• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I might get the hart. The Shilen is a tad better than the Muller.
Shilen, Muller. Lilja and benchmark are currently the top remfire barrel makers. "Not necessarily in that order." And I would never stray far from those four. The Muller MI has the upper hand right now but I would never say one is better than the other. Once you buy a barrel blank it's out of the makers hands! I would be more concerned about the gunsmiths ability to chamber correctly and slug the barrel to determine where to place the crown.

Shilen, Muller. Lilja and benchmark are currently the top remfire barrel makers. "Not necessarily in that order." And I would never stray far from those four. The Muller MI has the upper hand right now but I would never say one is better than the other. Once you buy a barrel blank it's out of the makers hands! I would be more concerned about the gunsmiths ability to chamber correctly and slug the barrel to determine where to place the crown.

You forgot Bartlein and Krieger and I've tested ALL of them on a RimX. Krieger and Bartlein were top of the list performance wise from 50-400... with Benchmark being a close 3rd...

You forgot Bartlein and Krieger and I've tested ALL of them on a RimX. Krieger and Bartlein were top of the list performance wise from 50-400... with Benchmark being a close 3rd...
Did you ever test Shilen?

Not sure what the purpose of these tests are. Unless you tested multiple barrels from each manufacturer(I'm thinking 10 minimum and would like to see 100), the test only proves that ONE barrel from a manufacturer shot better or worse than ONE barrel from another manufacturer. This is as bad as the guys firing 3 shots and claiming single digit sd's.

Did you ever test ks or ibi

Muller and Shilen currently dominate UL 50 yd benchrest While both Bartlein and Krieger build excellent centerfire barrels their remfire barrels don't cut it against Shilen or Muller.

• Haha
Reactions: padom
You forgot Green Mountain 😁 the 2 different GM’s I had(18” with Eachus, 22” with Nevius) would hang in there with any barrel out there. Don’t get me wrong, Bartlein and Kreiger barrels would shoot a tad better 6x5’s avg. but we’re talking .01’s and with a barrel that’s half the cost.

You forgot Green Mountain 😁 the 2 different GM’s I had(18” with Eachus, 22” with Nevius) would hang in there with any barrel out there. Don’t get me wrong, Bartlein and Kreiger barrels would shoot a tad better 6x5’s avg. but we’re talking .01’s and with a barrel that’s half the cost.

I didn't forget😉 they have been excellent for me! And my sample size on bartlein and Green Mountain are 10+ each...

I didn't forget😉 they have been excellent for me! And my sample size on bartlein and Green Mountain are 10+ each...
Hey Padom, I have a RIMX with an 20” M24 Bartlein barrel using John’s “proprietary 2.5 degree Match Chamber”. I have ok results using SK Std and SK Rifle match, good enough for hitting steel in prs, but not benchrest accurate. What ammo would you suggest trying? I will probably go to Marengo for a Lapua lot test this summer. Fwiw, my factory T1x shoots every bit as good (and that’s not saying much), best scores for each is only 235 out of 250 at my local club. Flyers keep me from better scores every match.

I haven't tested thst Chamber but it's a little looser dimensions vs my 22LR Match Eachus Chamber.

Honest answer to your question....lot test. SK+ and RM aren't the most consistent from lot to lot but when you find a lot your barrel likes, it shoots lights out. Otherwise, random fliers are a killer with those 2.

R50 and CX are going to be more consistent. But you still have to lot test.

Rifle finally together
KRG Whiskey 3 stock
Bartlein 1.20 barrel
Hawkins rings
Element Theos scope

Can't wait to get her out and shooting this weekend. Hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

*EDIT*
Was able to get out and shoot 50 rounds through the new rifle. At 50 yards it was boringly simple to put the rounds in the same hole. Moving out to 100 yards it was about the same. The 1/3 Ipsc target was boring to hit time and time again. Next time out to the range will get a target out to 200 yards and see what happens. Now mind you this was the first 50 rounds and I was using SK+ ammo, so nothing special.

Attachments

• 20230504_194633.jpg
    20230504_194633.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 103
  • 20230504_195044.jpg
    20230504_195044.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I came across a decently priced RimX rifle and couldn’t let it pass. It was equipped with an MPA Matrix, Vortex Razor Gen 2 and a 20” Proof Carbon barrel. My first impression was that it was way out of balance with the barrel being so light so I swapped the chassis for a Manners EH1 I had lying around. Balance improved a lot, but still isn’t perfect, it wants a little more weight on the front. I believe a 24”-26” M24 steel barrel will be ok if i want to return to the chassis, but for now it is shooting just fine as it is.
IMG_3708.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg

Reactions: Browninglover1
Finally got my hands on a RIMX action. Ordered a Proof Research stainless barrel. Been plinking with a 10/22 for years but picked up my first bolt action 22 in February so I'm still a noob when it comes to all of this. I'm having issues with headspace. Here's what I did to install:

1. Removed extractor, firing pin and ejector.
2. Installed barrel into SAC Bravo vise
3. Applied anti seize to barrel threads
4. Hand tightened action to barrel
5. Inserted Zermatt action wrench and torqued to 70 ft/lbs, then tried 40 ft/lbs to see if any difference.
6. inserted Zermatt supplied nogo gauge: Bolt did not close
7. inserted Forster go gauge and bolt would not close at either torque setting.

Action is new; bolt, barrel and gauges cleaned. Measured Go gauge rim and its 430. Anything else to check before I reach out to Zermatt? Or is this a barrel issue? TIA,

Jeff

Finally got my hands on a RIMX action. Ordered a Proof Research stainless barrel. Been plinking with a 10/22 for years but picked up my first bolt action 22 in February so I'm still a noob when it comes to all of this. I'm having issues with headspace. Here's what I did to install:

5. Inserted Zermatt action wrench and torqued to 70 ft/lbs, then tried 40 ft/lbs to see if any difference.

Action is new; bolt, barrel and gauges cleaned. Measured Go gauge rim and its 430. Anything else to check before I reach out to Zermatt? Or is this a barrel issue? TIA,

Jeff
Will it chamber an actual round?

Reactions: Schütze
I’m thinking barrel issue, but since you have the bolt stripped, will it chamber a round? Do you know what reamer proof uses?

Jeff
With the RimX, the bolt closing with a barrel installed is the effective "go" gauge. As long as the no-go that we supplied doesn't close, you're good to go.

The way we capture a round and set headspace is unique to our system.

Thank you - Ray

Reactions: Schütze
With the RimX, the bolt closing with a barrel installed is the effective "go" gauge. As long as the no-go that we supplied doesn't close, you're good to go.

The way we capture a round and set headspace is unique to our system.

Thank you - Ray
Thanks Ray.

I’m thinking barrel issue, but since you have the bolt stripped, will it chamber a round? Do you know what reamer proof uses?
Yes, it chambers a round. Not sure what reamer they use. I'll shoot them an email.

Ray, one more thing. What do you recommend for the barrel to action torque setting?

I currently have it set to 40lb. I guess I'll start from there. Thanks!

I got a chance to take this new Manzella Precision 20" Green Mountain 1.25" Straight barrel out for the first time today. Its cut with my 22LR Match Eachus chamber. Its been sitting in the safe for a few months Ive been so busy but got a chance to get some rounds down it today. It was hot and gusty out there today and it shot great.

I didnt do any lot testing, or cherry picking of known good lots of ammo. I gathered up a pile of half opened boxes of CenterX, SK+, R50, SK Pistol Match Special, SK Pistol Match, and Federal Gold Medal Match and shot a bunch of 5 shot groups at 50yd and a few at 100yd.

It really shot great. I have found that the Green Mountains have taken a few hundred rounds to really settle in consistency wise but this thing was really shooting some awesome groups from the get go.. A few 0.1"s @ 50yd and lots of 0.2's...and a 0.3" @ 100yd with a 0.5 and 0.6. I didnt shoot many at 100yd. Just shot a few with some of the better boxes I shot at 50 but I had a off and on 5-10mph gusty condition so I didnt want to waste ammo. I also shot a 20rd group of SK Pistol Match Special @ 50yd that measured 0.467" . Ive always had great results with SK PMS @ 50yd but it falls apart badly at 100yd.

Here are the targets. None of the lines are all same ammo. I was just shooting what was left in one box and grabbing another box. The best shooting ammo was R50, SK+ and SK Pistol Match Special. The R50 stood out at 100yd shooting the 2 small groups on the bottom row.

I really liked the 20" 1.25" straight blank. Mike cerakoted it black as well. Looks nice and shot great!

50yd

100yd

As a heads up, Mike told me today he has over 20 Green Mountain 1.25" 27" straight blanks in stock and 1 Krieger left ready to cut to length. If youre looking for a RimX barrel, they wont last long!

@ST42 was messaging me his Manzella RimX barrel was hammering today as well. Must be a RimX day. hahah

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt_3479
@padom is spot on regarding Mike’s work. I had him work up my 20” 1.25 Krieger. “Freekin Laser Beam”! I put 300 rounds through it over the last two days. CenterX is giving me incredible groups at 50 and 100 yards. I’ll try to get some pics up in a bit, but I can tell you Mike Manzella knocked it out of the park for me.

Waiting for my Shilen 12twist 1.25" straight blank to get here this week then it's off to Mike to chamber for my RimX testing. Looking forward to testing it against my other barrels, especially the 12 twist at distance

Reactions: Matt_3479
Waiting for my Shilen 12twist 1.25" straight blank to get here this week then it's off to Mike to chamber for my RimX testing. Looking forward to testing it against my other barrels, especially the 12 twist at distance
How many 12’s do you have or will this be the first one on your testing?

More importantly....just how many rifles and/or barrels do you have at this point!? :D

How many 12’s do you have or will this be the first one on your testing?
This will be my 3rd. The first 2 I tested were LW and they did not come close in accuracy or consistency as my others. Not at ANY distance. I was not impressed.

Hoping for better results with this Shilen

This will be my 3rd. The first 2 I tested were LW and they did not come close in accuracy or consistency as my others. Not at ANY distance. I was not impressed.

Hoping for better results with this Shilen
Have you tested LW 16 twists to compare? You heard such mixed bag of reviews with LW.

No just their 12
Well eager to hear your 12 results with the LW. My buddies 16 twist LW is a hummer of a barrel, the LW I played with was good but not great. Both 16’s.

My 1 12 Ibi is a fantastic barrel at 50 and further but my other isn’t great at 50 but consistent at 200.

Have a 14 twist ks coming to try

Last edited:
Well eager to hear your 12 results with the LW.

I just posted my LW 12 test results 2 posts above...."The first 2 I tested were LW and they did not come close in accuracy or consistency as my others. Not at ANY distance. I was not impressed.?

I have the Shilen 12 twist coming that I'm about to test if that's what you're referring to...

I just posted my LW 12 test results 2 posts above...."The first 2 I tested were LW and they did not come close in accuracy or consistency as my others. Not at ANY distance. I was not impressed.?

I have the Shilen 12 twist coming that I'm about to test if that's what you're referring to...
Sorry, taking care of a 2 year old, while cooking and typing. I meant I’m eager to hear your shilen results

Just did a barrel swap on my Rim-x. I took off the proof carbon fiber and installed a 19” SS proof competition. I tried SK standard + and Lapua Long Range. Surprisingly the SK gave me better results, but I’m still not thrilled with them. About 0.6”@50m Lapua was closer to 1”@50m.
The CF barrel likes the Lapua much better and it goes down to the 0.3” consistently but I don‘t like the balance.
Has anyone tried the Preferred Barrel Blanks Prefits for the Rim-X??

IMG_4027.jpegIMG_4026.jpegIMG_4025.jpeg

Contact mike @ Manzella Precision. He just cut my Kreiger and it is showing great results! IIRC he has a few MTU or M24 Kreigers ready to go.

7FMtcVr.jpg

udWwvHz.jpg

2KhXtrH.jpg

These groups could be a whole lot tighter, but I’m presently shooting with an old eye prescription. That cold bore group is what it shoots everyday when my eyesight cooperates.

fFHN2hh.jpg

Reactions: prieto9000
Just did a barrel swap on my Rim-x. I took off the proof carbon fiber and installed a 19” SS proof competition. I tried SK standard + and Lapua Long Range. Surprisingly the SK gave me better results, but I’m still not thrilled with them. About 0.6”@50m Lapua was closer to 1”@50m.
The CF barrel likes the Lapua much better and it goes down to the 0.3” consistently but I don‘t like the balance.
Has anyone tried the Preferred Barrel Blanks Prefits for the Rim-X??

View attachment 8161370View attachment 8161371View attachment 8161372
Try a couple other SK flavors. Both my Proof's like Match and one in particular shoots one hole at 50yds with Long Range Match.

Reactions: prieto9000
Rifle finally together
KRG Whiskey 3 stock
Bartlein 1.20 barrel
Hawkins rings
Element Theos scope

Can't wait to get her out and shooting this weekend. Hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

*EDIT*
Was able to get out and shoot 50 rounds through the new rifle. At 50 yards it was boringly simple to put the rounds in the same hole. Moving out to 100 yards it was about the same. The 1/3 Ipsc target was boring to hit time and time again. Next time out to the range will get a target out to 200 yards and see what happens. Now mind you this was the first 50 rounds and I was using SK+ ammo, so nothing special.
Who did your barrel work, and what chamber? thanks

Shilen 13 twist taper lapped Stainless Select Match blank came yesterday. Looking forward to testing this barrel out at distance.

I also have Wilson barrels http://wilsonarms.com/ (NOT Wilson Combat) who are confident their rimfire barrels will shoot with the best of them sending me 2 blanks that will be here shortly. 16 twist... gonna send these to Mike @ Manzella Precision to have these all chambered with my reamer and the 2 Wilson's I'll test at 20" and 24"...

I honestly never heard of a Wilson rimfire blank but I guess we will find out soon enough. Stay tuned.....

Last edited:
The guys over at Bullet Central did the barrel work and used a Nevis reamer for the chamber.
I'd be interested in hearing how you get along with the Nevius chamber in a Rim-X - I had issues with an EPS chamber being too tight at the back of the chamber, and causing feeding issues in my Rim-X. The Nevius is even tighter than the EPS... I wound up cutting enough of the shank off to remove the whole EPS chamber, then re-cut the tenon and used a JGS Win52D reamer to cut a new chamber. That solved my feeding issues...

Last edited: