 price should have enough adjustment to take you out to the realistic range of the Mauser, but a 20 moa wouldn't hurt, depending on caliber and velocity /bc. What is it chambered in? I love the old Mausers, I've got a sweetheart of a 98 in '06 that I've been messing with lately.

It's a 6.5x 55 swede. New shilen bbl. I ran a load test and went all the way to max load for modern firearms w/ no sign of pressure so velocity isn't an issue. It'll be a fine hunting rifle, but I can't help but want to reach out a ways.

There actually are 20 and 30 moa bases available for the Mauser 96.
Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Mauser 96 in Steel Black Matte - 20 MOA
These are known to be very high quality and I'm sure would work great for a lifetime. Most 30mm scopes you will be looking at under the $1000 price should have enough adjustment to take you out to the realistic range of the Mauser, but a 20 moa wouldn't hurt, depending on caliber and velocity /bc. What is it chambered in? I love the old Mausers, I've got a sweetheart of a 98 in '06 that I've been messing with lately.

Thanks man! That looks perfect. That way I won't have to run dovetail rings either.