• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shilen 13 twist taper lapped Stainless Select Match blank came yesterday. Looking forward to testing this barrel out at distance.

I also have Wilson barrels http://wilsonarms.com/ (NOT Wilson Combat) who are confident their rimfire barrels will shoot with the best of them sending me 2 blanks that will be here shortly. 16 twist... gonna send these to Mike @ Manzella Precision to have these all chambered with my reamer and the 2 Wilson's I'll test at 20" and 24"...

I honestly never heard of a Wilson rimfire blank but I guess we will find out soon enough. Stay tuned.....
Looking forward to hearing your results with the 13 twist shilen!

Reactions: padom
I just picked up a MullerWorks 13T. It is going to Mike ASAP. The Kreiger he cut for me is shooting .3-.4 at 100 with RWS50. I’m thinking of going to 24” on this barrel and possibly adding a tuner. Loving the RIMX and the ease of barrel changes.

I just picked up a MullerWorks 13T. It is going to Mike ASAP. The Kreiger he cut for me is shooting .3-.4 at 100 with RWS50. I’m thinking of going to 24” on this barrel and possibly adding a tuner. Loving the RIMX and the ease of barrel changes.

Looking forward to your results.

I had a MW rimfire years ago on a CZ and it was a tack driver.

Then a few years ago Mike @Vudoo said they returned lots of MW blanks and made the switch to Shilen for the Vudoo benchrest builds because of lots of out of spec barrels.... so I haven't been eager to buy one to play with. Looking forward to your testing!

Well hopefully those issues are history, but I will let you all know after Mike works his magic.

I'm looking at purchasing a Rim-X action in the next couple months and building a PRS22 rifle around it to compete in PRS22 next year. Is there a preferred barrel mfg and twist rate for use in that discipline? What about the Proof steel prefit? Are they worthwhile for PRS or should I go custom (e.g. Keystone, PVA, etc)? Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Reactions: rookie7
I'd be interested in hearing how you get along with the Nevius chamber in a Rim-X - I had issues with an EPS chamber being too tight at the back of the chamber, and causing feeding issues in my Rim-X. The Nevius is even tighter than the EPS... I wound up cutting enough of the shank off to remove the whole EPS chamber, then re-cut the tenon and used a JGS Win52D reamer to cut a new chamber. That solved my feeding issues...
I will say that it was a little tight in the beginning but it seems to have worked itself out. I am currently using SK Match ammo, and as soon as Bullet Central gets some Eley in I am going to give that a shot and see what happens. I did talk with the smith at BC and while talking we were looking at the Win 52D reamer as well as the Nevius. I decided to go with the Nevius as I knew how the 52D shot and I wanted to try something different.

100 yards the rifle is an absolute hammer with the Sk Match ammo. I will try and get to the range tomorrow and I will get some pictures of the groups I am getting with different ammo.

Reactions: drglock
I'm looking at purchasing a Rim-X action in the next couple months and building a PRS22 rifle around it to compete in PRS22 next year. Is there a preferred barrel mfg and twist rate for use in that discipline? What about the Proof steel prefit? Are they worthwhile for PRS or should I go custom (e.g. Keystone, PVA, etc)? Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!
I was hoping someone with more experience and knowledge would reply to you, but it looks like your stuck with me.

I have a 26" benchmark barrel with an EC tuner that I purchased from Primal Rights. It's a very good barrel and shoots well with SK RM and the higher end Lapua. Eley tenex shoots CRAZY good out of this barrel. With shipping, tax and cerakote I'm into this barrel for over $1200.

I also have a proof barrel that I purchased used out of the px here. I have only shot the SK RM out of this barrel, as I just recently assembled this rifle. At 50 yards this barrel with the lot of ammo I have shoots better than the benchmark barrel. At 100 yards they are about even and by 200 yards the benchmark is slightly better. I wish we could get these Proof barrels without muzzle theads. This barrel has not been cerakoted, but I'm all in on this barrel for $300.

Both barrels are more than acceptable for prs 22. If you're just starting down this path you will be the limiting factor, not the barrel. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: Matt_3479
I was hoping someone with more experience and knowledge would reply to you, but it looks like your stuck with me.

I have a 26" benchmark barrel with an EC tuner that I purchased from Primal Rights. It's a very good barrel and shoots well with SK RM and the higher end Lapua. Eley tenex shoots CRAZY good out of this barrel. With shipping, tax and cerakote I'm into this barrel for over $1200.

I also have a proof barrel that I purchased used out of the px here. I have only shot the SK RM out of this barrel, as I just recently assembled this rifle. At 50 yards this barrel with the lot of ammo I have shoots better than the benchmark barrel. At 100 yards they are about even and by 200 yards the benchmark is slightly better. I wish we could get these Proof barrels without muzzle theads. This barrel has not been cerakoted, but I'm all in on this barrel for $300.

Both barrels are more than acceptable for prs 22. If you're just starting down this path you will be the limiting factor, not the barrel. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your feedback! It's greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to hear you've had good success with the Proof barrel. I'm not looking for the best barrel (shooting tiny groups), but something that will perform well in PRS. Yes, I will always be the weakest link in the system. I started competing in PRS last summer, so I'm still learning and practicing. A PRS 22 rifle will allow me to get more training and practice in without using up barrel life on my centerfire PRS rifle. I already have a B-14R rifle that I've used in one PRS22 match and it did well, but it didn't balance or handle like my centerfire PRS rifle. So, a Rim-X build is in the works.

I can pick up one of the Proof barrels for a little over $500, so it should work well enough for my needs. Thanks!

I also am looking at a rim x and proof prefit. I see they have 20” and 26”.

Anyone hang a 20” proof prefit off one of these with an ACC, either model? Enough to clear a suppressor when warranted.

Barrel work done by Mike Manzella with a padom Eachus chamber. Absolutely hammers with Midas+.
20230715_070252.jpg

Anyone hang a 20” proof prefit off one of these with an ACC, either model? Enough to clear a suppressor when warranted.
This is a Shilen barrel cut to 22 inches in an ACC chassis. That's a KSS tuner, where the sleeve extends back over the barrel instead of out ahead of the muzzle. You can see the front of the thread protector protruding in front of the tuner.

The tuner is right at 2" in length, so a 20" cut's muzzle would be very close to the rear of the tuner as shown in this (fuzzy) photo.
IMG_3801 2.jpeg

Yes, I can confirm the threads on the 20" clear the acc forend with just a little to spare.

Some new lots of ammo arrived to test in this new Shilen along with all my other lots..

I have found, R50 has been the most consistent and least lot dependant in my Chamber at 100yd and further

I just got in a a 17 Mach2 barrel from Lothar Walther to try on my RimX. I'm hoping its an absolute varmint zapper out to 100 yards. 🙏

I stepped out of the RimFire game for 14 months to see what the Air Gun game was like for NRL22 and that was fun. it will be a match gun still, but I have had this RimX in the safe since Thanksgiving of 2022. It was time to break it out. I am happy I did. She a thick girl and likes faster ammo.

Krieger 16t 23.5' w/ Gen I EC Tuner
Manners TCS Stock
Vortex Gen3 Razor
ARC M-Brace
Modacam Custom Rifles Built!!!!!
19.6 lb as pictured.

IMG_8386.jpeg
IMG_2665.jpeg
IMG_2664.jpeg

Tuner Test
IMG_8421.jpeg

200Y 10 shot group after tuner test.

I'm building up a RimX in left hand. I've got optics and a barrel. Action on the way.

Any recommendations on a trigger? I'd love to not have issues, but also not spend 250+ dollars on a trigger. I'm fine with used. I just don't see much out there.

I'm building up a RimX in left hand. I've got optics and a barrel. Action on the way.

Any recommendations on a trigger? I'd love to not have issues, but also not spend 250+ dollars on a trigger. I'm fine with used. I just don't see much out there.
Right off the bat I would recommend a Triggertech Diamond but that’s way outside your budget. Next best would be the Triggertech Special. Only goes down to a pound but it’s still nice.

Reactions: Schütze

There was a guy selling a LH Timney HIT real cheap the other day... Not sure if it's still avail.

Anyone here having issues with the action gumming up in the rain?

Prior to this weekend I had shot it in the rain a few times with relatively few issues. This weekend the action got really gummed up and gritty when running the bolt. It was covered in between stages, and only exposed on the clock.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Anyone here having issues with the action gumming up in the rain?

Prior to this weekend I had shot it in the rain a few times with relatively few issues. This weekend the action got really gummed up and gritty when running the bolt. It was covered in between stages, and only exposed on the clock.

Thoughts or suggestions?
What ammo are you shooting?

What lube are you using in the action?

I'd try fully stripping the action with alcohol. The a lite lube of a THIN something. I use Lucas.

I only use the grease on the locking lugs and the bolt nose area where the 2 parts slide together.

Reactions: Grizzly_PRS
Centerfire and rimfire I avoid grease on the bolt and raceways for that reason. Places I shoot are dusty and combine that with water? No thanks. I use a really thin coating of oil only on places of wear. If it’s shiny it gets a super thin coat with my finger.

I've been using ALG Go Juice...thin layer on my bolt with a very very small amount of EWG grease on the back of the bolt locking lugs and cocking piece and then wipe off excess....Im going on 13,000 rounds I've yet to have any issues and my bolt is smooth as snot

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I just tested a new lot of R50 over the Labradar today... 25rd 1098 SD 6 out of my 20" Manzella Green Mountain 1.20" Straight with my 22LR Match Eachus chamber and Rugged Oculus on it.... This is why I love this stuff.

R50 Lot# 54-7XR-617

I did a R50 lot test last week and had great results. I ordered 6 bricks of wet my rifle liked. SD 5.4, ES16 30 shots 1116v avg. 23.5" Krieger 1.25.

I did a R50 lot test last week and had great results. I ordered 6 bricks of wet my rifle liked. SD 5.4, ES16 30 shots 1116v avg. 23.5" Krieger 1.25.

While its more expensive, for me, its actually cheaper at the end of the day because I dont have to buy so many different lots of something else like SK RM, CX, SK+ to test and find a good one...

Reactions: Defender32
A friend of mine got several bricks of R50 a year or more ago; I don't know whether he was wanting to use it in some 22RF PRS-style matches, or in one of his Anschutz 22RF metallic silhouette rifles. Not sure where he found it, but he offered me a brick of it to try in the V22 repeaters I have. I've only tried it once, IIRC in one of the Krieger bbls I've chambered with an EPS reamer. I don't recall now whether I saved the target I shot with it, but since I didn't shoot any more of it than that, I must not have been all that impressed with it. Since then, I've bought a very nice Anschutz 1712 and a nice old (1967) Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter - probably should try it in them before giving up on it?

A friend of mine got several bricks of R50 a year or more ago; I don't know whether he was wanting to use it in some 22RF PRS-style matches, or in one of his Anschutz 22RF metallic silhouette rifles. Not sure where he found it, but he offered me a brick of it to try in the V22 repeaters I have. I've only tried it once, IIRC in one of the Krieger bbls I've chambered with an EPS reamer. I don't recall now whether I saved the target I shot with it, but since I didn't shoot any more of it than that, I must not have been all that impressed with it. Since then, I've bought a very nice Anschutz 1712 and a nice old (1967) Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter - probably should try it in them before giving up on it?

I mean.. I would.. most consistently accurate ammo I've tested 100yd-400yd. Sure @ 50yd I have lots of ammo thst shoots tiny groups. But R50 is the most consistent for me @ 100yd and farther. Before that, it was hands down my large supply of Federal UltraMatch which is now gone. The original stuff made by Federal was amazing and the last run I bought up on clearance at stupid cheap prices ($4.99 box of 50) when they discontinued it was actually reboxed R50 being made by RWS for Federal.. was even stamped R50 inside the Ultramatch box tab and I had a mixture of F and RWS headstamps!! Hahaha. That's what made my look to R50 when I shot the last of my Ultramatch

Today, I was shooting a piece of steel in a 12-14 mph cross wind @ 200yd testing this new lot and getting chrono numbers. After dialing for the wind they were stacking right on top each other...

For anyone interested, I just tested a new lot of R50 over the Labradar today... 25rd 1098 SD 6 out of my 20" Manzella Green Mountain 1.20" Straight with my 22LR Match Eachus chamber and Rugged Oculus on it.... This is why I love this stuff.

R50 Lot# 54-7XR-617
where did you buy the lot

where did you buy the lot

I'll for sure try it in the GM bbl that Mike Manzella is doing for my Rim-X when it comes back. I should mention that the 1712 didn't shoot a known good lot of SK Std+ worth a hoot at 50yds, but it tightened right up when I fed it a new good lot of SK Rifle Match after trying three good lots of Std+ in it. And as far as that goes, I've still got several boxes of the Federal Ultra Match (3 different lots of it) that I should compare to the R50 in the GM on the Rim-X. As far as that goes, I should try all 3 lots of the Fed GM UM22 in the GM bbl with EPS chamber that's on the Rim-X now... So much shooting that needs done, so much heat and so little time...

Look up anshutz north America don't go to creedmore sports. Anshutz north America carries every lot of rws that hits the shores. They are the importer for rws. Sam

I spoke to Dan @ Anshutz North America today. He told me that they are not the only one that imports RWS. He said Champions does as well.. Regardless, thanks for the tip. I have 6 lots on the way to me to test today.

Just got back from testing more lots of R50, RWS Special Match and a new lot of Center X @ 200yd in my Manzella Precision 20" 1.20" Straight Green Mountain with my chamber.

Lets just say, this barrel is straight hammering right now. This is only the 3rd outing. First outing I shot mostly 50yd and maybe 5 or 6 groups at 100yd.. Second outing, yesterday was cut short. I maybe shot 40rd.

Many sub moa groups at 200yd today with a little wind. Switching 4-7mph wind. When I timed it, I shot some really nice groups. Ive been saying it all along, the Green Mountains are probably the best value RimX barrel out there. They shoot unbelieve for the money. Talking to Mike yesterday, I think he already sold half what he got from GM last month. Im sure those 12-14 blanks he has left will be gone pretty quickly.

200yd from the bench using a Seb Neo

R50 Lot# 68-7WR-582
SD 6.6

R50 Lot# 61-6WR-554
SD 5.3

RWS Special Match
SD 5.1

Center X
28558/601517
SD12.1

R50 Lot# 61-6WR-554
Total of two 10 shot groups @ 200yd. If you remove that 1 high flyer on the first group below, the other 9 shots are 1.51" otherwise its 2.02" 10 shots.. The 2nd 10 shot group below measures 2.53".. If you remove those 2 high flyers, the other 8 shots measure 1.47"...

And here is the single lot of RWS Special Match I had. I shot the lowest SD and the fastest velocity of all the ammo I tested. I shot these three 5 shot groups which really surprised me. Needless to say, I just ordered a case of it ;)

Here is the single new lot of Center X I tested today. SD was double the RWS ammo but outside of the 2 flyer, it shot 1.56" 8 shots @ 200yd which is excellent... I shot a second group before this one that had 6" of verticle in the 10 shot group but I did just switch from RWS to Lapua so that could be a lube deal because it tightened up when I shot this below 2nd 10 shot group... I still see more random flyers from the CenterX vs the RWS..

Last edited:
Reactions: 021411
A lot of people don’t give enough credit to Green Mountain blanks. The right people can make them lasers and go toe to toe with the big boys.

Reactions: drglock and padom
The brick of R50 I have is a couple of years old IIRC, and the lube on it isn't as greasy as SK/Lapua, more like Eley Match, but just a little different, perhaps not quite as thick as some of the black box I have that's 3-4yrs old.

I bought two CM straight 1.20" dia, 27" long 22RF blanks from Green Mountain about 2yrs ago. I intended to use the taper attachment that came with a Precision Matthews 14x40 lathe to contour them, but that turned out not to be a practical route, so they just sat in the shop for a year or so. Then I decided I wanted to try to get some use out of them, and so sent them to John Scandale at Keystone Accuracy to have him profile them on his CNC lathe. We went with his Palma sport contour, which is almost as heavy as a M24. I had him do the Rim-X tenon on one, and to finish it at 24" with a 11* crown. I had him leave the other one as it finished in the Palma sport contour. They came back in a timely fashion, just as I'd specified.

I chambered the one he'd semi-finished with my EPS reamer, but had problems that I felt were due to the chamber being a bit too tight for reliable feeding in the Rim-X, as it was knocking loaded rounds out of engagement with the extractor as they were being fed, causing jams. Perhaps doing a little more radical radius work on the chamber mouth would've fixed it, but instead, ran a JGS carbide 52D reamer into the existing EPS chamber. The 52D is .003" larger at the rear, and shorter than the EPS, so it didn't touch the leade of the EPS chamber. It fixed the feeding issue, but accuracy wasn't acceptable. I had a phone conversation with Ray at Zermatt, and he suggested that, if I had enough shank length to do it, to part-off the entire chamber and start over again with the 52D reamer from the start. I did that, and the feeding was still fine, and accuracy did improve a good bit - though it's still not on par with any of the four V22 repeaters I have. Three of them have EPS chambers cut in Krieger blanks with the same reamer I originally used on the GM for the Rim-X, while the other one was purchased as a bbl'd action directly from VGW, with a 22" Kukri Bartlein, so it has the Ravage chamber, and is at least as accurate as the other three with EPS chambers. Padom has mentioned that some of his other GM bbls needed to have a few hundred rounds run through them before they started shooting really well, and I'm pretty sure I haven't put more than 100-150rds through the GM I'm talking about.

So after reading Padom's reviews of the Rim-X pre-fits he's gotten from Mike at Manzella Precision, I decided to send the remaining contoured GM blank to Mike and have him chamber it with Padom's reamer, and finish it at 24". While I'm waiting on that bbl to come back, I'm wanting to put another few hundred rounds through the GM with the 52D chamber that's on the Rim-X. Just need a day when it's not 100*+ outside, then I could put some known good SK Std+ & Rifle Match through it, along with all three lots of the old Federal GM UM22 (re-branded RWS), and finally, some of the R50 I have. If it's not too blessed hot, and I have a little more patience than I usually do, I might wipe the bore with a couple of wet patches then dry patch, between brands. I use Ed's Red, which isn't a real aggressive solvent. I owe it to the GM bbl that's on the rifle, plus I really want a valid comparison between the two GM bbls & the 52D & Eachus chambers. The guy who was running the fun PRS-style matches at a club 170mi from here has stopped holding those matches, and if nothing else, this Rim-X/Green Mountain comparison will give me an excuse to do some extensive shooting...

Is the lube on RWS like Lapua ammo or Eley ammo?

I pulled out boxes of Eley Tenex, brand new recently received Lapua CenterX and brand new RWS R50..

I would say R50 lube is more like Lapua but less of it on the rounds..

CenterX is almost like an oil but very slightly sticky...more oily though and rounds are very wet

The older Tenex I have here is the complete opposite. Very gummy, thick and sticky like wax...not oily at all

The R50 is slick and oily like Lapua but the rounds are not as dripping wet of it.. just a thin layer on the rounds...

Thats the best way I can describe the lube on each

Reactions: Dawhit
I pulled out boxes of Eley Tenex, brand new recently received Lapua CenterX and brand new RWS R50..

I would say R50 lube is more like Lapua but less of it on the rounds..

CenterX is almost like an oil but very slightly sticky...more oily though and rounds are very wet

The older Tenex I have here is the complete opposite. Very gummy, thick and sticky like wax...not oily at all

The R50 is slick and oily like Lapua but the rounds are not as dripping wet of it.. just a thin layer on the rounds...

Thats the best way I can describe the lube on each
The reason the Eley lube is like wax is because that is what it is. Bees Wax. Even though some people may not like the lube, Eley 10X has been a top performing remfire ammo for years!

Thats pretty common knowledge. That wasnt his question. His question was how does R50 lube compare to Eley and Lapua....
Yes it is, but from your description , very gummy, thick and sticky like wax. doesn't sound like you knew what Eley lube is!