• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Target Cam

Ok--- Interested in the thread. If you DIY, fantastic, more power to you, but it seems we are comparing apples (target cam) to something else.. I often self-spot thru a 25x scope. To clarify, when shooting ELR, I pull the trigger wait for the TF and look for the signs of impact in a couple of seconds, 4-5 seconds later (caliber, AD and distance dependent), maybe if you have everything working in your favor your get an audible confirmation.

I absolutely get the need for FPV for the spotter, but If you are not recording, how can this be valuable to a solo shooter?
this is so you can see were you hit the target every shot something you can not do with a spotting scope

this is so you can see were you hit the target every shot something you can not do with a spotting scope

I have used targetcams.

For ELR and self-spotting having review/recording so you can review a miss that was non-detectable would seem to be invaluable even in the DIY setup.

Maybe once again my poor writing skills made my point less than clear... Sorry

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
My need in a target cam would be for not neccesarily to get on target but to fine tune my on target hits on paper at ranges were a spotting scope wont let you see the holes in paper and such

My need in a target cam would be for not neccesarily to get on target but to fine tune my on target hits on paper at ranges were a spotting scope wont let you see the holes in paper and such

I am sorry I keep forgetting about BR shooting -- I did get a system that has a DVR built into the monitor - the monitor, internal receiver/DVR and 800MV US made transmitter were 250ish..

Jt

any updates on this adventure?

Still waiting on the Replacement transmitter. hopefully it will be here soon. Been itching to get it tested and out on the Range. On a Side note. I replaced the Lens in the camera with a 16MM to get the Camera further away from the Target . The 3.6MM wasn't going to work out too well. and it would have been pretty close to the Target.

Thanks to Scratchthejeepguy for letting me know about the 16mm lens.

did you end up ordering a different transmitter or a replacement of the same? if it ends up being different can you let us know some specifics on it?

and again thanks to Jummy and scratchthejeepguy, you guys are FN awesome!!

did you end up ordering a different transmitter or a replacement of the same? if it ends up being different can you let us know some specifics on it?

and again thanks to Jummy and scratchthejeepguy, you guys are FN awesome!!

The Seller is sending me a replacement of the same. If that transmitter doesnt work out, I am thinking about getting one that is 1.2ghz with 2000mW output but thats only if the replacement doesnt work.

going to do a little add on to the post to help people understand what they are looking at when they are choosing what mm lens to get with their camera..

you will see below a camera with 2.8-12mm set to 2.8mm then 12mm.. then you will see a camera with a 8-46mm that is set to 46.. you should quickly get the idea for which one makes it easier to see the paper while keeping the camera at a safe distance..

I am currently waiting on my transmitter and receiver to put all of my items in a box together and I opted for a 2.4GHz 3Watt (3000milliWatt) model.. this should take the camera system WELL beyond a thousand yards.. but I will update when it arrives (scheduled for the 3rd of June delivery)

also that is a 7" lcd tv that was carried in store at radio shack.. costs more than shopping on ebay though..

Mine seems ok from about 15' diagonal: first pic 10' diag, 2nd 15' diag. 8mm lens, 1/2 way to full zoom. I wire the camera to the transmitter so the camera can stay behind a steel plate.

Crappy iPhone picks-

8ure7y3u.jpg

Here is the screen shot as it records
utyrybyg.jpg

&
rese6are.jpg

Holes are from my 7mag (long dumb story)

Here us how I protect the cam -

huvetady.jpg

transmitter is wired to a location another 25' away

Ps a 12v 5amp hr battery only powers the 800mw transmitter, camera and heigh gain antenna for 3.5hrs - for the 2000mw (2w) transmitter I have to go to a 12amp hr battery

Jt

Last edited:
i can't wait until you post a final product and description. Please include all the parts and the cost! Good job and very helpful thank you!!!!

Dr B

New Transmitter is in and everything is up and running. Will be testing the range of it tomorrow. I will keep yall updated.

Just got done doing some long range testing. The longest distance I was a 880yds. I dropped a friend off at one end of the street and reset my trip mileage in the car and drive to the other end of the street where it was about 5.5 tenths of a mile. Havent been have to take it to a 1k range yet but I don't see any issues getting 1k out of this system. I am wiring the camera and transmitter over so that it will be a fast setup when I get to the range. Ill post some pics up later

Last edited:
FINAL PRODUCT! Its not as pretty as a TargetCam But it works! :)

The phone camera distorts the quality of the Screen resolution. It's very Clear.

The camera is about 10 feet away.

Last edited:
I see that the parts list is edited, Is this the complete current parts list?

Yes thanks for the thread, if I ever start shooting past 300 yards, I might have to look into getting your RX/TX setup.

He doesnt like to be on camera. Haha

Testing at 2500m last night and I just dropped my monitor, 16db antenna power supply etc 20' to the rocks -- everything is trashed.

So starting over -- question have you tried with your antenna low to the ground? I am trying to keep mine 15" or so so the tripods fit in my case. To do so I used expensive directional antenna and 2000mw transmitters ...

If yours work lower - I am all in not to spend as much-- let us know how it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes thanks for the thread, if I ever start shooting past 300 yards, I might have to look into getting your RX/TX setup.

You're Welcome. I have a feeling you will be building one soon because its not if you ever start shooting past 300 its when you start shooting past 300. :)

Testing at 2500m last night and I just dropped my monitor, 16db antenna power supply etc 20' to the rocks -- everything is trashed.

So starting over -- question have you tried with your antenna low to the ground? I am trying to keep mine 15" or so so the tripods fit in my case. To do so I used expensive directional antenna and 2000mw transmitters ...

If yours work lower - I am all in not to spend as much-- let us know how it works

Sorry to hear that. Sucks that you have to start all over.

I am not sure if it will work low to the ground as I did not use the tripod during test and my friend was holding it about 4-5ft above ground and i had the receiver about 4 ft above ground also. I am trying to find some range time to see how it does and I can do a low to the ground testing for you. I was going to use this tripod initially JOBY GorillaPod SLR-Zoom - Portable, flexible tripod for telephoto lens cameras with their ballhead that goes with it. But I thought that it maybe too low to the ground. So I found a Cheap $15 Targus tripod to use. which at it lowest point is about 17in folded up and can be extended to 50inches.

Last edited:
Great job and thanks for sharing your progress. Was looking at a home brew version myself.

Mum-O-Killowe

Thanks! No problem at all. It was a Fun Project. I was thinking about getting another transmitter to have a second camera set up since it is possible.

Great job and thanks for sharing your progress. Was looking at a home brew version myself.

Mum-O-Killowe

Here's mine. I used an old Sony HD camcorder so picture quality is excellent. Used an old portable Sony DVD player, so again, HQ image. 200mW 5.8G transmitter and receiver with 5.8G 3 and 4 bladed cloverleaf antennas. Lithium ion 12v dc 1800mAh batteries. This first picture shows the unit in use at 200yds. The target is out by the 3rd telephone pole.

This picture shows the camera and transmitter

This picture shows the complete unit

Total cost was about $70 since the camera and dvd player were junk, and the cases I had laying around. And, you can record..."CLINK...wait for it...BOOM"

Last edited:
DIY Target Cam

This is now my second system after dropping most of it 15 - 20 feet to the rocks and destroying my receiver and monitor - my panel antenna still worked :)

I just tested it at 2500 yards and 4000 yards receiving end boxed under trees! Granted I don't need 4k yards, but I wanted to make sure 2500+ was solid.

The DVR is to allow me to self spot thru my scope, but review misses and shot placement.

Everything fits in one small case!

I chose NOT to use the case as part of the display. While this seems slick, it would suck for my needs if I was shooting prone solo and had to lift my head up to see the display or had the box block part of my view. For this reason the receiving panel (antenna) and monitor are on small tripods.

The setup:
-Sony camera with lens control, LEDs, zoom, contrast etc.

-25' of remote cable to hide the camera behind a plate and give the sending unit clear view without the risk of a hit - might important at 2500y with a bit of wind :)

-2000mw transmitter with a tiny directional antenna and a panel directional reviewing antenna-

-7" DVR with built in 5.8ghz receiver +monitor hood

- 4 tripods -one with extensions that can raise the sending transmitter 6' if needed.

- 2 lead acid batteries good for about 6 hours and charger.

buvuteza.jpg

9y8e6yje.jpg

ahujyjev.jpg

qany2yze.jpg
camera protected by plate sending unit 40' from target

ry5ety9u.jpg

Wasn't cheap but I have want I need :)

Last edited:
This is now my second system after dropping most of it 15 - 20 feet to the rocks and destroying my receiver and monitor - my panel antenna still worked :)

I just tested it at 2500 yards and 4000 yards receiving end boxed under trees! Granted I don't need 4k yards, but I wanted to make sure 2500+ was solid.

The DVR is to allow me to self spot thru my scope, but review misses and shot placement.

Everything fits in one small case!

I chose NOT to use the case as part of the display. While this seems slick, it would suck for my needs if I was shooting prone solo and had to lift my head up to see the display or had the box block part of my view. For this reason the receiving panel (antenna) and monitor are on small tripods.

The setup:
-Sony camera with lens control, LEDs, zoom, contrast etc.

-25' of remote cable to hide the camera behind a plate and give the sending unit clear view without the risk of a hit - might important at 2500y with a bit of wind :)

-2000mw transmitter with a tiny directional antenna and a panel directional reviewing antenna-

-7" DVR with built in 5.8ghz receiver +monitor hood

- 4 tripods -one with extensions that can raise the sending transmitter 6' if needed.

- 2 lead acid batteries good for about 6 hours and charger.

buvuteza.jpg

9y8e6yje.jpg

ahujyjev.jpg

qany2yze.jpg
camera protected by plate sending unit 40' from target

ry5ety9u.jpg

Wasn't cheap but I have want I need :)

Looks great! Glad to hear that you were able to salvage some things from your other build.

Can you share some info on the antenna set ups you got going? Where from price?.. I would really like to add some high gain antennas to mine as well..

The sending antenna is a very small directional 5.8ghz 12+ Db gain.. Circular Wireless HELIAXIAL58 Helical Axial Mode 5.8 GHz FPV Antenna about $84 on amazon shipped. I am using this to combat ground effects. I also wanted somthing small that didn't need to be staked down in the wind or blow of direction when down range. I could have also used this on the reviving end.

(With the tiny Circular Wireless SPW58 Skew Planar Wheel 5.8 GHz 2db gain omnidirectional radiation pattern, uniform at 360 degrees in the horizontal plane,
$44 -- I got solid 2000 yard performance) less are available much cheaper -

Fpv helicopters are getting 4-6km with these two but that's in clear sky with no ground causing multipath interference.

For the receiving end I went with a large directional 16db gain antenna $34 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21267__Antenna_for_5_8GHz_FPV_16dBi_Directional.html again I could have gone with another $84 tiny guy with 12 db but had the panel from my last setup.

Jt

Last edited:
Went out to test my rebuilt system, I was t0o lazy to hike past 1200 yards today. Opps bad idea!

BTW the sites flat to 1000, then between 1050 and 1300 yards there is a step hill. If hike further up the hill at 1300-1600 it flattens out a bit then it gets step again past 3000. The steepness isn't a problem with the energy up to a 7mm mag. I didn't want to use the lighter weight steel with the 338 for my target cam test and I didn't want to use my really heavy plate… Oopps -- so much more residual energy it blows my target stand over!

See the 30 second test — Well goes to show the DVR function is nice 1200 yard 10"x15" 3/8" AR500 target testing target cam DVR - YouTube

1200 yard 10"x15" 3/8" AR500 target testing target cam DVR - BTW the date on the DVR is wrong

Last edited:
DIY Target Cam

Btw here is a iphone pic of the screen at 2500 yards-- I did NOT shoot at 2500 only 1200
bazu3eny.jpg

Set up on the slope

e7anesav.jpg

a5avygaq.jpg

Sending unit

2avu4ejy.jpg

Target near the too of the area with little grass.

Last edited:
Reactions: sd0311msg
Just finally checked back in on your thread, I was thinking DIY as soon as I saw the target cam. Thanks for the write up, I might actually have the time to follow through on this project now. Looks great, I want one bad.

Sent using Tapatalk