• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

all those look good, looks like u have spin on, make sure u have the right data in that as well..

question, have you tried making any other loads to see if the same thing happens?

I made a new 308 one and it worked. I tried a lot of the 223 using the bullets and the loads with no luck.

What do u mean about the spin on?

I figured it out. I remembered the spin after I posted the last post. I needed to put in the projectile length and rifle twist. Thanks alot for your help.

Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13
OK, I guess I'm just not asking the question in the right context:

Should I:

1: Leave the scope set at my zero setting and shoot my data shots and record the results

or

2: Make the drop adjustments in the scope, shoot the data shots and record the results

for calibration?..#1
after doing 1, then the program should do the rest... BUT!!!!

if after doing that, if you numbers DONT match, EX:you put in your 600/1000 data, then go into the program, and now all your numbers are wonky, then you need to calibrate the scope clicks, or send it in to be checked...

ask me how i know
smile.gif

So Ring, there is no input for scope tracking error? If my adjustments (found during calibration test) are 105%, I can't input that, is that correct?

LW

</graemlin_url>

How about a proper users manual and not just a web page with feature explanations? I have a love hate relationship with this program which is why I also keep Shooter and iStrelok available.

HOW ABOUT A PROPER USERS MANUAL?

Last edited:
So Ring, there is no input for scope tracking error? If my adjustments (found during calibration test) are 105%, I can't input that, is that correct?

LW

setting the scope cal. is under the trajectory setup...

start be selecting your favorite, load it...
after loading it, it will put you on the trajectory screen..

near the bottom is elevation unites.. click, set to custom... set custom to what you have determined you error to be.

How about a proper users manual and not just a web page with feature explanations? I have a love hate relationship with this program which is why I also keep Shooter and iStrelok available.

HOW ABOUT A PROPER USERS MANUAL?

i use shooter mostly now, but thats because i have a droid... but shooters "manual" ain't great either...

lucky of have lots of free times that i play with these and being a techy i can figure 99% of it out, then help you guys :)

Here's a copy of a feature request email I sent earlier this year:

Jonathan,

I am a competitive long range tactical shooter and like Ballistic AE best among the iPhone apps. However, there are a couple of functionality problems that I want you to know about. The problems occur in part because I use the iPhone under "real world" conditions: rain, snow, dust, bright light, etc., in a plastic bag or with gloves or frozen fingers.

1. In the HUD, it's way too easy to accidentally switch to the Settings pane. I had this happen multiple times during a match, and it was not good.

Please consider a lock button, or other means to prevent accidental switching to Settings in HUD.

2. The rangefinder is visually nice, but I have not found it easy to use under pressure--especially in bright sunlight.

Please consider a "simple rangefinder" option with big numbers where we can simply type in the values for target size in inches and mils and view the range.

Thanks for the great product!

How exactly do I enter the error? I did attempt to do that, but the outputs were way out of whack. My scope is tracking +3.6%. So when I dial one mil I'm getting 1.03.

I have skimmed this thread and may have missed it somewhere....

How about Wind "brackets"?

A setting to allow you to set it to "bracket" wind with a High and Low input.... In turn you can get a "bracketed" solution in Adjustments and a reticle page showing the holds for High and Low...

Just another thought...

Great idea.

Ring,

In the HUD, I can only enter Density Altitude in ft, and the temp in *F (even though the trajectory tab will let me enter it in Meters and *C). Can you match the HUD input units to the trajectory input units that we set up under "settings" on the phone?

Cheers,
Chris

How exactly do I enter the error? I did attempt to do that, but the outputs were way out of whack. My scope is tracking +3.6%. So when I dial one mil I'm getting 1.03.

Bought Shooter, it allows you to enter your elevation and windage tracking if needed.

I'd like a simplified trajectory chart/page, where one can choose which fields you can view, such as: distance, elevation, wind and lead... nothing more. Oh and if I am using mils I don't care to see any other measurement. currently I believe it gives me doubles of those, one in mil and on in inches...

Ring,

In the HUD, I can only enter Density Altitude in ft, and the temp in *F (even though the trajectory tab will let me enter it in Meters and *C). Can you match the HUD input units to the trajectory input units that we set up under "settings" on the phone?

Cheers,
Chris

that, i do not know... anyone here got that working?

Tried that, didn't work. And I guess there's no option for windage. Not a biggie as most hold wind. Thanks.

When I hit the weather update button (under the current weather), I noticed that the barometric pressure isn't updating. It stays at 29.92. Is that normal?

I know I should use DA but sometimes I forget my Kestrel.

I mean, the little slot machine look is cool, but for old eyes, it's just harder to read than the previous release. I'm sure it will prove to be even moreso difficult to read in low light situations.

Version 4.6 and Atmosphere metric unit conversion is completely botched:

200m/1010hpa/20°C/60%hum -> 61ft/34202.390Hg/-6.7°F/60%hum

Version 4.6 and Atmosphere metric unit conversion is completely botched:

200m/1010hpa/20°C/60%hum -> 61ft/34202.390Hg/-6.7°F/60%hum

Already fixed in 4.6.1, which was released today with apologies. It looks like the maintenance of Ballistic AE became stellar.

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Can someone explain to me how "Truing" works? What 5 distances should I use and should I turn off "Drop Is Relative"?

Also, are you stuck with just the 5 distances? Or can you submit 5 and then submit another 5?

Sorry I'm confused.

Are you guys using DA with your atmospherics? I am trying to figure out what I should be using aka what works best, I do not have a kestrel.

Can someone explain to me how "Truing" works? What 5 distances should I use and should I turn off "Drop Is Relative"?

Also, are you stuck with just the 5 distances? Or can you submit 5 and then submit another 5?

Sorry I'm confused.

depends on what you shoot... and when it goes sub sonic

but 300-500-700-900 1000

you want you last distance to be "about" when your round is at 1300fps, work back from there

depends on what you shoot... and when it goes sub sonic

but 300-500-700-900 1000

you want you last distance to be "about" when your round is at 1300fps, work back from there

Thanks! I shoot 6.5 Creedmoor and according to this app, it goes subsonic around 1600 yds where I am at.
So should 1500 yds be my last distance and work my way down every 300 yds?

Last edited:

Sorry I'm confused.

You can use it several ways. 1) if you don't have a chronograph you put in your dope( assuming your tracking is correct ) and it will give you a good close mv. I've put two inputs in before and it was close.
2) you can keep a log of temperature and muzzle velocity based on your dope over a period of time and know a ball park figure of fps/ temp change. This will help with cold bore hits when it matters.
3) it will show you just how stable / unstable your lot of powder really is. I've found some lots of Hodgdon extreme powders AREN'T so extreme!!

I have had this software awhile but may change due to the fact I recently got a 4500nv with bluetooth. I want something that that syncs via Bluetooth and streams real time weather/wind data. If ballistic Ae incorporated this it would be HIGHLY competitive with many top notch software and hardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have had this software awhile but may change due to the fact I recently got a 4500nv with bluetooth. I want something that that syncs via Bluetooth and streams real time weather/wind data. If ballistic Ae incorporated this it would be HIGHLY competitive with many top notch software and hardware

I'm pretty sure it won't matter what app you use if you are working on your iPhone as Apple restricts what can be sent over bluetooth. You would likely have to go to another phone with an android operating system.

I'm pretty sure it won't matter what app you use if you are working on your iPhone as Apple restricts what can be sent over bluetooth. You would likely have to go to another phone with an android operating system.

Why does this not surprise me. I love the iPhone but seriously FUCK APPLE

Just get a AB kestrel.

Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

Just get a AB kestrel.

I thought about it but I really like the idea of setting it up on a tripod and just being a measuring device while I have either a phone or pda downloading the data from the kestrel. I don't wanna be reaching for the kestrel everytime. Not to mention id imagine the software in the kestrel isn't the best. Especially with all these mobile apps constantly adding new features and updating their software. If I continue to use the kestrel only as a measurement device I will never have this problem. I'm sure there will be something way better software wise within a couple years

Last edited:
I love the app and there is a lot to learn about the correct use but I do have a question. On the HUD screen if I have the click setting to .1MRad the display shows 85 clicks at 1000 for my load. If I have the click setting to Mrad the the display shows 8 MRad. The difference is 1/2 a mill at 1000 yards. Shouldn't it be 8.5 MRad? The HUD screen doesn't seem to show fractional Mills when set to MRad. Is it possible that could be changed?

** Never mind, I found where to change the HUD output under setting... Like I said, there's a lot to learn. Again, Great app even for a Newb! **

Last edited:
I don't use mine in the field, so I don't care a lick about the HUD numbers or any of those other complaints regarding use while shooting.

I do, however, print out dope cards for every 2,000 ft of DA (I shoot anywhere between 3,000 and 12,000 DA) and it would be great if here were some more options for exporting the data. Specifically, it would be a real time saver if you could export in XL format with some basic formatting already in place like font size, row height, and number formatting.

I love this program and recommend it to everyone with an iPhone.

OK I do have a question. On the Iphone, using the range finder screen my target is in the middle of the reticle. How can I get the target to set on the lower post as shown in the photo's on the site...I use this to practice milling targets and estimating 1/10ths of a mill.

Make it compatible with the Shaka weather station for smartphone. It reads, temp, RH, barometric pressure and wind.

www.shakaon.net

If it could constantly feed live updates to the JBM app on your phone, that would rock!