• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

So, does this action open things up for a true long range rimfire cartridge?

.17hmr necked to 20 cal slinging high bc 60 grainers perhaps?

Wouldn’t that be cool....
I’m all for doing things just because but that sounds like a .223 with issues
All of the hassle of rimfire rim thickness primer compound etc. I can’t imagine the nightmare trying to lot test ammo.
This action sounds pretty cool regardless. I just bought a Bergara but would love to do a v22 or maybe this latter in the year.

How are you seeing conflicting info? Their site says it uses their own magazine.
On their Facebook page they replied that it accepts Vudoo magazines, though that's not really conflicting. Their magazine is just a Vudoo magazine with an adjustable magazine catch.

Hmmm.. One 50 yd 5-shot group that measures ~.420" ctc?!

Everything was looking so good until then. Hopefully that group was posted by someone that doesn't officially represent Zermatt/RimX or Proof Research.

If that is truely representative of what to expect, I'll happily keep my CZ/Lilja/Manners combo!

I'll give them style points though. It is a pretty sweet looking setup!

Did I miss something? Are these ready to ship, or are we being teased?

Much like any other action? Go figure...

probably not the most well thought out response. i was still downing my morning monster... you are exactly right. i should clarify meaning compared a vudoo barreled action right from the source where you know the chambering and qc and experience as well as the fact that its set up for lapua center x.

now my bias is showing because i don't know any solid rimfire 'smiths in my area and i'm sure a solid rifle builder is a solid rifle builder, but i've always heard that 22lr can be a tricky rifle to build

probably not the most well thought out response. i was still downing my morning monster... you are exactly right. i should clarify meaning compared a vudoo barreled action right from the source where you know the chambering and qc and experience as well as the fact that its set up for lapua center x.

now my bias is showing because i don't know any solid rimfire 'smiths in my area and i'm sure a solid rifle builder is a solid rifle builder, but i've always heard that 22lr can be a tricky rifle to build

Hopefully with the growing popularity of precision rimfires, and with these new quality actions coming to the market, there will be more and more quality barrel and chamber options coming out from gunsmiths. Seems to be a very fast growing market.

Everything was looking so good until then. Hopefully that group was posted by someone that doesn't officially represent Zermatt/RimX or Proof Research.

If that is truely representative of what to expect, I'll happily keep my CZ/Lilja/Manners combo!

I love that there is literally one 5 shot group posted anywhere and the immediate response is “it won’t shoot, I’ll keep old Bessy here, she’s tried and true!”

Pretty well everyone here knows that there are too many factors involved in rimfire accuracy to say one .420" group is indicative of the accuracy potential the new receiver.

I'm interested to see if the 6 o'clock firing pin location provides any accuracy over a 12 o'clock pin. Where is the vudoo firing pin located?

I love that there is literally one 5 shot group posted anywhere and the immediate response is “it won’t shoot, I’ll keep old Bessy here, she’s tried and true!”
Care to quote me when I said the it won't shoot?
What I said is...
Did you even notice that I used the word "If"? Here's another "If" statement for you...

If, they only posted one group, do you think that they only shot one group? Do you think that they would post the worst group of several? The best group? I single group best representing the average.

By using "If" in my original post, it alludes to me wanting to see more before keeping old "Bessie", does it not?

Let's keep the discourse real and not put words in other's mouths.

Reactions: bgavin
Pretty well everyone here knows that there are too many factors involved in rimfire accuracy to say one .420" group is indicative of the accuracy potential the new receiver.

I'm interested to see if the 6 o'clock firing pin location provides any accuracy over a 12 o'clock pin. Where is the vudoo firing pin located?
I'm pretty excited to see what a 6 o'clock pin does as well. I've heard and read a lot about it, but never had a 6 o'clock action to play with.

The barrel probably accounts for over 90% of accuracy potential from a rimfire. The RimX action should be fantastic to build off of. After having a conversation with Proof regarding their new drop-in CZ barrels I lost faith in their company as it relates to rimfire. A RimX action with a well made barrel, headspaced properly with a match chamber, should shoot circles around that one ~.420" group. I'm looking forward to seeing it's potential.

Reactions: 1badDart

Lolol. The action doesnt decide the group size. The chamber, barrel, stock/chassis and the monkey behind it all does.

Just wait till I get a tube on my for the review...?

Lolol. The action doesnt decide the group size. The chamber, barrel, stock/chassis and the monkey behind it all does.

Just wait till I get a tube on my for the review...?
Haha.. Yeah, kinda said that in the post above yours.? If I can get consistent .2's from CZ actions with drop-in barrels, I'm pretty sure that you can at least equal that with a well made custom barrel and a RimX.?
What tube are you going to go with for your review?

Last edited:
Looks like another great high end 22 trainer option. The only thing I can't understand, though, is why so much bolt throw???? unless you're trying to make it identical to a High Power rig, why not utilize a much lower throw that the rimfire can get away with. I know the Tikka T1x isn't a direct T3 copy, but it has a very low angle throw. This, in turn, allows for very fast bolt manipulation and tons of scope eye piece clearance. Why build a brand new setup with a 90deg bolt throw????

Reactions: Aescobar17
To mimic the TL3 bolt throw identically. If using as a trainer, wouldn't you prefer it be as close to your centerfire rifle as possible?

PX being crowded w/ Vudoo's in 3....2....1.....

Meh, this looks like a much closer offset than the Bergara and if this is interchangeable with Voodo mags, Voodo mags become the defacto mags for the application. Concerns about mag availability are a lot less than a few years ago, but I think this would seal it.

If it gets Mike to come out with an improved ( I don't know how) or a cheaper version, all the better. The "Black Magic' action?

What a great time to be alive and a rimfire shooter. I have a feeling we are going to start seeing more and more innovation. Time to step away from the old ways and start progressing.
I think the next big advance will come in targets and training. The size and thickness and weight of 22lr targets, along with more design freedom on stages could lead to some really interesting. Movers and other stuff... better feedback on misses.

Genuinely curious, what issues did you have with the CZ proof barrels?
I didn't actually have an issue. I mearly had a conversation with them regarding their barrel tenon length and the chamber that they chose. The problem is with me moreso than them if I'm honest. I have troublshot and built a lot of CZ 455's and 457's. I've been able to get them all to shoot tiny groups. Part of my success has been due to some experiments with headspace. When they told me that their tenon length on their drop-in CZ barrels is 1.189" and that they didn't see a necessity for a longer length tenon and shims for custom setting the headspace, I lost respect. Their response was literally something like.."the good news is that we are within SAAMI specs". Sure, that's great from a safety standpoint, but based on their tenon length, the 2 457 actions that I have here would end up with headspace of .046" and .047"! While those are SAAMI safe, they are not optimal for accuracy. Ever wonder what Vudoo means by "they designed their chamber for Lapua ammo"? Aside from other dimensions, Lapua ammo has a rim thickness of .043", which is the tightest allowable SAAMI headspace dimension. I'd bet dollars to donuts that headspace on a Vudoo is .043" or .044" to keep them in safety spec while at the same time taking advantage of the thicker Lapua rim thickness for better accuracy.

My last concern was which chamber they were using. When they condeceningly scoffed at my headspace concerns, I asked which chamber they were using and remarked that I hoped it wasn't a Bentz. They never replied. I found out recently that it is a Bentz.

While this may seem trivial to some, it's not when you're trying to get the most accuracy possible. Headspace is tuneable for your choice of ammo, and a Bentz chamber leaves accuracy on the table compared to most every other match chamber.

All that aside, I was very surprised at the attitude of the person I delt with. Their reputation had led me to believe that a drop-in CZ barrel made by them would be of the highest quality. In reality, they are traveling a road pioneered and abandoned by Lilja a couple of years ago. As far as I know Lilja is the only maker of drop-in CZ barrels that is shimmable. They have also abandoned the Bentz chamber for a more match quality one called the Lilja 2.

I didn't actually have an issue. I mearly had a conversation with them regarding their barrel tenon length and the chamber that they chose. The problem is with me moreso than them if I'm honest. I have troublshot and built a lot of CZ 455's and 457's. I've been able to get them all to shoot tiny groups. Part of my success has been due to some experiments with headspace. When they told me that their tenon length on their drop-in CZ barrels is 1.189" and that they didn't see a necessity for a longer length tenon and shims for custom setting the headspace, I lost respect. Their response was literally something like.."the good news is that we are within SAAMI specs". Sure, that's great from a safety standpoint, but based on their tenon length, the 2 457 actions that I have here would end up with headspace of .046" and .047"! While those are SAAMI safe, they are not optimal for accuracy. Ever wonder what Vudoo means by "they designed their chamber for Lapua ammo"? Aside from other dimensions, Lapua ammo has a rim thickness of .043", which is the tightest allowable SAAMI headspace dimension. I'd bet dollars to donuts that headspace on a Vudoo is .043" or .044" to keep them in safety spec while at the same time taking advantage of the thicker Lapua rim thickness for better accuracy.

My last concern was which chamber they were using. When they condeceningly scoffed at my headspace concerns, I asked which chamber they were using and remarked that I hoped it wasn't a Bentz. They never replied. I found out recently that it is a Bentz.

While this may seem trivial to some, it's not when you're trying to get the most accuracy possible. Headspace is tuneable for your choice of ammo, and a Bentz chamber leaves accuracy on the table compared to most every other match chamber.

All that aside, I was very surprised at the attitude of the person I delt with. Their reputation had led me to believe that a drop-in CZ barrel made by them would be of the highest quality. In reality, they are traveling a road pioneered and abandoned by Lilja a couple of years ago. As far as I know Lilja is the only maker of drop-in CZ barrels that is shimmable. They have also abandoned the Bentz chamber for a more match quality one called the Lilja 2.

Ohhhh, so you're "THAT GUY"..........

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Oh man I'd hate to see y'all get together for a Thanksgiving dinner! Bicker bicker bicker.

I think it's cool to see another full size, high end 22lr on the market and see more development in rimfire. If manufacturers will start trying new rifle set ups (actions, chambers, twist rates, feed ramps, etc), and work on ammo (new primers, powders, bullets, bullet design, etc) maybe we can get rimfire out of the dark ages and into the modern era. I love rimfire and how challenging it is at shorter distances (past 50 yards) but I hate constantly trying to guess if I messed up a shot or if it's my oh so finicky system.

Frankly, I'd like to upgrade my system in the next year. My concern with this particular set up is having two different manufacturers for a barrel and action and having to put the two together myself. Every little thing can cause irregularities in the rimfire system and those irregularities usually show up in your groups. I'm not a gunsmith. I don't have the know how or tools to make sure my head spacing is ideal or that my barrel is torqued just right.

I hope this new option performs great with the Proof prefit barrels, but at a glance it seems there may be too much room for irregularities.

Talked to Frank yesterday, Bartlein is sending me a blank for this new Zermatt action review. Bug thanks to Bartlein and @Frank Green for their continued support of the Snipers Hide community.
So we were all set. Should be a fun project and review. Looking forward to the testing. Now what chassis will it be reviewed in. I smell a ACC for sure for this review @MDT_OFFICIAL ! Will be perfect with the new action and Bartlein barrel. Now to decide what 2 stage trigger to.use to mimic my CZ Bscar which is an amazing trigger.

Talked to Frank yesterday, Bartlein is sending me a blank for this new Zermatt action review. Bug thanks to Bartlein and @Frank Green for their continued support of the Snipers Hide community.
So we were all set. Should be a fun project and review. Looking forward to the testing. Now what chassis will it be reviewed in. I smell a ACC for sure for this review @MDT_OFFICIAL ! Will be perfect with the new action and Bartlein barrel. Now to decide what 2 stage trigger to.use to mimic my CZ Bscar which is an amazing trigger.
What length of barrel? :). Those ACC's fore-end need like a 22" to make it look good :p

What reamer are you going to use?

What length of barrel? :). Those ACC's fore-end need like a 22" to make it look good :p

What reamer are you going to use?
20" clears the ACC forend. I already have one. I have my own custom reamer that cut my last custom Bartlein CZ barrel reviewed here a few months back.

Last edited:
Man the more I run this RimX the more IN LOVE I am. I've been running both the Vudoo and the Zermatt mags and the amount of smooth you get with the Zermatt mag isn't even really comparable. First couple rounds out of the Vudoo, regardless of the ammo I've tested, strip off a little tough. That is definitely not the case with the Zermatt mag. Now I do realize one mag is CNC machined aluminum and the other is basically plastic but the difference in feel is worth the extra $$ in a competitive environment for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: bulldozer3
Man the more I run this RimX the more IN LOVE I am. I've been running both the Vudoo and the Zermatt mags and the amount of smooth you get with the Zermatt mag isn't even really comparable. First couple rounds out of the Vudoo, regardless of the ammo I've tested, strip off a little tough. That is definitely not the case with the Zermatt mag. Now I do realize one mag is CNC machined aluminum and the other is basically plastic but the difference in feel is worth the extra $$ in a competitive environment for sure.

Does anyone know what the mags are going to cost separate?

Any number would just be a guess unless Zermatt responds ;)

Why don't we all wait until the folks at Zermatt start delivering this rifle before we form opinions on how it will shot, feed, cost, etc, etc.

And if you have shot enough rimfire, you know a major component of accuracy of ammo. There is a reason for lot numbers and a reason Tenex is $20 a box.

Why don't we all wait until the folks at Zermatt start delivering this rifle before we form opinions on how it will shot, feed, cost, etc, etc.

And if you have shot enough rimfire, you know a major component of accuracy of ammo. There is a reason for lot numbers and a reason Tenex is $20 a box.

Nothing wrong with inquiring about additional costs when they have already released the cost of the action. Totally agree about the shoot/feed statement though

I have a buddy that is also a dealer, any of you that want to get in on pre-orders PM me and I'll get you contact information.

Dealers can put orders in now, if that's what you are asking? If you want to PM me your questions, I'll get you whatever answers I can directly from Zermatt. I know they are busy getting ready for SHOT but I might be able help some.

It should because the powder will be covering the priming compound as it is ignited. Helps the ignition to be more consistent. We would angle the tips of firing pins on our 10/22's to force the spark more forward to try to mitigate the problem of the powder not resting against the case head.

If you point a gun up then slowly lower it and fire it across a chronograph then do the same except point at the ground then raise and shoot across the chronograph the differences are noticeable. There is a velocity difference when the powder is forward versus the powder being at the rear of the case.

ALTUS has them on pre-order from Zermatt, there is no "non-dealer" pre-order for customers from my understanding. You should be able to get on a list with any Zermatt dealers.