Arkansan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
NE Arkansas
I got that same feedback from another post. Chris Simmons winning barrel was a Krieger, basically same barrel and chamber as the one I sent to Jacob. I have a couple of barrels I set up for Lapua, 1 1/2 degree leade, but will be shooting 2 degree now since I will be shooting Eley (going with recommendations from Kevin Nevius) and rather than rechamber, I'll probably post them on shooters with tuner.

Last edited:

Arkansan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
NE Arkansas
20220606_181609.jpg
Christmas came early. The "Brown Santa" dropped off 2 packages: the 26" Vudoo Shilen barreled action and the Keystone 24" GM. Rimx prefit.
The Shilen has the EPS Ultimate chamber and the GM the Eachus.
John did a great job on the GM. I am looking forward to making a comparison between the 2 chambers before deciding on which to use with my other Shilen.. I am really intrigued by the Eachus chamber. It is super tight, but allowed me to chamber and extract unfired CCI SV, Eley, and SK. I am surprised because I had "heard" that tight chambers don't always allow this and both of these chamber engrave a good amount. What surprised me even moire is how tight the Eachus is. I have an Eley Ultimate reamer, which is a straight .220" which is one of the narrowest chambers I have seen listed. The reamer will not go into the Eachus chamber. It is very tight and probably explains why it performs so well. Looking forward to wringing these 2 out.
I am totally impressed with the Keystone GM workmanship.

Last edited:

MC56

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2019
View attachment 7886273Christmas came early. The "Brown Santa" dropped off 2 packages: the 26" Vudoo Shilen barreled action and the Keystone 24" GM. Rimx prefit.
The Shilen has the EPS Ultimate chamber and the GM the Eachus.
John did a great job on the GM. I am looking forward to making a comparison between the 2 chambers before deciding on which to use with my other Shilen.. I am really intrigued by the Eachus chamber. It is super tight, but allowed me to chamber and extract unfired CCI SV, Eley, and SK. I am surprised because I had "heard" that tight chambers don't always allow this and both of these chamber engrave a good amount. What surprised me even moire is how tight the Eachus is. I have an Eley Ultimate reamer, which is a straight .220" which is one of the narrowest chambers I have seen listed. The reamer will not go into the Eachus chamber. It is very tight and probably explains why it performs so well. Lookig forward to wringing these 2 out.
I am totally impressed with the Keystone GM workmanship.

I'm shooting a GM 22" from Keystone that I believe has that chamber and it's been great. Kinda wish I went with a 24", but it shoots well, no issues with feeding/extraction, and is plenty accurate with SK rifle match.

I rarely shoot for groups so this is the only pic I have at the moment. 10 shots off a bench, bag and bipod, shot in rapid succession. The flyer was probably on me.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2022-06-06 22:41:41.762812.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2022-06-06 22:41:41.762812.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 133

DMS1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Fenton, Mi
Had some frustration with my Rimx but figured it out. Installed my proof barrel and dropped it into my B14R stock to shoot while I wait for my Altitude stock to come in. I had to sand a little in the barrel channel, but everything looked OK. I had some misfires and primer strikes and ground the my cocking piece down .010". I was still getting light strikes and what I thought were some flyers. I took the action out and put marker to line up with where the bolt closes. When I put it back in the HMR stock the bolt hits the stock about 3 degrees from fully closed. It needs enough removed that I'm just going to wait for my other stock. I figured I would mention it incase anyone had a similar issue.

DMS1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Fenton, Mi
My new stock (Mesa Altitude) came in, opened it up to Hawkins M5 today, and could not believe how much I had to remove from the bolt handle inlet, and I could still remove a little more to get it to close a hair. Is this normal? I had the same amount of interference with my Bergara HMR stock.

I stayed light on the stock, it’s just at 9lbs for a plinker with the strike eagle on it. I would prefer not to carve up my new stock like this…
2018A66F-A6BE-4415-AE44-011A306247C9.jpeg
DF053DD2-6EC4-44BE-9AA0-885911775FEF.jpeg

Boxerglocker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
Lynnwood, WA
My new stock (Mesa Altitude) came in, opened it up to Hawkins M5 today, and could not believe how much I had to remove from the bolt handle inlet, and I could still remove a little more to get it to close a hair. Is this normal? I had the same amount of interference with my Bergara HMR stock.

I stayed light on the stock, it’s just at 9lbs for a plinker with the strike eagle on it. I would prefer not to carve up my new stock like this…View attachment 7901514View attachment 7901518
Open it up as much as needed to positively close with additional clearance all the way around the resting bolt handle. Some stocks can easily accommodate the 20 degree swept back bolt of the RimX others cannot. That's pretty sweet setup, actually been thinking of going a similar route with my second RimX action, lightweight overall with a scope more in the 3.5 to 18 range and a suppressor.

DMS1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Fenton, Mi
I'm pretty impressed with the stock, but it was advertised as 24 ounces and is really 27. Still 5 ounces lighter than the AG composites I was waiting for. I could shed 8-9 ounces with 5-22 LHT, but I really like the features on this scope!

Nodak

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2019
I want one of those so bad. Just can't decide what 4 rifles need to go in order to build it. Sure wish there were options between this and BMag/Ruger

Good Boi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
Is the RimX action a short action or long action?

Does anyone know of a 700 LA rimfire action?

Good Boi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2019
Lol....or have 2 or 4 or 6 $1000+ chassis...just a thought. What do I know....or get a cheaper chassis....another thought.
Please remember that not everyone may have the purchasing power you may have to buy multiple $1000+ chassis'. Also, purchasing a cheaper chassis defeats the purpose of having a matching training rifle for a larger caliber rifle.

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    Please remember that not everyone may have the purchasing power you may have to buy multiple $1000+ chassis'. Also, purchasing a cheaper chassis defeats the purpose of having a matching training rifle for a larger caliber rifle.

Im not sure a 22rf short action equates to a large caliber long action training platform.....so the quick answer is no the RimX is a short action you'll need a new chassis

kthomas

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 17, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    KRG Bravo is a great budget chassis to look into.

kthomas

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 17, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Really considering hard having Travis at TS Customs build a Rim-X .22 for me.

Just need to decide on JAE (what my Mausingfield has) vs Foundation, and what scope to get.

Last edited:
    Reactions: HenryTheAce

HenryTheAce

Pushing Tin
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Sep 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Really considering hard having Travis at TS Customs build a Rim-X .22 for me.

Just need to decide on JAE (what my Mausingfield has) vs Foundation, and what stock to get.
    I went foundation! I’ve never fondled one but I’m looking forward to it. Travis actually recommend I call Greg at Primal Rights as he had a few options readily available.

Reactions: kthomas and orkan

Thorbeast

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 23, 2014
    What's the consensus on proof prefits?

Very easy to source one, and quite affordable, but will I regret it? Carbon would be preferred (my young son would benefit from a lighter setup), but are the steel barrels generally more accurate?

Should I spend more to get a higher quality barrel? Or would a more expensive barrel not necessarily be more accurate?

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    What's the consensus on proof prefits?

Very easy to source one, and quite affordable, but will I regret it? Carbon would be preferred (my young son would benefit from a lighter setup), but are the steel barrels generally more accurate?

Should I spend more to get a higher quality barrel? Or would a more expensive barrel not necessarily be more accurate?

From my experience the Proof provide good accuracy but not as consistent or forgiving across a wide range of ammo like Bartlein, Krieger or Benchmark..

Reactions: Thorbeast

Schütze

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2018
    If you don’t know keystone accuracy you could give John a call and see what is available.

Reactions: Thorbeast

Schütze

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2018
    Or bison tactical, I have no experience with them personally but heard good things

flatland1

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2005
    Western Kansas
    I've used several Krieger barrel blanks on my Stiller, 40X, & Vudoo rifles, with excellent accuracy across the board, in two contours from #4 sporter up to Rem sendero. The sendero is a little lighter than the VGW Kukri, and the #4 sporter was used on a lighter weight V22 sporter in a Manners EH2 stock that still came in at 9lbs. I much prefer barrels no shorter than 22". My original V22 repeater, with a 22" Krieger sendero in a Manners PRS1T stock, with an Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scope weighs just a hair over 12lbs. With my old, worn-out shoulders, that's as heavy as I want to deal with, so when I read about guys using a heavy bbl contour in a chassis and then having to add weights to get the balance they want - and winding up with a 22RF weighing around 20lbs, I just shake my head, because the idea of dealing with that much weight makes my shoulders ache just thinking about it...lol To each his own...

Reactions: Schütze

Schütze

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2018
    @flatland1
    Aren’t you the proud owner of the straight pull anschütz ? If so, you need no RimX or Vudoo 🤣😂

Last edited:

littlepod

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    Or bison tactical, I have no experience with them personally but heard good things

Bison Tactical prefits are chambered by Modacam Custom Rifles. It's probably the best prefit out there.

bfk4lyfe

Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2010
    CA and NV
    My local Scheels currently has a fair amount of SK Rifle Match in stock. I only have parts on order (and haven't even decided on a barrel yet, but it'll be from one of the names in this thread) for my build, but is this something I should buy a bunch of while I have the opportunity?

b6graham

MMPRL
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jul 29, 2014
    Colorado
    My local Scheels currently has a fair amount of SK Rifle Match in stock. I only have parts on order (and haven't even decided on a barrel yet, but it'll be from one of the names in this thread) for my build, but is this something I should buy a bunch of while I have the opportunity?
    if it's a decent price then yes

even if you only use it for the first 1-2k through the gun to break in. if the gun loves it then great. if not nbd its good training/break in ammo

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    if it's a decent price then yes

even if you only use it for the first 1-2k through the gun to break in. if the gun loves it then great. if not nbd its good training/break in ammo

With the right lot...SK+ and RM have shot with the best of them....its just taken more lots to find a great one that performs at 100yd and beyond.... CX an R50 has been much more consistent and a lot less lots to test...

At 50yd...they all shoot really good in a good RimX barrel...

b6graham

MMPRL
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jul 29, 2014
    Colorado
    With the right lot...SK+ and RM have shot with the best of them....its just taken more lots to find a great one that performs at 100yd and beyond.... CX an R50 has been much more consistent and a lot less lots to test...

At 50yd...they all shoot really good in a good RimX barrel...
    Yup. I've had SK ammo perform good at 50 and good at 100+ and CX perform trash at 50 and somehow perform match winning good at 100+

Thats the fun of rimfire

And right now...get what you can and make it work

flatland1

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2005
    Western Kansas
    Back in 2016, I could still order lot samples of SK from wholesalers, and I'd buy two boxes of as many lots as they had, as long as they had a few unbroken cases of those lots. I had to test at least a dozen lots of Rifle Match before I found one that I felt was worth buying in quantity, and had the good fortune to find two cases of that good lot at a supplier who was running a dealer special on it, with free freight & insurance! I knew it was a good deal back then, but with today's shortages, a deal like that would be like striking gold. It took testing about the same number of lots of Lapua Center-X before I found a really excellent lot, but due to poor luck & timing, there was no more of that lot available by the time I'd tested & found it. I don't pretend to know which factors have been most to blame for the current shortage of SK/Lapua ammo, but I sure do wish we were still able to buy & test lot samples with the ease that was common 6yrs ago. The ammo shortages have taken a lot of the fun out of owning several precision custom barreled rifles.

flatland1

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jul 7, 2005
    Western Kansas
    That's what I'll likely do with my two V22S rifles - if these frickin' high pressure domes ever stop building and keeping our temps up in the triple-digit range so I can get a few hundred rounds fired through the new Benchmark 3-groove I put on the older single shot, and the Shilen ratchet I used on the new single shot in the nice English walnut stock that I posted photos of here. Would like to go into next shooting season with good ammo for both rifles. Still have several bricks of the lot of Center-X that I bought after having them test my old original V22 repeater a couple of years ago. And that ammo is pretty good in the two single shots, but if nothing else, it'd be interesting to find out whether the Benchmark & Shilen like the same lot of ammo...

Williwaw

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 25, 2020
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    Back in 2016, I could still order lot samples of SK from wholesalers, and I'd buy two boxes of as many lots as they had, as long as they had a few unbroken cases of those lots. I had to test at least a dozen lots of Rifle Match before I found one that I felt was worth buying in quantity, and had the good fortune to find two cases of that good lot at a supplier who was running a dealer special on it, with free freight & insurance! I knew it was a good deal back then, but with today's shortages, a deal like that would be like striking gold. It took testing about the same number of lots of Lapua Center-X before I found a really excellent lot, but due to poor luck & timing, there was no more of that lot available by the time I'd tested & found it. I don't pretend to know which factors have been most to blame for the current shortage of SK/Lapua ammo, but I sure do wish we were still able to buy & test lot samples with the ease that was common 6yrs ago. The ammo shortages have taken a lot of the fun out of owning several precision custom barreled rifles.
    I'm not able to test lots or send a rifle to Lapua and I have to always buy by the case. Of course if I had money to burn I could do all of these things but in reality they are quite impractical for my location.

I am currently comparing SK Rifle Match, Long Range Match and CX trying to determine if CX, bought by the case and untested, is worth risking the 60 percent premium. My question to you is not how many lots of SK or CX it took to get a winner but how frequently did each brand turn out to be a real stinker. There is nothing worse than realizing that I have a real loser case to work my way through ... that is two months of hell.

Not all bad in the north though, temps in the low 70's.

padom

SuperMod
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    I'm not able to test lots or send a rifle to Lapua and I have to always buy by the case. Of course if I had money to burn I could do all of these things but in reality they are quite impractical for my location.

I am currently comparing SK Rifle Match, Long Range Match and CX trying to determine if CX, bought by the case and untested, is worth risking the 60 percent premium. My question to you is not how many lots of SK or CX it took to get a winner but how frequently did each brand turn out to be a real stinker. There is nothing worse than realizing that I have a real loser case to work my way through ... that is two months of hell.

The higher priced, higher quality ammo less lots to find a winner vs the cheaper stuff....I've had more consistent luck with SK+ vs RM finding stellar lots bur CX way more than SK flavors...

You aren't stuck with those cases.. post them up for sale.. what doesn't shoot good in your barrel may shoot lights out in someone elses....I've seen it time and time again...

Reactions: JKW70

bfk4lyfe

Minuteman
    Jul 1, 2010
    CA and NV

how bad is 'bad' lot of the higher end ammo in this game with an otherwise good rifle?

Williwaw

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 25, 2020
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    how bad is 'bad' lot of the higher end ammo in this game with an otherwise good rifle?
    Ten shot groups at 50 yards should hold 12mm outside to outside and no more than a couple surprises per box, one complete surprise and a couple others that don't result in a dropped point is acceptable. Any worse than that and it is an exercise in patience to get through the case.

Good question. These are only my expectations. Long range guys would likely have different metrics.

littlepod

Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    Ten shot groups at 50 yards should hold 12mm outside to outside and no more than a couple surprises per box, one complete surprise and a couple others that don't result in a dropped point is acceptable. Any worse than that and it is an exercise in patience to get through the case.

Good question. These are only my expectations. Long range guys would likely have different metrics.

My last lot of CX testing was pretty meh, and some lots did do better than others -

1659848470281.png