• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

Re: Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

As a matter of fact, the latest Ballistic AE doesn't miss anything, as far as I'm concerned - after Jonathan took care of the wind issue and made several enhancements.

I love this ap and show it to many shooters that still use paper only or are just getting into LR.

I would like to see the AP be able to give us the choice of changing the last roller in the 3.4v between Lead and Angle.

additionally, when the LOS is OFF it would be nice to not have to see that whole row of information and control it in the Settings.

Thanks RJ

HUD shows MV. Would prefer to have actual velocity at each selected distance, blue then turning red when it goes sub-sonic.

In HUD, to make reading easier and faster, can Path (moa or mil) and Wind (moa or mil) be in bigger font and the same color.
Personally, i never use path in cm or inches but would rather have info on number of clicks.
Thnaks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In HUD, to make reading easier and faster, can Path (moa or mil) and Wind (moa or mil) be in bigger font and the same color.
Personally, i never use path in cm or inches but would rather have info on number of clicks.
Thnaks</div></div>

I've made it bigger for version 3.6.. you can change it to clicks by tapping settings and scroll to the bottom for elevation / windage units.

In 3.6, this won't be the only HUD available to use
smile.gif

Great tool!

Is there any chance of including on the trajectory chart the downrange velocity being displayed in Mach? To say two decimal places, based on local weather information.

I guess room is tight in the chart but perhaps it can be selectable from FPS/Mach in the setup?

Be handy when looking at MV changes and keeping the bullet above transonic downrange, I personally look for Mach 1.2
smile.gif

We need a page where you can shoot your rifle on paper, and put in the exact drop, then it will calibrate the software based on the actual drop. After that the software takes over based on the conditions.

Even something like 4 ranges, 300, 600, 800, & 1000, were you input it, instead of using to true it bending the BC and / or MV ...

Do that in an App and you've won the day.

"generally" speaking, u should reaLY true be messing with the BC, "normally", just tweaking the MV is needed, because the MV you read from your crono is wrong... IE: its not true MV since its measured X distance from the end of the bbl. and built in errors in the crono, and user errors in its setup...

i bet if u use the crono data from that magnetic crono that actually read at the muzzle, and your scope was on, i bet you wouldnt need to true at all...

but thats just a guess on my part/...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"generally" speaking, u should reaLY true be messing with the BC, "normally", just tweaking the MV is needed, because the MV you read from your crono is wrong... IE: its not true MV since its measured X distance from the end of the bbl. and built in errors in the crono, and user errors in its setup...

i bet if u use the crono data from that magnetic crono that actually read at the muzzle, and your scope was on, i bet you wouldnt need to true at all...

but thats just a guess on my part/...</div></div>

That is simply not true, BC are generally over-estimated and it depends on how far you shoot, adjusting the BC helps adjust the curve. Not big but some.

Sometimes just adjusting one changes both short and long ranges, where changing the other helps keep in line the correct short range while changing the long range.

At Gunsite this week, we shot to 2000m and truing "both" was necessary... we spent more than one day "truing" and I had to adjust both, 50fps on the MV and .01 on the other.

For the 285gr Hornady I used .71 and 2800 even though we read 2850 so look up the BC and see what Hornady recommends. The difference between talking about it and doing it.

PS> why do you think they "band" BCs to adjust the number as MV changes.. because one number is not always correct. Great example is the 308 SMK which is listed as .505 and is actually used as .496... that right tells you something. you always have better results if you can band the BC to adjust for the slowing MV

thats why i used "generally" and "normally"..
smile.gif
and ELR is WAY more picky then guys shooting under 1k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats why i used "generally" and "normally"..
smile.gif
and ELR is WAY more picky then guys shooting under 1k</div></div>

Still doesn't make it a valid observation, again, look at the 175gr SMK, which is listed at .505, yet the "trued" number is .496 that right that shows you that "normally" you have to adjust... and why even in JBM they give you multiple BCs based on the velocity when you don't use the Litz value. It's standard to adjust the BC, in fact you can call it the "general" rule of thumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats why i tend to always use G7's</div></div>

Still not a fix and they are even talking about banding G7 now for better results ...

It's still dependent on the Manufacturer in most cases providing the number which in their case, the higher the number the better chances of a sale. It's part of the marketing, why advertise an average if you can use the highest possible number. Not to mention not all manufacturers provide G7 numbers, it's still only in limited release. The general rule and most common number is G1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need a page where you can shoot your rifle on paper, and put in the exact drop, then it will calibrate the software based on the actual drop. After that the software takes over based on the conditions.

Even something like 4 ranges, 300, 600, 800, & 1000, were you input it, instead of using to true it bending the BC and / or MV ...

Do that in an App and you've won the day. </div></div>

This!!

I'm not smart enough to know the answer, but could a program be written that has no other input from the shooter except atmospheric condition, 100 yard zero and then drops at 300, 500, 800 and 1000 and then from this information it can fill in the blanks for the corrections needed from 100 to 2500 yards? Would the program even need an actual MV and/or BC? Or could it use the known values to determine the unknown ones? That would indeed win the day.

Makes sense, you only need to know 2 parts of the equation to have a solution. If you don't know the velocity you could input bullet impact, in most program's case velocity and BC is determined and impact is "X". No need to reinvent the wheel, but it seems most ballistic programs are a reincarnation of pervious ones.

Kirk R

3.5 for iPad has just been released, and the iPhone versions are likely to come within the next 24 hours or so.

Version 3.4 and up have the truing feature you speak of. Tap the Muzzle Velocity tab and you can enter your actual (or relative) drops at whatever distances, and the application will determine the closest matching MV to match.

Also, 3.5 now supports a "powder sensitivity" setting in the reloading section where you can specify a fps/ms value per degree, and the application will automatically adjust the MV based on current temperature.

Completely off topic why the heck did JBM make the program to where you have to buy a seperate app for iPad and the iPhone in order to get all the features? Shooter goes for both without additional purchase but JBM has you pay another $20 to get the full iPad version, especially because when I bought it for the iPhone it was when it cost $29.99 not $19.99!!
Don't confuse this with being unhappy with the product because I use it often and really like it and feel it is well thought out. I just so happen to have gotten a new iPad through work and realized the Ballistic AE was the iPhone version not the iPad version. Oh well

Well enough with my rant carry on......

JBM didn't write Ballistic; the JBM engine is licensed for use in the app. That's stated up front on the website.

They're sold as separate products because they both require an enormous amount of work, and not everybody needs both versions. So rather than charge $39.99 for a version that supports both iPhone and iPad, they're priced and sold separately. As for price, Shooter is priced more around where iSnipe and some of the other less advanced calculators are at. If you compare the two, Shooter really doesn't have nearly as many features as Ballistic; it just got a lot of initial attention because of Litz' name. If you want to talk about price, Bullet Flight is still more expensive.

PS: Version 3.6 of Ballistic will likely be out in the next couple weeks, and adds a Mil-Dot rangefinder with ballistics HUD support.

rangefinder_ipad.PNG

I just downloaded the 3.5 version of Ballistic AE and Ballistic. Thanks for including a way for me to record the targets I want to use in the logbook. Being able to take a picture of the target I want to use or the target I just shot, really makes the logbook feature much more useable. I like the 3D graphics for trajectory as well. I have always liked the app, but this really has a lot of finishing touches. I look forward to version 3.6.

I had no problem buying both Ballistic AE and Ballistic. I bought Ballistic FTE a long time ago and have certainly gotten my moneys worth out of that program especially with the continued support and development, which I benefit from at no additional charge. Ballistic has always been a great value, now more so than ever. Even though Ballistic AE worked great on my Ipad, I decided to buy Ballistic as well. I certainly don't regret that purchase. I hope AshesToAshes, continues to support and develop Ballistic. I also appreciate his willingness to take input from the shooters here and incorporate the suggestions into these two App.

I would like to see the truing function allow for use with mil values instead of inches as a majority of shooters will be recording the field data (hits made at 4.2 mils) instead of trying to record that it was 6" low at a given range.

Version 3.5
Having a problem creating a "Favorite" under the HUD settings.
Also in "Favorites".

I go to "Favorites", click on "Edit" and nothing happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J. A. Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see the truing function allow for use with mil values instead of inches as a majority of shooters will be recording the field data (hits made at 4.2 mils) instead of trying to record that it was 6" low at a given range. </div></div>

That's coming in 3.6, which is pending approval

Quick Question: In the US, standard targets have an X ring around 1", 1/2", 2", etc. What are the standard ring sizes in metric?

Hey guys I have the standard Ballistic app. I like the new features of the AE version. So, should I buy the AE version or should I just buy the "in app" stuff in the standard version?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I have the standard Ballistic app. I like the new features of the AE version. So, should I buy the AE version or should I just buy the "in app" stuff in the standard version?</div></div>

That's up to you, but I can tell you the AE version has features you can't buy with In-App Purchase. These include Bryan Litz' G7 ballistic coefficients (which are also tied to a projectile length database) and 3D trajectory rendering. In addition to that, the AE Head-Up Display has additional settings that can be changed. You also don't get the "AE" moniker when you use In-App purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shotdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys I have the standard Ballistic app. I like the new features of the AE version. So, should I buy the AE version or should I just buy the "in app" stuff in the standard version?</div></div>

That's up to you, but I can tell you the AE version has features you can't buy with In-App Purchase. These include Bryan Litz' G7 ballistic coefficients (which are also tied to a projectile length database) and 3D trajectory rendering. In addition to that, the AE Head-Up Display has additional settings that can be changed. You also don't get the "AE" moniker when you use In-App purchase. </div></div>
Good points. I'll just pay the $20. Thanks.

Satisfied with everything that the app has to offer but cant seem to get the atmosphere to display correctly?

Set up for density altitude. When I add my custom 260 ballistic profile it automatically inserts the atmospherics from when zeroed. Even after enabling current atmospherics, it still shows the same. Will it not synch with correct local weather/density altitude? Have tried going to settings and trying all options and restarting iphone but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

in settings set save currant atmospherics , not load from fav..

also, its best to disable atmospherics on zero when making your fav..
only use atmospherics for making shots after the zero

atmospherics play NO part in zeroing your gun at 100y...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JBM didn't write Ballistic; the JBM engine is licensed for use in the app. That's stated up front on the website.

They're sold as separate products because they both require an enormous amount of work, and not everybody needs both versions. So rather than charge $39.99 for a version that supports both iPhone and iPad, they're priced and sold separately. As for price, Shooter is priced more around where iSnipe and some of the other less advanced calculators are at. If you compare the two, Shooter really doesn't have nearly as many features as Ballistic; it just got a lot of initial attention because of Litz' name. If you want to talk about price, Bullet Flight is still more expensive </div></div> I stand corrected and you are correct it's not that expensive compared to the likes of FFS.

On a side note: What does the iPad version have that the iPhone does not? Other than earlier updates.

Also since it now has the truing feature, you technically don't need a chronograph right? Because you can just get close off of the book numbers and then just true your data and you should be golden right or am I missing something? That would be nice if it was that reliable because I hate screwing with the chronos

I would still recommend a chronograph just to ensure that your data is consistent... but the truing should do a fairly good job of guessing your velocity, IF your BC is correct and if you have at least a handful of data points to go on.

The iPad version has the following additional features (and no, you don't get earlier updates all the time, it just worked out that Apple approved it first this time around. I actually submitted the AE version first, as I usually do, then iPad, then standard).

- Fully integrated split-screen ballistics, favorites, and range log
- Automatically updates ballistics calculations as you edit
- Full screen, hi-resolution charts
- Full screen 3D Trajectory Imaging
- Rotate in any orientation
- Larger target sizes in range log (* this will be especially useful in version 3.7, which will likely put all other target software to death)
- Full screen HUD (Head-Up Display) (* The dials and test are much larger, and the popover is much easier to change settings with for both mil-dot and hud)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I actually submitted the AE version first, as I usually do, then iPad, then standard).</div></div> is The AE version different from the iPad version? Or is there an iPad AE version and an iPhone AE version?

There's the standard edition (iPhone), Advanced Edition (AE) iPhone, and the iPad Edition. The iPad version shares some code with AE, and has all of AE's features, however AE is intended for the iPhone while the iPad version is optimized for iPad, and has some additional iPad features such as the popovers, and extra on-screen controls for various things (like the upcoming rangefinder).

Awesome, thats good to know. Thanks for the info and quick responses.

Version 3.6 is being approved by Apple over the next couple days. AE is already approved. iPad is likely to be approved today. Once all are approved, I'll post the upcoming features for 3.7.

Version 3.6 for iPad and AE are now out. Standard edition should follow soon. I've updated the website for version 3.7. Heres a little preview (see website for more details)...

precision_ae_iphone5.png

I wish there were a way to make it run on my old iPhone 3G. I wanted to convert it over to run it like an iPod to use in the field so I wasn't always messing with my phone and it is just setting there taking up space anyway.

It will run on anything with iOS 4.3.5 or higher. That's more Apple's doing than anybody's. You can't even compile a binary to support < 4.3.5 with today's Xcode compiler unless you ditch support for iOS 5 and 6.

I am completely out of [good] feature request.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ps, I apologize again for my rant the other day. PMS + anything = Rant
</div></div>

A few people have ranted about the price.. but I know what you all pay for your guns.

Apple has agreed to do an expedited review of 3.7, since 3.6 introduced a bug in the HUD where the LOS Angle switch no longer responded (due to some UI changes for iPhone 5). So it should be out in the next day or two!

3.7 is out tonight for ballistic and ballistic for ipad; AE should follow soon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.7 is out tonight for ballistic and ballistic for ipad; AE should follow soon </div></div>

Just got it, what are the highlights between 3.6 and 3.7? Just the HUD fix?