• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the heaviest 18” or 20” barrel profile this action can support?

Finally got the funds and pulled the trigger.

man this bolt is so smooth. 100% smoother than my 40x. live the metal mags. need to adjust the tab in back its missing some feeds but other than that an awesome day.

View attachment 7769752

Regards
DT
It's nice to be able to take your buddy along shooting without having to worry about damaging his/her hearing, isn't it? I take my Australian shepherd/border collie cross along with me all the time; use Ultra 7 suppressor on every CF rifle I shoot, and 22TD on 22RF rifles if I'm just plinking. Std vel ammo doesn't make much noise when fired out of 22" bbls, especially with a tuner on the muzzle.

Reactions: D_TROS
What is the heaviest 18” or 20” barrel profile this action can support?
1.25" straight. and id guess you can run them much longer. i have a 32" 1.25" straight on an origin. i'm also guessing the tenon of the RimX is much stronger

We really need some more 17 WSM moderately priced barrel options. I ordered a Lothar Walther from OpticsPlanet 2 months ago and just recently contacted Lothar Walther to find out they don't even know when they'll be back in production. So here I sit with an action I can't use until I find a barrel maker that can do a prefit I can install myself.

We really need some more 17 WSM moderately priced barrel options. I ordered a Lothar Walther from OpticsPlanet 2 months ago and just recently contacted Lothar Walther to find out they don't even know when they'll be back in production. So here I sit with an action I can't use until I find a barrel maker that can do a prefit I can install myself.
Give Primal Rights, or Travis Stevens at TS Customs a call. It will be done right.

Reactions: Zermatt Arms
I have a 20" M24 1/2x28 prefit ready to ship. Call anytime.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube

Shot my first match with my new Rim X on Sunday, but I was frustrated by the number of light primer strikes (truthfully, the dent in the rim looked normal compared to a fired case, but it did not ignite). It was very cold around or under 20 degrees with wind and I was shooting Eley Tenex. I had 6 of these instances out of ~ 100 shots and of those six, each time it was two bullets in the same mag that did not fire. The rest of the time it ran fine.

Can anyone offer some insight as to why this may be occurring, or common causes of failure to fire with this action? Is it improper magazine seating, temperature and bullet selection, etc? Like I mentioned I'm very new to this platform so my knowledge and experience with it are still minimal. I'm taking a half-day from work later this week to do some more shooting and ammo testing.

View attachment 7780953
Probably your trigger, your chamber, or a combination of both.

Reactions: Droptinetrader
It’s a trigger tech special 2 stage for reference.
i couldnt run a TT diamond in mine. switched to a BnA and the issue went away. i did have to get the chamfer on my barrel redone and have an updated firing control group.

with the ones that didnt go off, im guessing a second strike sets it off (recock on the light strike without extracting)

i couldnt run a TT diamond in mine. switched to a BnA and the issue went away. i did have to get the chamfer on my barrel redone and have an updated firing control group.

with the ones that didnt go off, im guessing a second strike sets it off (recock on the light strike without extracting)
What about your TT Diamond didn’t allow you to use it?

There's a thread that outlines the issues with pre-recall triggertech triggers. I can't confirm whether they have completely fixed it or not... but I can simply tell you that the RimX's will certainly discover trigger problems. ;)

I run TT's in all of mine...

It has to do with cocking piece to sear engagement and drag therein.

I've had the same issue recently. The last three times I went out I've had half a dozen light primer strikes that went off the second time around that was never an issue before. I was thinking maybe it has to do with the cold I don't know? But I'm running a TT Special as well. I thought maybe there was just gunk in the firing pin channel but I've cleaned that every time and it still happens.

I've had the same issue recently. The last three times I went out I've had half a dozen light primer strikes that went off the second time around that was never an issue before. I was thinking maybe it has to do with the cold I don't know? But I'm running a TT Special as well. I thought maybe there was just gunk in the firing pin channel but I've cleaned that every time and it still happens.
I just had a special do the same thing in a 17WSM a couple weeks ago. 17WSM's are super notoriously hard rimmed though. Swapped to a diamond, and problem went away. Clearly some TT's have problems with some of these actions. Others go 10,000 rounds an no hiccup.

I just had a special do the same thing in a 17WSM a couple weeks ago. 17WSM's are super notoriously hard rimmed though. Swapped to a diamond, and problem went away. Clearly some TT's have problems with some of these actions. Others go 10,000 rounds an no hiccup.
Do you generally see fewer problems with Diamonds as opposed to Specials, or is the defect percentage relatively equal?

Do you generally see fewer problems with Diamonds as opposed to Specials, or is the defect percentage relatively equal?
This is the first time I've had an issue with a special. This special is probably pre-recall... but they didn't "recall" the specials either...

It should be noted that the same special works fine in a lone peak fuzion...
Just something specific about the action/trigger combo. They get right on the edge of correct sear engagement sometimes and just don't work.

People seem to think there's a "sure thing" trigger they can go to these days with every action. It's just not the case. No trigger manufacturer seems to be batting 100% with every action.

I let accuracy and precision lead my choices, and thus far the TT's sure do have great uniformity of ignition. (as long as the above problem isn't present)

I've ran a Bix & Andy Tacsport pro, close to 8000 rounds with exemplary performance.
Tried a Trigger Tech Diamond two stage for a couple hundred rounds did not care for it. (Just wanted to try one)
Scored a XTSP Mod 22 with the adjustable shoe in the classifieds here on the Hide and really like it. Running it at the moment. Shot a match this weekend in cold weather no problems.

One thing I noticed is sear height and cocking piece engagement are all over the place with aftermarket triggers (Remington 700 platform)
If your cocking piece is picking up the trigger sear a little short that will cause light strikes and other issues.
Running high performance custom action with high expectations, really takes a knowledgeable gunsmith to sort out any issues.

This is the first time I've had an issue with a special. This special is probably pre-recall... but they didn't "recall" the specials either...

It should be noted that the same special works fine in a lone peak fuzion...
Just something specific about the action/trigger combo. They get right on the edge of correct sear engagement sometimes and just don't work.

People seem to think there's a "sure thing" trigger they can go to these days with every action. It's just not the case. No trigger manufacturer seems to be batting 100% with every action.

I let accuracy and precision lead my choices, and thus far the TT's sure do have great uniformity of ignition. (as long as the above problem isn't present)
I don’t have this issue but for those that do. Would you recommend them contacting TT about a replacement? I find it interesting that the specials are now having some issues. I remember a thread here where Triggertech diamonds were having issues which I think you brought to light.

I used Jewell HVRs on my Stiller 2500XR & two CMP 40X/XB repeaters using V-22 mags, then went to TT Diamonds on my two V-22 comp rifles and the RimX I built a couple of years ago. No problems with Diamond triggers in any of these rifles....

Reactions: reubenski
Shot my first match with my new Rim X on Sunday, but I was frustrated by the number of light primer strikes (truthfully, the dent in the rim looked normal compared to a fired case, but it did not ignite). It was very cold around or under 20 degrees with wind and I was shooting Eley Tenex. I had 6 of these instances out of ~ 100 shots and of those six, each time it was two bullets in the same mag that did not fire. The rest of the time it ran fine.

Can anyone offer some insight as to why this may be occurring, or common causes of failure to fire with this action? Is it improper magazine seating, temperature and bullet selection, etc? Like I mentioned I'm very new to this platform so my knowledge and experience with it are still minimal. I'm taking a half-day from work later this week to do some more shooting and ammo testing.

View attachment 7780953
Its the trigger you are using , had the same issue, use a trigger tech

I had a lot of problems with misfires/light strikes with my initial Rimx. I pictured some of the cases that showed slight bulging on the forward part of the rim. The problem was an improperly chamfered chamber. I ended up getting a reamer and having a local gunsmith rechamber it with instruction from Ray. I had another barrel set up by JElrod and both now function flawlessly. I went with the TT diamond and once my chamber issue was corrected, no more problems. I have used it in both MPA HSS and KRG BRAVO with no issues other than having to monkey with magazine height adjustment. Love my Rimx and can't wait to get my Shilen ratchet from Jonathan to test against my Krieger and GM. I'm impressed with how well the GM shoots with the modified 52D chamber and reasonably priced Eley and CCI.

Anybody running a proof carbon? How is the accuracy in terms of groups? Ammo choice?

I am currently running a proof comp… it’s not bad but looking to improve. Any suggestions on a 22” barrel? Where to buy and type? I would like something a bit longer than 20”.

Reactions: MilSpecOkie
I am currently running a proof comp… it’s not bad but looking to improve. Any suggestions on a 22” barrel? Where to buy and type? I would like something a bit longer than 20”.
I went with Patriot Valley Arms but they are currently out of stock. No idea when they will have some. So I would recommend @orkan when he gets them in stock. The proof is further back in this thread.

Reactions: xocyrusx

I recently have had a Rim X work its way into the collection. Purchased a barreled action used locally, to dabble in the PRS / NRL gig. I play in the rimfire ARA bench rest world, and have very high accuracy expectations with all of my equipment. The RimX came with a what I would call one of the 'major players', 18 inch hog leg of pre-fit as a part of the deal. Immediately ordered up a new pre-fit, by a smith that knows rimfire. There's a little more to chambering a 22lr, than most know. Chambering style, reamer selection, and finished length all play parts in a barrels accuracy potential. If you are going to spend some real doe on a custom barrel you should know that most of the hand lapped rimfire barrel makers, will have a slight taper / or pinch located in the barrel at the the muzzle end. This is where the smith will place the muzzle, after slugging.

On with a shameless shill, I went with Owens Ordinance out of McCook NE. They know how to do rimfire right. Owen's barrels have on occasion bested my Gorham rig, as well as any of the other major players in rimfire accuracy. 4 weeks to spin up a Shilen Select Ratchet R5, that wound up finishing at around 24 inches. They have quite a few Shilens in house. Sighted and broke it in this last weekend, and looks to be a good shooter. Good lot of Eley black box and this was the very first 4 groups at 50. Shot a couple at 100, and cherry picked the best of the 3 groups. Bonus, his chambering will allow for unfired extraction, at least with Eley. Also attached, a PSA for any RimX owner, check your extractor. Mine had a big ole chip out of the face.

nrej8f4.jpg

FikEvFO.jpg

fYfSqQo.jpg

Last edited: