• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report New to PRS, 6.5creed load data seeing if people have similar results

Sam19kilo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 4, 2019
    WY
    I recently got a criterion remage barrel, heavy varmint, 26”, 1:8tw, stainless. As I have been finding different loads, I noticed any 140gr bullet shoots lights out with 42.1gr of H4350. Berger VLDs, Nosler RDFs, ELDs, hornady bthp all can use this load and shoot half MOA. Velocities are slightly different but in the 2805-2835fps rangeAny one else have this happen? I haven’t tried chasing the lands yet. Also curious if other people don’t worry about getting the bullet into the lands.
    No fancy brass either, just hornady with low SDs
    Sam C wyoming

Attachments

• E24BB3BF-8058-4A45-9112-1FEE9D22CD68.jpeg
      E24BB3BF-8058-4A45-9112-1FEE9D22CD68.jpeg
      301.4 KB · Views: 106
    • 00B53DAD-AAA5-4380-9901-91CAEC8B43CB.jpeg
      00B53DAD-AAA5-4380-9901-91CAEC8B43CB.jpeg
      423.6 KB · Views: 104
    Looks like you have a great barrel. You should be super happy with it's tolerance. They aren't all like that

Reactions: Sam19kilo
    I keep getting told that, “man you got lucky with your barrel” lol I kinda want to chase lands but if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it as some say

My experience mirrors yours. In three different rifles 42.2 to 42.4 of H4350 with 140's has been steller.

Reactions: Alan101
    for a prs style match rifle you dont want your bullet into the lands at all...id leave it be

getting into the lands, and then 200-250 round matches with a dirty throat is a good way to pull a bullet if you time out on a stage and dump powder into your action and trigger

and yes typically, 41.5-42.5 w/ and 140 is a good sweet spot in a 6.5 creed, lots of happy barrels there

for a prs style match rifle you dont want your bullet into the lands at all...id leave it be

getting into the lands, and then 200-250 round matches with a dirty throat is a good way to pull a bullet if you time out on a stage and dump powder into your action and trigger

and yes typically, 41.5-42.5 w/ and 140 is a good sweet spot in a 6.5 creed, lots of happy barrels there
    That’s what’s I figured as my common sense felt that way, but the bad advice I’ve picked up from guys in a little deeper make me question lol.
    All you guys rule for checking out my post!

Reactions: morganlamprecht
    I did the match in Laramie last week and I had a personal best. Tomorrow is the Pawnee match in Colorado I’ll be there for any Colorado guys going. I signed up for monster lake mayhem at Gunwerks, trying to get as much practice as possible!

Reactions: FN-Whitney
    So I did really well at the match in Colorado, 3rd for competition time and 9th overall. My first match in April, I was 2nd to last lol, huge improvement! I also found out I wasn’t cleaning my barrel correctly and this is what came out. Also, after the cleaning, here is the 10 shot group of my Berger 140s. Built my confidence back up! I was worried I smoked my barrel

Attachments

• 0580907B-3BB7-47E8-8B95-5E0A0B0C9FAF.jpeg
      0580907B-3BB7-47E8-8B95-5E0A0B0C9FAF.jpeg
      749.4 KB · Views: 79
    • 0E46E7A7-5BEF-48AE-A4B9-0C9FBE59A85B.jpeg
      0E46E7A7-5BEF-48AE-A4B9-0C9FBE59A85B.jpeg
      813.6 KB · Views: 83
    Reactions: morganlamprecht
    So I did really well at the match in Colorado, 3rd for competition time and 9th overall. My first match in April, I was 2nd to last lol, huge improvement! I also found out I wasn’t cleaning my barrel correctly and this is what came out. Also, after the cleaning, here is the 10 shot group of my Berger 140s. Built my confidence back up! I was worried I smoked my barrel
    Good lord... My surplus SKS barrel doesn't even foul that bad after shooting cheap Chinese corrosive ammo ?. How were you cleaning previously compared to now?

Good lord... My surplus SKS barrel doesn't even foul that bad after shooting cheap Chinese corrosive ammo ?. How were you cleaning previously compared to now?
    I was not scrubbing the barrel with bronze/nylon brushes good enough. For some reason I figure 1-2 passes was good enough. Boy was I wrong. I have learned more this year than my whole Army career

Carbon fouling can be extensive in the CM. You will have to go after it with bronze brushes or JB Bore paste. My first CM was getting crazy high velocities. I scoped it and found severe fouling. My velocity dropped 50fps after a good cleaning with JB.

I run 140 Hybrids with 41.7grn of H4350 in my 26” barlien. I get right around 2800 or slightly under.

Interestingly enough, I switched barrels all things identical except the adding gain twist, my leftover loads were a solid sub half in the new Barrel.

Reactions: Sam19kilo
    Carbon fouling can be extensive in the CM. You will have to go after it with bronze brushes or JB Bore paste. My first CM was getting crazy high velocities. I scoped it and found severe fouling. My velocity dropped 50fps after a good cleaning with JB.

I run 140 Hybrids with 41.7grn of H4350 in my 26” barlien. I get right around 2800 or slightly under.

Interestingly enough, I switched barrels all things identical except the adding gain twist, my leftover loads were a solid sub half in the new Barrel.
    My velocity dropped from 2830 to 2780 after cleaning my barrel thoroughly. I’m not trying to chase the fastest anymore, 2800 ish is plenty good for me if I have good SDs and groups

Reactions: Changed
    I just got a criterion prefit for my tikka and it's a hammer also. Great work!
    Agreed! Wishing I would have gotten the biggest contour, MTU but still really happy with the remage prefit/heavy Varmint

Reactions: Tunnuh