• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a prs2 right now and the guy that set it up done so flawlessly. It runs like a swiss watch. But wanting to try a matrix chassis. Anybody had issues with the matrix? Or how hard will it be to set up

I have a prs2 right now and the guy that set it up done so flawlessly. It runs like a swiss watch. But wanting to try a matrix chassis. Anybody had issues with the matrix? Or how hard will it be to set up
Torque action screws

Set mag height

Done

Reactions: nakoa01
It shoots well, I had initial problems apparently related to chamber chamfer, rechambered locally with a modified 52D reamer and it performs great now. After reading the barrel test I decided to try a Krieger (Bartlein wait was too long) and am using Jonathan after hearing glowing reports about him. Love the triggertech trigger and just moved it from an MDT chassis to MPA.

It shoots well, I had initial problems apparently related to chamber chamfer, rechambered locally with a modified 52D reamer and it performs great now. After reading the barrel test I decided to try a Krieger (Bartlein wait was too long) and am using Jonathan after hearing glowing reports about him. Love the triggertech trigger and just moved it from an MDT chassis to MPA.
Yep ! Been waiting on my Bartlein for 3months 1 week and 4 days ! Went with a faster progression for long range. Right now the 14t shilen shoots the best past 400 they all run close at 50 Proof ,shilen and GM.

Using a Matrix here. Totally reliable feeding but it’s heavy for PRS 22 and very butt heavy. Will be switching to a Manner’s PRS stock As soon as I can get one!

Using a Matrix here. Totally reliable feeding but it’s heavy for PRS 22 and very butt heavy. Will be switching to a Manner’s PRS stock As soon as I can get one!
Not gonna be much better balance wise. Still rear heavy even with the a419 5 weight rail
(20" HV barrel)

To achieve balance with the Matrix chassis required added weights to the forend and a barrel tunner plus a Accutac bipod (21oz. Bipod) Total weight is 19lbs. 15oz. Crazy for a 22lr!

The RimX and my friend’s Bergara tag teamed this sod poodles at 366 yards. Shooting 22lr at that distance on prairie dogs is an absolute riot and it’s great practice off the tripods.

6A03C315-F2B4-47D0-92A0-B7F3089967F8.jpeg

I know I am curious too about PVA. But they said that lothar walther does their barrels for them on the rimx. Had 2 LW and wasnt crazy about what I saw in a cz

The RimX and my friend’s Bergara tag teamed this sod poodles at 366 yards. Shooting 22lr at that distance on prairie dogs is an absolute riot and it’s great practice off the tripods.
It sure is! 455yds is my personal best with 22lr on a Pdog to date. I've hit some further, but I refused to count them until I had one laying there dead.

Any one have experience with Bison Tactical barrels? The test targets they show are impressive plus the accuracy guarantee and test target furnished is hard to beat. I have a Krieger barrel being chambered by Jonathan Elrod who does their barrels. He has a long history of 22rf work and is recommending a modified JGS match reamer that has performed very well in his testing. After having the GM barrel I got with my action finally up and running, I am looking forward to the next step.
I have two friends who shoot them and get really good results, they both run the 24 but I got the 20. Just waiting on my action to try it for myself.

I've got thePVA 1:12 in 20" with the match chamber. It really likes Eley Club and Match EPS 100-200yrds so far. Don't have any Lapua to test. It also like SK Biathlon. I've been testing on/off for about a month between this and a GM 1:16 20" barrel from Keystone. The GM barrel likes more choices overall with a touch less accuracy 100yrds plus. I'm prob going to sell it and just run the PVA.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm that the PVA RimX barrels are from Lothar Walther ?

It sure is! 455yds is my personal best with 22lr on a Pdog to date. I've hit some further, but I refused to count them until I had one laying there dead.
Have you found any bullets to work better than others? I was pretty disappointed with the amount of dogs that take hits to the chest and then just scamper away and make it back down a hole instead of dying quickly. My guess is that it's just the nature of the beast with a slow cartridge at extended yardages but it would be nice to have them anchored a little quicker.

Have you found any bullets to work better than others? I was pretty disappointed with the amount of dogs that take hits to the chest and then just scamper away and make it back down a hole instead of dying quickly. My guess is that it's just the nature of the beast with a slow cartridge at extended yardages but it would be nice to have them anchored a little quicker.
No such thing with a 22lr at distance. I've hit them with all manner of bullets and the only ones that flatten them are segmented hollow points... but they are not accurate enough for consistent distant impacts, so... it is what it is.

I don't concern myself with the ethics of shooting prairie-destroying vermin. A bullet in them, is success. When I want to see the fun acrobatic stuff, I load up some 50gr at 4000fps in an 8 twist 22 creed.

What you dont reliaze is you are actually operating in LEAN manufacturing environment. You have by default eliminated WIP work in progress while establishing the same end results. You do not have to transport a shovel, dig a hole or handle the product. During your transaction therefore making it more efficient. They dig their own holes and bury themselves right before your eyes at any distance , without you having to move. I would reccomend you send your barreled action to a proven test facility, to have ammunition that they make matched to it. This will decrease your shot dispersion and allow for more head shots. It will also allow for you to examine your end product , but remember you will be subverting back to a time proven process which is a old standard. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: Browninglover1
No such thing with a 22lr at distance. I've hit them with all manner of bullets and the only ones that flatten them are segmented hollow points... but they are not accurate enough for consistent distant impacts, so... it is what it is.

I don't concern myself with the ethics of shooting prairie-destroying vermin. A bullet in them, is success. When I want to see the fun acrobatic stuff, I load up some 50gr at 4000fps in an 8 twist 22 creed.
That's exactly what I figured. For our acrobatic fun we did 80 grainers out of our 22 Creeds. It was electrifying.

What you dont reliaze is you are actually operating in LEAN manufacturing environment. You have by default eliminated WIP work in progress while establishing the same end results. You do not have to transport a shovel, dig a hole or handle the product. During your transaction therefore making it more efficient. They dig their own holes and bury themselves right before your eyes at any distance , without you having to move. I would reccomend you send your barreled action to a proven test facility, to have ammunition that they make matched to it. This will decrease your shot dispersion and allow for more head shots. It will also allow for you to examine your end product , but remember you will be subverting back to a time proven process which is a old standard. 😉
It just sucks when you don't get trophy photos. Pics or it didn't happen? lol

It'd be interesting to know what brands of true match 22RF ammo were available here in the States back in 1968-70 when we still had dozens of big dog towns around here. At the time, I didn't know anyone who was shooting smallbore and so would've known enough about 22RF accuracy to explain to me what was needed for consistent hits on PDs out to 100yds. Myself & most of my friends back then were still in high school, and were just learning to reload for our first CF rifles that we were shooting PDs with. About the only time we shot PDs with our .22 rifles was in the spring when there were lots of pups out, before they wised-up enough to run down their holes when they heard a vehicle drive up. And I doubt there were any of us who ever shot any sort of game with solids instead of HPs. We didn't know what we didn't know, and most of us were probably happier not knowing how accurate the higher priced bolt action single shot target rifles were compared to our pump/lever/semi-auto rimfires...lol

Reactions: Browninglover1
Hello. I thought my experiences might be helpful to others with Rimx. My setup is a Onyx chassis, RimX 22lr, Krieger 24" 24M profile. I had 1st action had a binding so it was replaced and had super service by Ray. New a action is smooth and now functions great.... but it needed help. The 2nd action at first would force the head of of the bullet and dent nicely every round. Some rounds were never be captured and then never let bolt go into battery. Everything was sent to Ray and came back with advice to be sure and fast with bolt and 100s of rounds.... all will work good. This did not work much better. So this is was what I did about it.
First I polished my bolt face and feed lips of the magazine with super fine polish. This was out of some rounds easily transfered from magazine to bolt and others did not. Not very "controlled feed" . I also recalibrated magazine height to the tallest with it latching in but not to tall that the magazine falling out without latching ... nice and super close to tight with hardly any play.
Now all is good with all bolt speeds and most ammo brands .... eley, SK and Lapua great. CCI and other hmmm?.. okay the ammo that is accurate is feeding great.
My 2 cents. Charlie

So once you fixed your magazine height to what is required it worked?
Would you please be so kind and share your experience / observations on this very subject?

I'm asking because I run into some trouble setting the mag height correctly. After 3 - 4k rounds with the rimx and having failures to eject every 60 to 100 rd's I discovered that my mags may be adjusted to high. The rim of the extracted round hits the mag feed lips slightly and jumps out before reaching the ejector. But it seems to me that the mag needs to be all the way up to allow correct feeding.

Is it just a "sweet spot" between the two ?

Would you please be so kind and share your experience / observations on this very subject?

I'm asking because I run into some trouble setting the mag height correctly. After 3 - 4k rounds with the rimx and having failures to eject every 60 to 100 rd's I discovered that my mags may be adjusted to high. The rim of the extracted round hits the mag feed lips slightly and jumps out before reaching the ejector. But it seems to me that the mag needs to be all the way up to allow correct feeding.

What chassis/stock/bottom metal?

Mines set up basically as low as it needs to be to allow for solid feeding and then just slightly higher

Never seen or heard of an FTE so thats got me

Reactions: Rimdenter

If your having extraction issues pull bolt clean under extractor remove all build up with plastic pic. Examine micro edge of extractor if it looks like one in pic that's chipped away give Ray a hollar for new one.

Attachments

• 20210314_141238.jpg
    20210314_141238.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 73
3 different chassis , Oryx, ACC, and a Vision. Happens in all 3. Extractor and tensioner where replaced, but extraction is not the issue anyway. Happens relatively rarely, sometimes I run 8 mags without failure.

3 different chassis , Oryx, ACC, and a Vision. Happens in all 3. Extractor and tensioner where replaced, but extraction is not the issue anyway. Happens relatively rarely, sometimes I run 8 mags without failure.
The only time I have ever had ejection issues is when I do not run the bolt all the way back (short stroke) or really slow.

I’m guessing every chassis requires a different mag catch height and feed lip height.

here was my process: I loosened the magazine adjustment about a few thousand at a time and retighten until there was very little play in The mag and it still dropped free.

I cycled dummy rounds and adjusted as needed, for me in an MPA chassis the measurement (adjustment) was approximately .45.

the second magazine I just adjusted to .45 no trial and error fitting, works just like the other.

zero malfunction so far.

I’m guessing every chassis requires a different mag catch height and feed lip height.

here was my process: I loosened the magazine adjustment about a few thousand at a time and retighten until there was very little play in The mag and it still dropped free.

I cycled dummy rounds and adjusted as needed, for me in an MPA chassis the measurement (adjustment) was approximately .45.

the second magazine I just adjusted to .45 no trial and error fitting, works just like the other.

zero malfunction so far.
i use metric allen keys

easy 1/2 mm adjustments

Reactions: basman
Here is how my gunsmith says to adjust your magazines.
"Brief explanation of mag setting – you want to keep moving the catch on the back of the magazine until the magazine just clicks into the bottom metal. The mag will bottom out on the receiver so you really can’t set the mag too high, you’ll just move the catch down too far for the mag to click into the dbm."

Honestly, that doesn't sound like very good advice. There's a mile of mag malfunctions between "mag just catches on mag-latch" and seating high enough that feed lips rub the bottom of the bolt. It's all that space in between that people are trying to nail down.
Where does it say anything about feed lips rubbing the bolt? If your running some reverse engineered copy of an AICS chassis you can have trouble with your rimfire.
Thats my email from Travis Stevens TSCustoms, they build all the Primal Rights RimX rifles, and they built mine which runs flawlessly.

Your post didn't. It was vague. The feed lips will rub the bottom of the bolt if you adjust the mag high enough.

No doubt Travis Steven's does a fantastic job, but what you posted is vague and not clear. Basically says, "...somewhere between the mag latch catching and not too high because the the mag will top out on the receiver..". And actually it will top out on the bolt body.
Thats a copy of Travis Stevens email to me about adjusting my magazines
Again:) "Brief explanation of mag setting – you want to keep moving the catch on the back of the magazine until the magazine just clicks into the bottom metal. The mag will bottom out on the receiver so you really can’t set the mag too high, you’ll just move the catch down too far for the mag to click into the dbm."

In my case the mag is slightly to high, dropped the adjustment last night on all 4 mags to were the extracted rim/case will not touch the feed lips on its way to the ejector. Still feeds the blue dummy rounds. Will test today at the range and find out with live ammo.
Thank you all for your suggestions.
If this doesn’t work I’ll may have to step away from chassis in these 22’s and get quality bottom metal with the correct dimensions.

Headed to the Chattanooga Rifle Club in the morning to shoot their version of a NRL22x/PRS rimfire match with my son in-law. 200 & 300 yards. Tested my available ammo, shot groups on paper, got zero's, I think I'm ready:)
RWS R50, Groups at 50, 100, 200, & 300 yards. 50 Yard zero, 1.8mils to 100, 6.1 mils to 200 & 12 mils to 300
TSCustoms RimX, Nightforce NX8 4X32x MilC
IMG_9009.jpeg

10 shots 50 yards
IMG_9281.jpeg

10 shots 100 yards
IMG_9284.jpeg

Ten shots 200 yards
IMG_9285.jpeg

Ten shots 300 yards
IMG_9314.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep ! Been waiting on my Bartlein for 3months 1 week and 4 days ! Went with a faster progression for long range. Right now the 14t shilen shoots the best past 400 they all run close at 50 Proof ,shilen and GM.
I am having a rifle built by Joe Chacon and he definitely recommends Shilen ratchet (seems to be the go to for benchresters). I got mine in the mail yesterday and will ship it to Jonathan Tuesday. He did a superb job on my Kreiger with his chamber. He texted me just after sending me the Krieger and said that the Kreiger like mine with the chamber he has changed to was used by Chris Simmons to win the NRL national championship. Pretty good credentials plus he is a great guy to work with and has good turnaround time.
BTW, the Kreiger shoots great, I just want to compare with a Shilen. The Shilen will also allow me to try one of Joe's tuners, it has the correct diameter muzzle without needing a shim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seymour Fish
How long are you going on the barrel?
24" I asked Joe for a recommendation. He said he had surveyed lots of winning 22 shooters and the majority said they had found that best for accuracy. The good thing is, it is easy to shorten one, not to easy to make it grow. I sent the barrel off today and this will give me a chance to compare it with the Shilen, plus, I will be able to try out his tuner. He sets them up using the Purdy formula which from what I have read on other sites seems to work and eliminate a lot of burned testing ammo. I just got in touch with Jonathan. He says Chris Simmons barrel was 20" his is 22. My Kreiger is 22. I'll compare the 2 when I get the Shilen. I have a local guy who can give me a 2 day turnaround if I decide to go shorter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seymour Fish