• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

Re: Ballistic AE .. what is it missing that you want..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so I click the arrow in the top right corner and clicked "Save Defaults" but when I click Favorites nothing is in there, and in HUD, I click Ballistic Profile and the only thing it says is New Projectile.

Also, my Path(moa) and Wind(moa) are still showing whole numbers instead of #.#(mil) like I need.</div></div>

NOOOOOO>>>>>>>...
smile.gif

i dont have my ipod with me right now, so i cant tell u everything, but after u build it, go to the bottom to make the chart, THEN save as a fav...

the "Save Defaults" you hit is something else, i would hit "reset defaults" if u can...

once i get the vid up it will be simple.. ill do my best to do it tonight...

Awesome that will be perfect and if you could also explain why the output isnt showing me .1mrad clicks on the up and down would be great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome that will be perfect and if you could also explain why the output isnt showing me .1mrad clicks on the up and down would be great</div></div>

You have to go in to Settings/Ballistic AE, go down to the HUD section and set the output precision to tenths. That's the Settings app for the phone, the settings aren't in the app itself.

Honestly I found it annoying that it wasn't that by default...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AshesToAshes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd appreciate any good reviews.

A few people have left less than great reviews, and haven't bothered even contacting me to try and address the issues they're having. At least a few of them clearly can't read and didn't bother reading the website documentation. I think a couple aren't using the app properly... but because these are just reviews, I have no idea who these people are and therefore can't reach out to them to try and fix their problems.

So... I'd appreciate any good reviews to offset some of these.
</div></div>

done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome that will be perfect and if you could also explain why the output isnt showing me .1mrad clicks on the up and down would be great</div></div>

You have to go in to Settings/Ballistic AE, go down to the HUD section and set the output precision to tenths. That's the Settings app for the phone, the settings aren't in the app itself.

Honestly I found it annoying that it wasn't that by default... </div></div>

Changed it to tenths and when I opened it back up, my drop to say 500yds is U43.3 .... Not sure why it says that, but I know that isnt no where close to the normal 3mil dots it takes to hit unless i am reading my phone incorrectly.

done.... enjoy..

<span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">just made a full Ballistic AE How to setup and configure video</span>..
</span>
http://youtu.be/iKa37jxUe8M

tell me how u like and if u need more..

If you've got your units set to .1 mRad then the HUD shows you how many of those you'll need, so that's 4.3 mil. If you want the HUD to just show 4.3, set your units to whole mRad.

At least I think that's what's going on in your case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mister Ouchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've got your units set to .1 mRad then the HUD shows you how many of those you'll need, so that's 4.3 mil. If you want the HUD to just show 4.3, set your units to whole mRad.

At least I think that's what's going on in your case. </div></div>

Awesome, thanks dude!

Got everything of mine lined out, velocities, adjustment increments, etc., and wanted to have it ready for Saturday when we went coyote hunting.

Ended up not seeing any yotes but took it to the local spot we shoot some distance and it got me on target which was a rock about 25'' in diameter, first round hit, at 984 yds cold bore when I entered Kestrel info.

Thanks A2A!!!!

Booger!!! Was doing the "truning" thing but ran out of target height at 800 meters. Oh, well, all the others were pretty much spot on.

Does ae calculate max ordinate and the height of bullet along the differnt stages of bullet path? If so i cant figure out where it is? If ae cant do it, Can someone point me to a calculator or formula for this. Most interest in approx height for 308 shootin 178 amax on 900 yard shot at the 700 and 800 yard marks.

4.2.2 is in review, with a handful of bug fixes.

Please just a little problem.

I've set output precision in hundreds; at this point I've set maximum range at 1000, minimum at 200, range increment 10 and zero range at 400

After calculate traectory i read in the output solution at the distance of 400 a drop different from 0 ( remember that 400 is the zero range setted) why tris happens?

Thank you

I have a minor tweak request. I have been using the logbook features quite a bit and love the improvements you have made to it over the last few months. It makes if very easy to spot trends in my shooting, especially over an extended period of time. I was looking at the "Group Analytics" and thought it could be improved with the additional field of "MOA" even if its just the average MOA for the group. This would allow a quick comparison for groups fired at different distances rather than having to convert them all to either MOA or MILs first. I believe all the fields in this catagory would work better if show in MOA or MILs rather than inches. It would be great if you could make this change or atleast have it as an option.

Thanks,
DW

Driftwood, if you enter a distance on the previous range card screen, it will calculate MOA of groups for you.

Minox, this could happen for a number of reasons; did you specify a zero atmosphere? If the atmosphere has changed, your zero might be off from its original zero. Also, depending on what kind of metric conversions you may have in your recipe anywhere. Headwinds and other such factors can also affect your trajectory at zero. How much is it off?

I understand that it will display Moa on the individual group. What I was requesting was on the "group analysis report" where I can look at a summary of my entry's for a specific "titled" entry. When I look at the log, the first summary there are titles, below each title is "cold bore report", below that is "rifle scoreboard report", below that is the "group analysis report". I would like this report to give me the information in Moa or mil rather than inches. I can then look down the report at a glance and see how the load or rifle is performing over all the various entries. You could even add an average Moa from all the entries on this page if you were feeling froggy. Right now it displays information on group size in inches which is fine if I shot all the entries at the same range, unfortunately, I don't , so what I get is a lot of information that I have to convert to Moa so that I can compare the results of one entry to another. I am sorry if I was unclear before. Please let me know if you are still unclear about what I am requesting

Seems like ae used to automatically pick up current weather when i enabled atmosphere. I cannot get it to load weather now. I have tried with all 3 weather services. Am i missing something? Wen i press the symbol in top right it gives me an error message. I assume that symbol is to update weather but dont know. It states

query failed.
The operation couldn't be completed. (kCLErrorDomain error 1.)

Yesterday, my AE started acting up. I noticed (when calculating trajectory) that when I click on the reloading data button, it populates the reloading data screen and then, within a second or two, the whole program shuts off. Any suggestions? Help?

bobo, try resetting your location warnings on iPhone in Settings > General > Reset.

Bob 964 if it is crashing, can you provide the details on what data you input into Trajectory that causes it? Try resetting all defaults then starting from scratch, and let me know what settings you change.

Ashes-to-Ashes. Thanks for weighing in.

I click on "Trajectory." I input the BC. I input the bullet diameter. I input the bullet weight. I designate the native drag model (G7). I input the MV. I input chronograph distance. I designate the drag model to be used (G7). I click on "Reloading data." The program opens the reloading data screen and then crashes 1 second later. I have reset every value I can reset and the problem persists.

Bob 964, I need exact data if I'm going to reproduce the crash... can you provide the BC, diameter, etc ? Exactly as you put it in?

Bob 964, I need exact data if I'm going to reproduce the crash... can you provide the BC, diameter, etc ? Exactly as you put it in?

Click on trajectory. Enter 0.230 in Ballistics Coefficient. Enter 0.308 in Bullet Diameter. Enter 155 in Bullet Weight. Click on Native Drag Model and check G7. Click Trajectory to return to previous screen. Enter 2950 in Muzzle Velocity. Enter 10 in Chronograph. Click Use Drag Model and check G7 - VLD Boat Tail. Click Trajectcory to return to previous screen. Click Reloading Data and program crashes.

Click on trajectory. Enter 0.230 in Ballistics Coefficient. Enter 0.308 in Bullet Diameter. Enter 155 in Bullet Weight. Click on Native Drag Model and check G7. Click Trajectory to return to previous screen. Enter 2950 in Muzzle Velocity. Enter 10 in Chronograph. Click Use Drag Model and check G7 - VLD Boat Tail. Click Trajectcory to return to previous screen. Click Reloading Data and program crashes.

If I scroll to the bottom and click Calculate Trajectory, I get the following message:

Cannot Calculate
Unable to calculate ballistics for these conditions.pm_tj_derivs():Y(d->v)<DBL_MIN.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ashes-to-Ashes

I followed the set-up video offered by Ring and I think the problem is solved. Apparently, one or more of the settings was improper, but Ring's video walked me through the proper settings. I can't explain how it happened. I haven't intentionally changed any of the settings. I love the app and it has always worked as it should. Oh well...

Thanks Ring!

I think being able to *type* the range in the HUD would be nice!

Also, kind of confused on why you need a "zero" and "current" atmosphere, why would you just need the "current" atmosphere?

Question for the iPad. When calculating a Trajectory and entering data for the Spin and Stability field, I turn both on. The trajectory screen shows "both" on. When I double check, the spin drift is now off and if I go back to the Trajectory screen only "stability" is on. I must go back and turn spin drift on again. I'm hoping both are on when the screen says both. Just can't double check. Thanks, Great program, really like it.

Minox, this could happen for a number of reasons; did you specify a zero atmosphere? If the atmosphere has changed, your zero might be off from its original zero. Also, depending on what kind of metric conversions you may have in your recipe anywhere. Headwinds and other such factors can also affect your trajectory at zero. How much is it off?

Thank You AshesToAshes,

I've tried many and many different settings and I' found that the problem is generating by metric conversion!! Using all imperial units the software works perfect.

When you'll have a bit of time it will be fine to solve this improper functioning (here in Italy we are used and able to work with metric units)

Thank you so much for all your work

Sergio

Would be nice to have a Range card.

Let's say my stage has 235,790, 1010 yards. It would be nice if it would read out all 3 and give wind calls as well.

I deleted mine and went to Shooter much more user friendly . Ballistic AE was a pain in the neck.

I think it's great the designer came on the hide to solicit ways to improve Ballistic A.E. I don't see how your post gives any suggestions for improving Ballistic, which is what this thread is about. I would also disagree with your assessment of Ballistic's ease of use when compared to Shooter, which I bought over a year ago because of all the hype about it here. It is not even in the same league as Ballistic in function capabilities or ease of use. While I don't use Shooter nearly as much as Ballistic, I haven't deleted it as I think it is a decent app with basic features. I wouldn't ever recommend Shooter over Ballistic though. Perhaps,if the developer solicited suggestions from shooters and incorporated them, it could become an app on par with Ballistic. However, since I bought Shooter last year, there have been no updates let alone improvements and Shooter is far from a polished app. Why not tell "ashes to Ashes" exactly what improvements you would like to see with Ballistic rather than post some vague unhelpful post like you just did or start another thread explaining why you think Shooter is so much better than Ballistic, but how about keeping this thread directed at improving Ballistic for those of us that enjoy using it.

And that is why I like shooter better No constant changing how it works. For me Ballistic AE is way too complicated and difficult to see and use in the field .
I have very large hands and fingers and trying to use the BAE wind settings on a an ip-pod touch is a nightmare .
I could not get it to correct for wind hold offs the correct direction mine was always backwards , going left when it should be right and vica versa. I found the developer to be a very clever PR person but quite unhelpfull in person .
Shooter is just as accuarte as BAE but for me easier to use .
Not asking anyone else to change , just having my say . BAE cost me more than Shooter to buy and I would not dump it for no reason but the frustration of using it combined with the lack of good support was actually making me shoot worse not better .
I can only go by my experience with the product and it was unsatisfying to me .

Would be nice to have a Range card.

Let's say my stage has 235,790, 1010 yards. It would be nice if it would read out all 3 and give wind calls as well.

This would be a great feature.

Also, I knew nothing about this app when I bought it. Didn't know what was what. Due to this thread, along with a lot of reading on SH, I was able to figure it out. I really like this app. I was able to hit a 1000 yard shot on my 3 rd try without any previous DOPE using this ballistic calculator.

And that is why I like shooter better No constant changing how it works. For me Ballistic AE is way too complicated and difficult to see and use in the field .
I have very large hands and fingers and trying to use the BAE wind settings on a an ip-pod touch is a nightmare .
I could not get it to correct for wind hold offs the correct direction mine was always backwards , going left when it should be right and vica versa. I found the developer to be a very clever PR person but quite unhelpfull in person .
Shooter is just as accuarte as BAE but for me easier to use .
Not asking anyone else to change , just having my say . BAE cost me more than Shooter to buy and I would not dump it for no reason but the frustration of using it combined with the lack of good support was actually making me shoot worse not better .
I can only go by my experience with the product and it was unsatisfying to me .

It's a learning curve for sure, but that's because it offers more.

With my sub 308 load I have about 1.7fps per degree powder sensitivity. At 80f I zeroed at 95yds. Yesterday it was 60 and of course my mv dropped and it showed that in the HUD, but the normal 2.9 that I dial from my standard zero was now 2" low due to the velocity loss. I thought the software was supposed to compensate for this, hence the box to input zero conditions, which I have filled out.

Also a feature I would like to see is a way to base the firing solution off of a turret position. Ie. I need 2.9mils to get a 95yd zero with my sub load. At 200yds it drops 5.2, so I actually need to have 8.1 on the turret. It would be convenient if there were a way to have it show that in the output and cut out the math and room for user error.

Repeated request, so far ignored: In metric mode, HUD windage with 0.5 m/s step please.

Question for Magnetospeed owners: Do you guys change the "Chronograph distance" from the default of 10 feet? Should I be running it at 0 feet? 1 feet?

Here's a feature I need but don't see in either Ballistic (I'm currently using v.4.2.2) or Ballistic AE: Cant Angle. I note that Cant Angle is available in JBM on line.

A lot of tactical matches are including odd barricades that require one to shoot with the rifle/scope canted to 45 degrees or 90 degrees for example. Thus, it would be great to have Cant Angle available in Ballistic/Ballistic AE to calculate this on the fly in the field. Is this possible?

Thanks for a great product and the ongoing updates!

Full metric support would be nice - the ability to change fields between metric and imperial in any field, on the fly, would be great instead of having to select either metric or imperial in settings. One example, down here in Oz-stralia, we use metric but still stick to feet per second for velocity. If it can be done in a kestrel, it should be able to be done in an app as clever as Ballistic AE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Full metric support would be nice - the ability to change fields between metric and imperial in any field, on the fly, would be great instead of having to select either metric or imperial in settings. One example, down here in Oz-stralia, we use metric but still stick to feet per second for velocity. If it can be done in a kestrel, it should be able to be done in an app as clever as Ballistic AE.

I want to do the exact same thing but with MPH

and

Repeated request, so far ignored: In metric mode, HUD windage with 0.5 m/s step please.

I think both of these would be awesome. I would also REALLY like if the ranging practice tool had a reticle that was actually calibrated correctly. The current one seems to use dots of a .6ish mil diameter when I think they should be .2 mils in diameter. If you could also have the ability to change where the reticle falls on the target so you could line it up like you do in real life that would be great. It would be INCREDIBLE if you could have other images on here instead of just a square, like a silhouette of a white tailed deer. I know this is kind of an absurd request, but it would be awesome!

PS, I will leave a good review to offset the bad ones just because it's amazing you listen to feedback from users. If you do the silhouette thing I will make EVERYONE I know who has this write a good review.

I would like to see the in drop columns from the trajectory card be optional. It can be kind of busy and for the most part, I'm only concerned with how many MOA or Mrad the drop is. Inches is gee wiz info. This goes for the wind as well

Also, in the HUD, I would like the heading to be fixed so if I scroll through the trajectory card it's always visible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363754268.443064.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363754268.443064.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 22
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363754358.573783.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1363754358.573783.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 30
Hi,
How come when printing my range card, wind velocity (10m/s) and wind angle (90°) do not show up in the upper part of the page?
On the other hand, correction appear down the page in the bullet trajectory. It is kind of confusing when printing different wind velocities.
Thanks a lot for your great app

Attachments

• b ae.jpg
    b ae.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
the ability to change fields between metric and imperial in any field, on the fly, would be great instead of having to select either metric or imperial in settings.

Couldn't agree more. I shoot with various foreign folk at times; ending up with a complete hybrid of information that cant be covered with just 'imperial' or 'metric' and having the ability to set any independent field to whatever unit of measure you prefer/need is a great help. iSnipe has this function which is extremely user friendly but I prefer JBM (iSnipe has no zero atmosphere conditions as far as I can tell, amongst other things). If you implement this feature I'd literally delete all the other apps off my phone.

User friendliness is definitely really low in this app I would like to see an easier ability to select firearm and loads perhaps a home screen where you select the firearm and load you are using then your able to use the rest of the features inside the app for that setup. It feels clunky to me as I use multiple rifles so,e in the same caliber and some in different calibers I would like to see the app make saving rifles and all the loads associated with that rifle easier similar to the interface in shooter where you select a firearm then the loads for that firearm from a different list.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

I wish the app could tell you what your zero will be when switching loads, e.g. If I zeroed with 168gr @ 100 yards, what will my zero change to by switching to a 175gr load.