• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

@SpotterUp, man that's poor customer service from some supposed "nice guys", proper treatment would been a new quality finish cut barrel at your original orders specs. Have you informed Bison of the crap product sent back to you? If so, I'm quite surprised they continue to use them, multiple stories like this will cost them a lot of business in the future. Maybe they just don't care as their relationship with modacam presents largest profit, unfortunately a lot of this drives our industry. Perhaps this was a once in a blue moon event, but the fact you received junk, and were returned junk again after supposed remedies is an absolutely subpar product.

@SpotterUp, man that's poor customer service from some supposed "nice guys", proper treatment would been a new quality finish cut barrel at your original orders specs. Have you informed Bison of the crap product sent back to you? If so, I'm quite surprised they continue to use them, multiple stories like this will cost them a lot of business in the future. Maybe they just don't care as their relationship with modacam presents largest profit, unfortunately a lot of this drives our industry. Perhaps this was a once in a blue moon event, but the fact you received junk, and were returned junk again after supposed remedies is an absolutely subpar product.

Yeah, you're right - I probably should have contacted Bison again to let Fred know what my final result was. I just had other things going on and it was easier for me just to let it go (I didn't have faith I was going to get a good final product anyway). I'm with you - I believe I deserve a new barrel with a nice chamber, but since Fred works with Modacam, I'm didn't think he wasn't going to pay for a different gunsmith to do the chamber work (that's if he agreed to replace my barrel, and I never had that conversation with him).

I have had issues with this before where reamers blew out and my chamber had a burr that had to be recut. The problem is these smiths don't get direct supply of barrels. So basically if a mistake happens, there's two options... try to recut your barrel and make it work. Wait the backorder for a barrel to come in. Benchmark is about 9 months, and Krieger is currently at 12-14 months.

In my case, with my centerfire build, I had it setback 1" as well and there were still some issues (this is through a different smith), but I chose that over waiting for another barrel to show up a year later.

I have had issues with this before where reamers blew out and my chamber had a burr that had to be recut. The problem is these smiths don't get direct supply of barrels. So basically if a mistake happens, there's two options... try to recut your barrel and make it work. Wait the backorder for a barrel to come in. Benchmark is about 9 months, and Krieger is currently at 12-14 months.

In my case, with my centerfire build, I had it setback 1" as well and there were still some issues (this is through a different smith), but I chose that over waiting for another barrel to show up a year later.

Sadly, I just don't think people put the same amount of effort and care into jobs they do for other people as they put into things they do for themselves. You're very lucky if you find a gunsmith that's detail-oriented and treats your stuff like his own.

Sadly, I just don't think people put the same amount of effort and care into jobs they do for other people as they put into things they do for themselves. You're very lucky if you find a gunsmith that's detail-oriented and treats your stuff like his own.
Please reach out to me via email with your order info so I can get this addressed. I just got pinged on this thread, so wasn't aware this was an issue. I am sure we can get this resolved for you.

When you have an issue and you decide to let it slide, that is fine. However, I have a real hard time with not contacting the seller to make it right, yet taking the time to dump on them online. I sell some very high end and extremely reliable tech, but once in a while there is a failure. It happens, and I expect my customers to inform me ASAP and I will do my best to make it right.

Please reach out to me via email with your order info so I can get this addressed. I just got pinged on this thread, so wasn't aware this was an issue. I am sure we can get this resolved for you.
At the risk of sounding like a smartass and I apologize if I do.....this.... contacting the vendor with any grievances is something I would have done first thing.

Reactions: Hegre
When you have an issue and you decide to let it slide, that is fine. However, I have a real hard time with not contacting the seller to make it right, yet taking the time to dump on them online.

I don't feel that I "dumped on" Fred or Bison Tactical at all. I happened across a post that read "Bison Tactical prefits are chambered by Modacam Custom Rifles. It's probably the best prefit out there". My own personal experience with Modacam's work didn't square with this, so I shared that experience in hopes of saving somebody else some trouble (and I'll stick by it).

I sell some very high end and extremely reliable tech, but once in a while there is a failure. It happens, and I expect my customers to inform me ASAP and I will do my best to make it right.

I did "contact the seller to make it right". Fred (the seller) got me in touch directly with Modacam, they got the barrel a second time, and took a shot at fixing things. Keep in mind, I had already spent a considerable amount of time on phone and email communication about this.

After getting the barrel the second time, I admit I gave up. I guess you're saying I shouldn't have, and maybe you're right.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
At the risk of sounding like a smartass and I apologize if I do.....this.... contacting the vendor with any grievances is something I would have done first thing.

As I mention in the post above, I did just that. The result was a second go-round with Modacam.

For those of you who think I handled this wrong - It's possible that I did (I'm far from perfect). I didn't feel like chasing things any longer. though, or missing more matches. I also didn't believe Modacam would be able to provide a product that I'd be happy with (based on my experiences).

Anyway, I appreciate your opinions.

Last edited:
There are a lot of things at play here. Some within my control, and some not being this is not a direct customer.

That said I’m sorry you had issue and given the opportunity I’m sure between me and/or Fred things can be resolved. I 100 percent stand behind anything that comes out of this shop. What I’m not going to do is go through a forum to do it. It’s not professional and it’s not me.

We have a long standing reputation of customer service that’s above and beyond. I’m very proud of that and that interaction with customers is important to me. We are humans though and things happen. It’s the nature of any business. If you haven’t done so please contact one of us to get this resolved.

There are a lot of things at play here. Some within my control, and some not being this is not a direct customer.

That said I’m sorry you had issue and given the opportunity I’m sure between me and/or Fred things can be resolved. I 100 percent stand behind anything that comes out of this shop. What I’m not going to do is go through a forum to do it. It’s not professional and it’s not me.

We have a long standing reputation of customer service that’s above and beyond. I’m very proud of that and that interaction with customers is important to me. We are humans though and things happen. It’s the nature of any business. If you haven’t done so please contact one of us to get this resolved.

HI Jonathan - thank you for contacting me. I just contacted Fred.

I'm glad you're proud of your work, and that you stand behind it. It is possible that my barrel is an exception - I can only go by (and share) my own experience with the product I have in front of me.

Anyway, enough of this post - it's gone farther than I intended and (you're right) this isn't something we should continue here.

Reactions: kthomas
Several weeks ago I parsed this thread and saw there were 200 yd matches being conducted with Vudoo single shots. Impressive results. Has anyone been able to keep 20 or 25 shots within a 1 MOA circle at 200 yd with best edge scoring?

I'm not commenting on the timeline of events in Spotterup's situation. I definitely have to say it's the complete opposite of my dealing with @jelrod1. Jonathan was nothing but first class in every aspect of building my RimX Krieger with EC Tuner. Email, phone calls and even text messages for status and updates he is a busy guy but always took the time to get back to me. It's a matter not if but when I have him build me another barrel or do complete build. Amazing work and customer service.

Mitchell

Attachments

• 20220914_154135.jpg
    20220914_154135.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 115
To say my Vudoo from Modacam is amazing would be a understatement. The thing is a absolute Hammer and sub MOA to 400yds. He is building my second Vudoo at the moment and I have no doubts it will be even better than the first one. I have shot a lot of custom .22s and there is ZERO comparison. Those on here that have seen my rifle know exactly what I am talking about. In a World full of Mediocre rimfires there is a reason I send rifles from Texas to North Carolina….

One other thing I would like to add is this..
The Top positional rimfire shooter in the World is Chris Simmons.
2x NRL X National Champ and 2021 PRS National Finale Winner.
I’ll give you 1 guess on who spins his barrels.
I’m sorry you had a bad experience, but Jonathan has never been anything short of professional in my experience. Always going above and beyond. I’m sure he will make this right.

I'm glad to see some of Jonathan's other customers speaking up to relate their positive experiences with his Modacam Rifles company. I sent Jonathan a couple of CMP 40X/XB actions several years ago - it was either late 2016 or early 2017 - to have them converted into repeaters to use V22 mags, and had nothing but positive things to say about his work. I did the bbl work on both actions after they came back from his shop; he watched the tracking and called me the day the 1st one was delivered to explain what I should look for while finishing the tuning of the extractor & pusher, since neither action I sent had a bbl installed, he was very limited in what he could do in regards to those parts. I recall that he spent over 30 min on his dime talking me through removing those parts from the bolt and what to do to make them work well in the repeater mode in these formally single shot actions. I've spoken with him several times over the past few years since then, and it's always been a positive experience. I'd really like to meet him in person and do some shooting with some of our 22RF repeaters - as would a couple of my shooting buddies out here in Kansas who've also sent him their 40X actions for the conversion & barrel work. It's not hard to understand why Mike Bush was pleased to send Jonathan the drawings so that he could begin doing the conversion jobs...

Not trying to dump on SpotterUp, and sorry he had the bad experience with his Vudoo. Just wanted to relate my experience with someone I consider to be a great guy, fine machinist, and an excellent gunsmith.

Bad pic but my rim x is done. Ill take it to the range next week then I'll see how she shoots

Attachments

• 20220916_172407.jpg
    20220916_172407.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: HenryRed
@SpotterUp I’ve won almost every rimfire match in the country for the past 3 years with a Modacam Custom Rifle. And before that I was winning with a Remington 40x he converted. Then we talk about his centerfire rifles he built and the wins I have with them over the years. Come to my local club and see 80 percent of the guns there he also built with no issues. I know @Fred @ Bison Tactical and Johnathon both personally. If you really brought an issue to them it would be resolved. You have been on this forum less than a week and your first posts are bashing a company? Your credibility is nothing sir.

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Dennis, I’ve got two English Pointers I’m sure would like to make a trip to Kansas to chase some prairie chickens or quail. It’d be great to shoot with you guys too. Of course y’all are all welcome out here too.

The original issue here was a tool mark seen with a bore scope in the chamber on a prefit from here. Once known we set it back and from these posts the fix was not satisfactory. Between myself and Fred there have been offers extended for something satisfactory and I do hope things can be resolved.

I find no fault in spotterup for a negative review. Although something I’m not used to it is within anyones right to do that. I feel quite sure this has gotten more attention than any of us ever wanted.

Again I appreciate the kind words. The feedback I get from you guys keeps me experimenting and testing so hopefully you can win by wider margins with each one.

@SpotterUp I’ve won almost every rimfire match in the country for the past 3 years with a Modacam Custom Rifle. And before that I was winning with a Remington 40x he converted. Then we talk about his centerfire rifles he built and the wins I have with them over the years. Come to my local club and see 80 percent of the guns there he also built with no issues. I know @Fred @ Bison Tactical and Johnathon both personally. If you really brought an issue to them it would be resolved. You have been on this forum less than a week and your first posts are bashing a company? Your credibility is nothing sir.

To call (a portion of) my criticism of Modacam's work "bashing" might be fair. My frustration/disappointment is what prompted me to post, and though I intended to stick to the facts, it did wind up showing through (this I regret). I know there are friendships (and emotions) at play here, so I apologize for offending anyone. I'm actually not new to Snipers Hide, just the new version of the site - I was an active member on the original site for several years (just a data point - but I'm sure that doesn't matter to you). I get that you don't trust me.

Jonathan and Fred did both reach out to me, and they are both respectful and professional people. I can see that Modacam has earned a devoted customer base, and that makes me happy, not angry. I get that Jonathan makes high-quality, winning rifles (keep in mind that I neve complained about my barrel's accuracy), and I get that my experience must be an exception, not the rule.

It seems my sub-thread is going to drag on, though, as those who took offense need to defend and counter-attack. I'm now on trial in the court of public opinion myself, and I get the dynamic. I would post the borecam video here (it's the same one I sent Jonathan) so you can judge me top to bottom, but it seems that we can only post images, not videos. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll email it to you. Maybe you'd acknowledge I actually had an original issue, but I suspect this wouldn't change your attitude towards me.

As for the second set of issues (what I perceived is unsatisfactory machining on the shank and the barrel finish being banged up once it came back), I'd have to pull the barrel off (for the former) and then strip the coating off (for the latter) to take pictures to post. Is it worth it? Would it make a difference? I don't think so for a couple of reasons. First, many would say it doesn't matter what the it looks like as long as it shoots. They might have a point but the details matter to me (I just can't help it). Second, I think much of the controversy comes down to me giving up instead of contacting Jonathan again (and then posting about my negative experience later). Again, the reason I gave up is because I didn't want to miss matches and because I had other stuff going on. I also didn't have faith that I'd get a resolution, but I believe I was wrong about this (especially after hearing from Fred and Jonathan due to this post).

Anyway, I should probably stop posting in this thread at this point. I think there will still be incoming fire for a while (I understand why and I can handle it), but I really didn't realize what a hornets nest I was going to stir up. This takes a ton of energy and time.

Last edited:
This is why I don’t post much , opinions , facts , etc ,,,,,,,,, people get too heated
there was a discussion and you had ,,,, a moment ? ,,,,, that you felt strongly about and shared your experience , maybe you should have discussed with Fred and Jonathan ,,,,,,,one more time
Let’s look at the big picture at this point , you did not jump up and down and scream and bash , you laid out you experience with them , negative and positive
What has come of this ? You learned to ask one more time maybe ?maybe others did too ? And we learned ( if we have not dealt with Fred and Jonathon , I haven’t ) that they will take care of their customers professionally and respectfully , we also probably learned to contact any business /individual and give them a chance to correct the issue
Yes there will be continuing “fire “ , humans seem to love drama now days , I'm getting older and the good old quiet days , small town are missed
Don’t sweat the small stuff , enjoy your time on this earth , we all have “ moments “ let’s have a good rest of the weekend

I think I'm starting to get this Foundation Centurion figured out. Di Precision Kreiger MTU 22" barrel w/ EC tuner. Same one for over 5K rounds now. MCR is spinning up a complete build at his time with a 1.25 Krieger and EC Tuner. That build is going in probably going in a foundation as well. This Centurion was machined to take my RimX and Origin. JK Truit of Foundation Stocks is a standup guy to work with.
60FC90EC-6F64-47EF-B5F3-6BC0C8A9F769.jpeg
tempImagesiPOXQ.jpg

I think I'm starting to get this Foundation Centurion figured out. Di Precision Kreiger MTU 22" barrel w/ EC tuner. Same one for over 5K rounds now. MCR is spinning up a complete build at his time with a 1.25 Krieger and EC Tuner. That build is going in probably going in a foundation as well. This Centurion was machined to take my RimX and Origin. JK Truit of Foundation Stocks is a standup guy to work with.
View attachment 7961300View attachment 7961301

If you want it to balance easier, just get more length on the barrel like a 24-25". My blank could only get to 23", should've sent in a longer blank, but we'll see how it all balances out.

Reactions: Defender32
Anyone have a lead on steel pre fit barrels from Proof? I wanted a 26" when they popped up earlier this year, but naively thought a 24" would soon follow. Well, I haven't seen a long pre-fit in stock anywhere for months. Now I'm thinking 26" or so might be best for balancing reasons anyway. If you know of somewhere that might have a barrel 24" or longer, shoot me a PM.

If you want it to balance easier, just get more length on the barrel like a 24-25". My blank could only get to 23", should've sent in a longer blank, but we'll see how it all balances out.
My blank is the same way 23" max. Told Elrod to make it work where it needed to work. I can order a stock in a lighter configuration if that's what I stay with on the RimX. The Envy Pro is hanging on the wall for a little while.

Reactions: littlepod
DE892A3D-B82A-4729-91C6-DF65E99D1247.jpeg

After being much awaited, just picked this up today and set it up!

Got from @orkan and sent it to Daniel at Primal Finish!

RIMX 22lr, benchmark barrel, Hawkins bottom metal and rings, foundation revelation stock, atlas psr, da mask, s&b 5-25 PMII

Excited to hit the range!

Attachments

• 0703A97D-EE5D-4A28-B7A2-D76A4D081DF2.jpeg
    0703A97D-EE5D-4A28-B7A2-D76A4D081DF2.jpeg
    805 KB · Views: 102
  • B01B16EA-B00B-42ED-A2F2-72059AD2D316.jpeg
    B01B16EA-B00B-42ED-A2F2-72059AD2D316.jpeg
    633.5 KB · Views: 97
2 new 20" RimX barrels arrived from Manzella Precision for full testing and review today

20" Bartlein M24
20" 1.25" Straight Green Mountain 4140CM

Looking forward to get out and start testing these next week. Machine work looks excellent! Chamber looks great.
Very interested in hearing the results! I have a rimX on order through Mike, 27" m24 bartlein blanks already in his shop. Mike's my go to for a new prefit.

Reactions: padom
I cannot remove my barrel from my action. I don't want to screw it up, any ideas? I have the barrel vise and the action wrench. I did not take out the extractor yet? I applied some kroil to soak in the threads near the breach face.

This is such an easy thing to do that I’m not quite sure how anyone could help you without doing it for you.
The ejector only needs to be removed if the action is torqued on very tight, it allows to insert the wrench all the way in closest to the barrel and you don’t risc to “twist” the action.
I just tighten mine snug without the use of a torque wrench, therefore I don’t remove the ejector.

If you would be in my area, I’d say come over and I show you.

Last edited:
I cannot remove my barrel from my action. I don't want to screw it up, any ideas? I have the barrel vise and the action wrench. I did not take out the extractor yet? I applied some kroil to soak in the threads near the breach face.
Is the barrel slipping in the vise, or can you just not break the action free? If it’s the latter try a quick snap of force as opposed to steady pressure (after you preload the action wrench some).

Is the barrel slipping in the vise, or can you just not break the action free? If it’s the latter try a quick snap of force as opposed to steady pressure (after you preload the action wrench some).
Barrel not slipping , paranoid about doing the quick snap of force. I will get a bigger socket wrench and maybe go that route.

This is such an easy thing to do that I’m not quite sure how anyone could help you without doing it for you.
The ejector only needs to be removed if the action is torqued on very tight, it allows to insert the wrench all the way in closest to the barrel and you don’t risc to “twist” the action.
I just tighten mine snug without the use of a torque wrench, therefore I don’t remove the ejector.

If you would be in my area, I’d say come over and I show you.
This barrel wasn't installed by me. It has been cerakoted , maybe the threads were too, that be the cause.

Use a long breaker bar... Harbour Freight sells a 1/2 drive 25 inch one for less than $20.
I will suggest this as well. Load the breaker bar, and either you or someone helping can hit the action where tenon screws in with a non marring dead blow hammer if its very stubborn.